It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News! Gulf of Mexico oil spill: BP fits cap on ruptured wellhead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Breaking News! Gulf of Mexico oil spill: BP fits cap on ruptured wellhead

www.teleg raph.co.uk

The US Coast Guard confirmed that British-based BP had successfully attached the cylindrical well cap onto the jagged top of the crippled wellhead assembly using underwater robots, CNN reported.
"The placement of the containment cap is another positive development in BP's most recent attempt to contain the leak," Coast Guard Admiral Thad Allen said in the statement while adding that it would take "some time" to gauge the cap's ability to stem the oil, CNN said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Could this finally be the solution that works? Or is this just another ploy to ease the growing impatience of the general population?

The official announcement will be made shortly if this is truly deemed a success, let's just pray that this one works although I don't believe this is the end.

I have seen references to a much larger leak about 5 to 7 miles away from the riser, indicating that there is a break much further down than the sea floor leak at the riser. Bp is not showing us these other leaks. - They have only focused on the bop, which is merely a pony show designed to make folks think BP is trying to do something...but after 10 attempts, they have still failed. Why? - because even if they do cap the bop, it solves nothing. The oil is going to continue flowing out of the alternative routes. -

"Matt Simmons was an energy adviser to President George W. Bush, is an adviser to the Oil Depletion Analysis Centre, and is a member of the National Petroleum Council and the Council on Foreign Relations. Simmon is chairman and CEO of Simmons & Company International, an investment bank catering to oil companies. Simmons told Dylan Ratigan that "there's another leak, much bigger, 5 to 6 miles away" from the leaking riser and blowout preventer which we've all been watching on the underwater cameras":

If accurate, the bigger leak could have been caused by the destruction of the well casing when the oil rig exploded.

In my opinion, the only thing that will work is a detonation below the first alternative path of the oil. They can't do that until they drill below that point.( which will take 6+ months) - so they are just stalling and pacifying the public with their pony show until the relief well has reached the appropriate depth, if they did nothing at all while the relief wells are being drilled, they would take a lot more flack than they are with the crazy stuff they have tried.

However, by the time they reach the appropriate depth the gulf will already be dead...but they have no intention of stopping it by detonation anyway, when the relief well reaches the base of the original well hole, they will divert the flow and start $ pumping $

www.teleg raph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by discl0sur3

That's what I've been waiting to hear all day . I hope it works .

I tend to agree with you tho , I don't think this is the end of it yet .

I see the chief executive says this is only the beginning tho .

I honestly think we are screwed , and what he might have meant to say was the beginning of the end .

The other leaks , miles away , still have to be dealt with . How are they going to plug or cap those , if it is escaping through fissures ?

I am at a loss for words on all this . It doesn't look good .

For the love of money is the root of all evil .

[edit on 4-6-2010 by okbmd]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   
The conference is scheduled for 8 a.m. this morning, from the looks of things though, it isn't getting any better very quickly. Also, even IF they are sucking up alot of the oil, the image of any oil spewing out of the seal won't help to calm people down.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Let's all hope it pulls through this time.

We will know in due time.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by TeddiRevolution
The conference is scheduled for 8 a.m. this morning, from the looks of things though, it isn't getting any better very quickly. Also, even IF they are sucking up alot of the oil, the image of any oil spewing out of the seal won't help to calm people down.

Every time I try and view a live feed (any of them) my browser freezes up as of just recently, very odd.
Anyway, is there still oil spewing from the bottom of the riser?

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   
what kind of pressure is the oil under as it must be pretty high to be able to flow how it is at such a depth.
I wonder if the cap will hold.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   
This isn't a fix, this is just a stalling measure.

The fix is getting the relief rig set up which they are working on and won't be operational until August.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
I hate to say this but it doesn't look good. Check out the live footage right now on bp bp live feed

It looks like hell down there

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   
At least its something, to late though. im thinking, maybe they could solder the cap, where the oil leaks from?
another idea i had..goes back to WWII. When we invaded normandy, the artilly guns the germans had, our troops used phosphorus bombs. theyde heat so hot, to melt the interior of the artillery guns barells shut. maybe same thing could be done inside the oil pipes?

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by TwistedAmnion
I hate to say this but it doesn't look good. Check out the live footage right now on bp bp live feed

It looks like hell down there

Wow...does it ever! May have spoken too soon...

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   
i think obama needs to look and sound a little more angrier and frustrated
over all these FAILS at stopping the oil spill.

he seems so calm and collected which leads me (and probably others) that he does not want to get on the bad side of oil n gas donor buddies...

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Well it doesn't look like it's working very well to me when looking at the live feed.

How long will this go on before they admit that they just don't know how to stop it?

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   
I've been watching the live feed on and off since the time they attached the containment cap a number of hours ago ... and three questions stand out in my mind:

(1) If the cap has done it's job, then we should essentially only be seeing an oil plume coming out of the top of the cap where the suction pipe will be attached.

(2) If the cap has done it's job, then why wasn't the suction pipe attached almost immediately ?

But looking at the live feeds, all that I see reminds me of nothing less than an unconstrained plume continuing to be spewed out, with the cap apparently providing no impediment to the flow whatsoever.

And finally ...

(3) Assuming the cap eventually works and they begin to siphon the oil plume up to a storage ship, has anyone even considered how they plan to dispose of (or process) the resulting mega-litres of dispersant, sea water, etc contaminated oil ? I can't imagine that BP would still process it in the same way that freshly extracted and uncontaminated crude oil would normally be processed.

Oh, just thought of one more question

You'd think that the leak they're trying to plug with the containment cap is the ONLY leak there is. But in actuality, just how many separate and distinct ruptures are currently spewing out oil ? Anyone know ?

[edit on 4/6/10 by tauristercus]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   
I hope and pray this works. But I am afraid to be hopeful

This is just such an overwhelmingly horrific situation, that I had to limit what I watched and read about it.

And tonight when I saw the Dawn commercial with the little soapy animals. I cried.. and cried a lot.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by ziggy1706
At least its something, to late though. im thinking, maybe they could solder the cap, where the oil leaks from?
another idea i had..goes back to WWII. When we invaded normandy, the artilly guns the germans had, our troops used phosphorus bombs. theyde heat so hot, to melt the interior of the artillery guns barells shut. maybe same thing could be done inside the oil pipes?

The pressure is way too high to do something like that, unfortunately. I've wondered why they can't just melt metal above the leak until it eventually is plugged by it...but my guess is the pressure is just too great, as someone already pointed out the oil has to be coming out at an enormous PSI to shoot out like we have seen under such great pressure.

[edit on 4-6-2010 by yellowcard]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by FuGGer

Maybe you can persuade him to get angry about the pollution which flows daily from the Mississippi into the Gulf creating a dead zone 8.5K miles sqared.

Obama is only angry because it's on the telly and his advisors have told him to make anti-BP speeches and be shocked that accidents can happen. American oil would love to see British oil shafted and in this competative commercial world you can be sure that Obama will make sure BP (British) is commercially disadvantaged. That's what it is all about.

The shrimp fishermen and the wildlife already suffer from decades of political inaction about pollution flowing into the Gulf and of the gradual decline of the natural environment of the general area.

The oil will be cleared up, but the Mississippi will still be allowed to pollute.

Regards

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by paraphi

Originally posted by FuGGer

Maybe you can persuade him to get angry about the pollution which flows daily from the Mississippi into the Gulf creating a dead zone 8.5K miles sqared.

Obama is only angry because it's on the telly and his advisors have told him to make anti-BP speeches and be shocked that accidents can happen. American oil would love to see British oil shafted and in this competative commercial world you can be sure that Obama will make sure BP (British) is commercially disadvantaged. That's what it is all about.

The shrimp fishermen and the wildlife already suffer from decades of political inaction about pollution flowing into the Gulf and of the gradual decline of the natural environment of the general area.

The oil will be cleared up, but the Mississippi will still be allowed to pollute.

Regards

i dont live in the usa. dont know about the pollution (well now i do) in the mississippi. (damn that was hard to spell LOL)

what i do know is that i do not like that snobbish hayward 1 bit and have always got my gas (and will continue to do so) from shell.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by discl0sur3

All these freaken headlines are so misleading, but ofcurse a multi billion dollar industry would easily propaganda such misleading information.

I have been confused in to thinking the leak has been fixed three times now, and this is one of them.

How do they do it>?

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Here is some bad and some good: Let us hope that the Good can be put to Good use sooner rather than later:

This looks awful, (but it misses N.Y.) .. the Mid Ocean Gyre however ... sad, sad.

Computer models of Gulf Current into the Atlantic:

BOULDER—A detailed computer modeling study released today indicates that oil from the massive spill in the Gulf of Mexico might soon extend along thousands of miles of the Atlantic coast and open ocean as early as this summer. The modeling results are captured in a series of dramatic animations produced by the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) and collaborators.

And The Good, now we may not be able to use this in the Gulf (it could possibly survive in a well or in that vast dome full of oil which we have been saving up), but once out of the Gulf .... I say let it do it's Good Samaritan thing!

May 24, 2010 — Adam Abraham introduces two men who, together, have developed a safe, organic, NON-TOXIC way to remediate the Gulf Oil spill, restoring the sea's ability to sustain the microscopic base of the food chain. www.buildingabetterworldgreen.com

Microbe loves crude, and after consuming goes dormant:

new topics

top topics

join