It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gaza flotilla attack: Israeli ambassador compares raid to Second World War

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Gaza flotilla attack: Israeli ambassador compares raid to Second World War

www.telegraph.co.uk

Israel's ambassador to the United States, Michael Oren, has compared the Gaza flotilla attack with America's fight against Nazi Germany in the Second World War.

In an interview with Fox News, he described the operation, in which nine people died, as "perfectly legal, perfectly humane – and very responsible".

He defending the attack in open waters, saying: "Israel acted in accord with international law. Any state has the right to protect itself, certainly from a terrorist threat such as Hamas, including on the open seas.

"The US acted under similar international law when it fought the Germans and the Japanese in World War Two."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Reports: Israeli ships attack aid flotilla

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 6/4/2010 by semperfortis]

[edit on 4-6-2010 by Nathwa]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I think that the Israeli ambassador might be incredibly arrogant, naive, or possibly both. To compare what occured during the raid to the American war effort in WWII is despicable. My great-grandparents were killed in the French Resistence by Nazis, and if anyone is like the Nazis at all, then it would be Israel. I think that the ambassador's words are not only disgraceful, but a downright lie. Not much else to say beyond that.

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 6/4/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Of course the raid was humane.

The commandos executed unarmed aid volunteers neatly, with head shots, from close range, and apparently didn't steal their organs.

And the toddler they kidnapped and held in front of the captain, with a gun held to to child's head to force the captain to follow orders, he was treated humanely compared to the Gaza residents. He was not deprived of his home, learning materials and half his family and half starved to death.

That's as humane as it gets for Israel.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Lovely.

It was illegal. (as per international law)

It was immoral. (as per any sane human, you don't use soldiers on civilians, ever)

It was bl00dy stupid. (they have just aliented a long time ally, their ONLY in the region, who now has the option to launch a NATO backed war?)

I love how words have more effect than guns. You can shoot a man in the head and say it's ok, and it's ok.

No it isn't. Really.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 02:02 AM
link   
The Israeli propaganda regarding this war crime just keeps getting more surreal. Who is this nonsense directed at? Who believes it? Or are they just desperately in denial and hoping something will stick to the wall?

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Hello,
Isn't this a simple case of "point the finger away from the guilty?"
Anyone who is worth their salt knows that guilty people point to others to divert attention away from the guilty party.

What would one say to a guy like this if he had two black-eyes? Nothing, he's been told twice already.

[edit on (6/4/1010 by loveguy]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Nathwa

Considering a us citizen was shot 4 times in the head and a chest shot, and DECENT President would have this clown on the first plane back to Tel Aviv..
He should really be flogged but we have to abide by diplomatic rules unlike some...

But then Obama will probably ask him to lunch at the WH instead, maybe make a threesome with Biden..

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by yuefo
The Israeli propaganda regarding this war crime just keeps getting more surreal. Who is this nonsense directed at? Who believes it? Or are they just desperately in denial and hoping something will stick to the wall?

Yea, surreal, was thinking the same thing.. like the elite live in a bubble.. that's 25 years in the past.. back when BS like that actually flew, before al gump invented internets-google-mac computer thing that sat on mccains desk mocking him for 15 years.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   
I'm Jewish so please don't interpret what I'm saying as Anti-Semitism.

I seriously think there is either something in the water in Israel, or some sort of mass-hypnosis or subliminal suggestion campaign going on over there.

There is simply no other explanation for how utterly insane these people are. Every year Israel decides to push their brutality to the next level, and commit more human-rights atrocities than they did the year before.

And, despite this, Israelis are still claiming that they are in the right, acting "humanely" (don't make me puke), and completely in accordance with international law, which they obviously are not.

And now, we have this guy comparing the murder of innocent people in international waters to the noble efforts of America during WWII?

Please stop making Jews look bad, Israel. We have been persecuted for thousands of years. Don't you think we could learn from the pains we have endured, and perhaps rise above inflicting those pains upon other peoples? Isn't there room for forgiveness? Isn't there a place for compassion?

Or are we to sink to the level of the very people who oppressed us for centuries?

I would like to address a question to members of ATS:

Are there any Israeli citizens on these boards? How do you guys feel about this? Everything I have seen has demonstrated almost universal Israeli support for the IDF murderers. The entire rest of the world is reacting negatively to your government's actions, so how do the voiceless people in Israel feel about this?

[edit on 4-6-2010 by drwizardphd]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by drwizardphd

Well spoken, kudos to you....
I hate what Israel did and also what they are doing in Gaza, but I can assure you I do not hate Jews.I'm also sure from reading way too many threads lately that most others here feel the same.
Thats despite what alot of the trolls have been saying lately.

I think Israel has a rouge Goverment, pretty much what a lot are saying in the USA about their Goverment.
Dirrerence is the US Gov could not get away with this kind of thing out in the open though I'm sure they have thought about it..

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Don't anyone disagree with mr Oren , or you'll have a label on your forehead : anti-semitic person, jew hater and next thing you'll know you will be accused of denying the holocaust

[edit on 4-6-2010 by charlie_the_loafer]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by charlie_the_loafer

No problems, but I dont deny the holocast, just some of the details surrounding it

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by virgom129
I think Israel has a rouge Goverment,

You sure it's rouge and not cyan, or magenta?

Anyhoo, it's sickening what some of these Israeli mouthpeices have been spouting about this.

Over here in the Uk we have a chap called Mark Regev who speaks on behalf of Israel on the news channels and in spite of some harsh questions from the BBC, he still refuses to even acknowledge that anything untoward happened and that these people on the ships were "extremists".

Every time this man speaks he makes me want to scream at the TV. He is blatantly lying and you can tell so from the way he squirms and sticks to the "party line" and the worst part is he clearly doesn't care, in fact, he gives of an air of total arrogance and an attitude of "So what that we killed more innocent people? We can do what we want". Reminds me of the spoilt brat Cartman pretended to be on South Park.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Theres a few of them around, Biden srings to mind..

And thanks for the english lesson

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Link

Witnesses are saying that some people have been THROWN off the ship, and are missing.
WHAT THE HELL.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Well, at the risk of being flamed...

On the BBC the consensus of international legal boffins was that Israel was perfectly within their rights to prevent the flotilla from running the blockade. International law was not broken, it was upheld.

For the blockade to be legal it has to be effective and enforced. In the eyes of international law if the flotilla had been allowed to get to Gaza unmolested then the blockade would have been shown to be ineffective, therefore illegal. Therefore, for Israel to continue with the blockade (which is also supported by Egypt), the flotilla had to be stopped.

Whether we like it or not, the Israeli blockade of Gaza is to prevent the flow of arms – such as rockets which are frequently fired into Israel. We can all argue the toss about whether a blockade is overkill (and it is, IMHO), but this is the reality of the Israeli policy and a manifestation of the complex situation playing itself out in that part of the world.

We can all criticise the way the Israelis did it and the ensuing consequences. Everyone has an opinion on who did what, when and how – all backed up with increasingly re-edited YouTube videos with associated amateur voice-over. Was it a paint gun or an Uzi? There are too many versions of events, as is typical of the anything to do with this part of the Middle East.

It would be helpful if the Israelis got off their high horses and showed come contrition. The continued inability of Israel to show any sensitivity is part of the problem. On the other side of the coin (and there’s always another side), there was a “peace activist” on the news calling for the illegal state of Israel to be disbanded, which is not really nice either.

Regards

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

Fine but Israel did not wait for them to reach their suppossed blockade so your point is mute.
They attacked in International waters!!!!!!!

If they had of waited for the boats to reach their declared blockade (and I might add daylight) then you would have a point.

But Israel wanted this to happen in darkness..

Maybe you can add why that was so..

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

People can say what they want, but, as Israel has neither formally occupied Gaza nor declared war on Gaza their blockade was against international law.

Thus their actions in forcefully boarding vessels belonging to other countries in the middle of the night were pure piracy, and the aid volunteers had every right to defend themselves.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

It's my understanding that if one has someone under siege/blockade, you are still required by international Law to ensure that food and other humanitarian supplies get through. There are Serbs in the Hague being tried for similiar crimes in Bosnia!

Also, the blockade can only extend to territorial waters, on the High seas this is known as piracy because neither Israel and the quasi-state of Palestine are technically in a state of War.

Also, it is worth noting that all the rockets Hamas fire are ineffective and home made, not imported. Given the extremely limited amount of damage done by these rockets and the amount of damage done by israel in "retaliation", one can clearly see a massive disproportionate response on their part.

I often cite the Troubles as a good example against Israels actions. During 30 odd years of IRA bombing campaigns, many of which were based out of the Republic, the UK never blockaded Ireland pf the most basic of supplies, bombed Dublin or invaded and demolished peoples homes.

And far more people died from IRA bombs than they do from these Hamas bottle rockets.

Yet Israel makes out like they are some sort of unique case? The situation in Northern Ireland is actually very similiar to the one in Israel. One group of people of a different religion moved into another groups country (Scottish protestants into irish Catholics land) and so ensued a couple of decades of religious and nationalist strife.

Maybe if Israel acknowledged that forcing hundreds of thousands of people from their homes at gunpoint might make some of them a bit pissy, then progress could be made.

But nope, they carry on stealing even more land than they originally got in 1947, claiming that because they conquered it it is theirs (which is also against international Law I might add as a signatory to the UN Charter) and then they seem all surprised when some desprate refugee blows himself up on a bus.

Gee, Israel... Why do you effing think this is happening? It isn't rocket science... Jeebus...

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
WOW this is way different! USA was barely attacked in comaprison for the year in and year out attacks that isreal has had to endure. You guys think that isreal cannot be annihilated tommorow are really lying to yourselves. But for some reason You guys say isreal deserves to live like that because they stole the land right? Well wether you guys know it or not but isreali's had that land before the prophet muhammad was even born WAY BEFORE THE CRUSADES! I cannot believe the large influx of anti semites that run amuck on here. Isreali doctrine requires them to attack enemy combatants but isreals enemies celebrate attacks on isreali civilians and you side with these animals SHAME ON YOU! I guess its not 911 style because its isrealis they are already used to it so its ok right? Why do you hate isreal? Maybe you guys prefer we go back to 2002 when isreali buses where exploding 2-3 a week with isreali children being martyred?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join