It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japanese firm wants to transform the Moon into a giant solar power plant

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 03:31 AM
link   
If they can build a belt around the moon, why not around the Earth? Heck, that would save them a few billion $$$, right?

On second thought, I like the idea of having the moon do something usefull.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 03:41 AM
link   
This is a variation of an old idea.

One problem with this idea is that you will get energy only about half a day when the moon is high in the sky. Then when the moon is new you will not get any energy because there will be no sunlight on the moon.

Another problem is getting the energy from the moon to the earth. Any minor errors in aiming and you lose the energy.

It would be much better to put the solar cells in Earth orbit where they will be collecting energy 24 hours a day. Have several of them and you can have energy 24 hours a day on earth.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by rjh01

One problem with this idea is that you will get energy only about half a day when the moon is high in the sky. Then when the moon is new you will not get any energy because there will be no sunlight on the moon.

The sun is always shining on the moon except during a lunar eclipse.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aquarius1
Since we haven't been back to the moon in all these years and no one else has been there either which in itself is very strange maybe there is something stopping us from going there, I can speculate and say that there is already somebody there and they don't want us mucking it up like we seem to do with everything else.
]
Gah

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by aorAki

I had to look up GAH, don't think I have seen it before, it is in the Urban dictionary, going to assume that you agree with me.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

What an interesting idea, and a thought provoking find. Big star and flag.

I wonder if we here in the U.S. are claiming ownerships or rights to the moon since we are alleged to be the only nation who has planted a flag on it?

It would be interesting to find out who if anyone has declared the moon or parts of it belong to them, they way colonial powers did as they explored the earth.

Warning to any indeginous moon people, get good lawyers now!

Oh and form an army, you will need it.

It's a great idea, solar power from space. We could use more clean energy.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Sounds like a very ambitious plan, but it could be done.. It is a huge undertaking, but all it takes is to start doing and from there progress is made...
I don't think anyone has the power to stop this because if the Japanese teams start sending up materials and beginning the tasks, are some of you saying that TPTB will start shooting down these launched vehicles?
As soon as that happens there would be serious fallout in more ways than one because there would probably be multi-national investment in such a project...
I truly believe if they get off their collective butts and start a project like this it will be unstoppable ! Of course there could be a lot of unforseen and not easily understood or explainable mishaps, but....

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
How Lunar Solar Energy Reaches the Earth

Transmitting Energy from the Moon to the Earth

Exploiting Lunar Resources
Lunar resources will be used to the fullest extent possible in constructing the Solar Belt.
Water can be produced by reducing lunar soil with hydrogen that is imported from the Earth. Cementing material can also be extracted from lunar resources. These materials will be mixed with lunar soil and gravel to make concrete. Bricks, glass fibers and other structural materials can also be produced by solar-heat treatments.

www.shimz.co.jp...

They seem to have all their ducks in a row, whether it's a good idea or not it is certainly well thoughout.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Interesting. I think something like this might happen in a few hundred years, but not in our lifetimes. Don't we have plenty of desert space on Earth where constructing such arrays would be far more economical?

Once we fill up the deserts with solar panels then we'll be looking toward the moon.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by yuefo

The sun is always shining on the moon except during a lunar eclipse.

Sometimes the sun shines only on the far side of the moon. If you put solar panels there as well then you have additional problems of relaying the energy to Earth.

Remember even on the moon there is night and day. Just that a day is about a month long. During the night the cells would not be producing any energy.

Putting the cells in orbit around Earth means that you will get far more energy out of any one cell.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Sometimes the sun shines only on the far side of the moon. If you put solar panels there as well then you have additional problems of relaying the energy to Earth.

Remember even on the moon there is night and day. Just that a day is about a month long. During the night the cells would not be producing any energy.

Putting the cells in orbit around Earth means that you will get far more energy out of any one cell.

That's a negative, if you put solar panels on the far side you do not need to put whatever beams the energy to Earth on the far side, since this is a solar panel belt you could just have huge power lines running around the moon parallel to the belt and the destination is the near side.

Cells always get energy, energy is always beamed.

[edit on 9-6-2010 by daniel_g]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Great article Aquarius .

To ensure continuous generation of power, an array of solar cells will extend like a belt along the entire 11,000km lunar equator. This belt will grow in width from a few kilometers to 400km.

link

My concern relates to how noticeable this belt would be from Earth , particularly if it attained the full 400km width.

Will it alter the surface of the Moons luminosity to the point where it clearly noticeable on Earth.
With many land and ocean creatures and plants using the luminosity of the moon integrally in their life-cycles , will these finely adapted responses to moonlight be disrupted .

Such projects are inspiring but equally a cause for concern , they will set stunning precedents .... which will be next to impossible to roll back.
The Corporatisation of the Moon and Earth orbit is well under-way.

The question remains .... 100 years from now , when such projects are a reality , will we still be paying through the nose for energy . ..... having ceded control of the heavens to Big Corp ?

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by daniel_g
If they can build a belt around the moon, why not around the Earth? Heck, that would save them a few billion $$$, right?

Well it does do many useful things, otherwise the moon wouldn't be in orbit of the Earth, our personal natural satellite, that the Earth and all it's inhabitants have adapted to and utilized for millions of years.

It's chief use is regulating our tides in combination with Sol, our sun, and other factors.

No moon, no tides for our oceans, and everything dies.

I'm not for this at all, we have more than enough alternative energy sources on this planet, including the oceans and wind. This is definitely one of those moments where humankind's pride is overdoing itself. Yeah, it will be a technical marvel, but at what cost exactly? The moon has been orbiting this planet for millions of years, and everything on the planet has mad itself quite comfortable with how things work. It's a rather delicate scenario that doesn't need to be messed with in any way, shape or form.

We'll all be dead before they got the mission to 100% anyway, but still, this is ridiculous.

I always thought the first "corporate mission" on the moon would be to construct colossal advertisement billboards visible from Earth, or projections. Every corporation "buying a piece" until it's all used up and littered with crap. Well, this seems to be close enough. This corporation doesn't give a hoot about saving the planet, they want the precious green, and not the natural kind.

[edit on 9-6-2010 by SyphonX]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   
That thing could be use as a weapon, too. A very dangerous one. So.. I have to vote no on this one. Besides, I don't feel like putting all the eggs in one basket.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   
uhmm what about meteorites? What is going to stop all the space debris coming and smashing the panels up?

About changing the look of the moon? really people. We have been changing the look of the Earth since we got here and if it is going to help humanity out, go for it. Its not all about looks.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Optix
uhmm what about meteorites? What is going to stop all the space debris coming and smashing the panels up?

About changing the look of the moon? really people. We have been changing the look of the Earth since we got here and if it is going to help humanity out, go for it. Its not all about looks.

Exactly, if they are so worried about looks and ruining the "sacred" why don't they demolish their ugly houses and go live in a forgotten cave?

I'd rather have a not-that-visible belt around the moon's equator than to have massive oil spills on Earth's oceans. Oops...

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   

if you though leaking oil is bad, how about leaking radiation, or powerful lasers and microwaves striking down planes or burning whole cities....what are the hazards of this kind of energy harnessing? Why not just build a sun in your living room...

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
humm meteors yea thats right even though most would be no bigger then grains of sand the moon and earth get hit with tons of them a day .
the solor cells wouldn't last for a few months then need to be replaced.
so even though were not talking about planet killers all it has to be is dust at gods own speed sand blasting the place.
so wile a nice thought it wouldn't be practical

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by daniel_g

On second thought I have to say the moon is very useful, do you honestly thing we would still be here without it and if we were how would you have those romantic nights under the moonlight.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join