It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oil-Spill Cap Must Have Failed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Folks watch this link:

Skandi ROV1

I'm not too sure on the technical aspects of this method, but the top looks like it's tentatively resting on top of a jagged pipe with oil spewing all around it.

At first I thought the nozzle spraying out the bright white material was some sort of welding tool, but it's actually just a nozzle spraying chemicals directly into the gushing pipe.

Does this mean it didn't work?

Here is a cam of the spewing cap:

Enterpris e ROV2

What do you folks think?

[edit on 3-6-2010 by astronomine]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
One more livecam in which I cannot tell what's going on but it looks like... the cap didn't work:

Enterpris e ROV1

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Have you looked at CNN's live feed video? It appears the oil has actually stopped, or at least the cap has been place on.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
God I hope so. When I was looking at CNN, I saw oil coming out of the sides and the middle of the cap. I'm going to have another look. I hope they stop this volcano.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by harox1619

The second video you can see the cap resting on the spewing oil. The cap that is shown in the second video is the one they have been fussing with on the BP cams for the last few hours.

I checked the CNN videos but I haven't been able to locate the ones with the cap on it.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I'm far from an expert, but the live feed from CNN sure makes it look like the cap is a perfect fit, but there is nothing above the BOP on the video so that makes me worry.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I'm looking at CNN right now. There's oil coming out of the sides and the middle of the cap. Actually, seems like there's more oil coming out now than before. Maybe you're seeing something else.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
The CNN videos look calm and serene. The BP videos look like chaos and that cap they have been fussing with is almost completely surrounded by spewing oil and no longer visible. And what of the spraying?

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Incubus

Here is the link to one of the feeds but I was just watching one of the three that are on the CNN home page, but then the cut the ROV feeds and switched them. I'm not sure what is going on, but hopefully this works.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I think that before they started they warned people that this won't STOP the leak--but the cap will just reduce it. It is designed with those openings on the side to release oil and pressure.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

Yeah I heard that from multiple media outlets. It's just that in some videos the cap appears to be on, it doesn't seem like oil is coming from the seal. Then there are videos where oil appears to be pouring out.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

True, but

www.bp.com...

this link looks like pure chaos still, like the flow is actually going faster. It's not surprising that the CNN camera is a calm one, have to keep the masses in the dark don'tcha know.

[edit on 3-6-2010 by TeddiRevolution]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   

There's also a chance that by sawing off the broken oil pipe, it could release a kink in part of the column and speed the oil flow by as much as 20 percent.

AOL News on the Cap

"If it's a snug fit, then there could be very, very little oil. If they're not able to get as snug a fit, then there could be more," Browner said of the new cap. "We're going to hope for the best and prepare for the worst."

LA Times on Cap

This is what it looked like to me. If it's meant to just slow it down after they cut it that made it flow even stronger, I don't think it's doing that particular job.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
According to Fox News, the method is supposed to contain 80% of the flow while 20% escapes.

The containment cap is intended to capture about 80 percent of the oil and gas. The rest is expected to escape.

Fox News on the Cap

On the plus side, the cap is still sitting on the spot it's supposed to be. Tough to tell if the majority of the oil is being sucked up or escaping. It seems to be more violent than before the cap, but that could be from the narrower spaces the oil is escaping from.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Just captured this. Doesn't look any better to me. Looks worse actually. But I'll pray it works for the sake of our Earth.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
It is gushing right now on the bp site.
bp live feed
the light shining on the object through the plume tripped me out at first, looked like flames

[edit on 3-6-2010 by TwistedAmnion]

[edit on 3-6-2010 by TwistedAmnion]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Skandi ROV1 has been blasting the chemical into the leak consistently for the past 4 hours (on top of what they have already poured). Seeing the combination of the two... man, it's like they want to poison the water as much as possible. Let's add some toxic man chemicals for that extra killing power..

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by astronomine
Skandi ROV1 has been blasting the chemical into the leak consistently for the past 4 hours (on top of what they have already poured). Seeing the combination of the two... man, it's like they want to poison the water as much as possible. Let's add some toxic man chemicals for that extra killing power..

It even says Dispersant Ops. SMH.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 02:47 AM
link   
To me it looks like it failed. They say wait 12-24 hours to see if it works? Why.. what will change?

new topics

top topics

join