It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should the government start a new CCC to clean up the oil and create jobs?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Franklin Delano Roosevelt started the original Civilian Conservation Corps for all unemployed men ages 18 - 24. It gave jobs to 3 million young men all across America and let them experience the grand outdoors of our beautiful country. It gave this country a renewal and taught a young generation about environmentalism, perservation, hard work and determination.

Civilian Conservation Corps

The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was a public work relief program for unemployed men age 18-24, providing unskilled manual labor related to the conservation and development of natural resources in rural areas of the United States from 1933 to 1942. As part of the New Deal legislation proposed by President Franklin D. Roosevelt (FDR), the CCC was designed to provide relief for unemployed youth who had a very hard time finding jobs during the Great Depression while implementing a general natural resource conservation program on public lands in every U.S. state, including the territories of Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

The CCC became the most popular New Deal program among the general public, providing jobs for a total of 3 million young men from families on relief. Implicitly the CCC also led to awareness and appreciation of the outdoors and the nation's natural resources, especially for city youth. The CCC was never considered a permanent program and depended on emergency and temporary legislation for its existence. On June 30, 1942 Congress voted to eliminate funding for the CCC, formally ceasing active operation of the program.

During the time of the CCC, volunteers planted nearly 3 billion trees to help reforest America, constructed more than 800 parks nationwide that would become the start of most state parks, developed forest fire fighting methods and a network of thousands of miles of public roadways, and constructed buildings connecting the nation's public lands.

We need to do something about this Gulf of Mexico oil spill and we just don't have enough men and women to clean up the shores and fight off the oil.

If we had a federal innitative, that concentrates on restoring the pristine beaches of the southern gulf coast, it would show that Obama and his administration is at least somewhat competent and would restore faith in the people of America when we need it most.

The chances of Obama and Congress doing anything like this? 1% at best. I don't think they have the guts to do what needs to be done. But I'm hoping I am wrong.

Hurricane season is fast approaching, and all we will need is storms to start battering our gulf coast and we will be forced to have a national mobilization to assist the coast. What is a better idea than to already have millions of people there waiting for if they are needed to assist immediately?

incaseofemergencyblog.com... -americans-of-all-ages-to-help-in-gulf-oil-spill-recovery-this-summer/

In his end of the show commentary on MSNBC’s “Hardball” tonight, Chris Matthews asked President Obama to: “put out an offer to the people of America – not just to the youth, but to anyone who can participate. Create a modern Civilian Conservation Corps, and deploy it in all the states of the Gulf. Invite any American who wants to join to come down south this summer and to clean up the beaches and wetlands of the Gulf.”

I don’t know the feasibility of putting together such a program. But I think the general idea — and particularly the underlying spirit behind it — is terrific. The text of Matthews’ commentary is below:

I think what’s been misunderstood in this entire fiasco in the Gulf of Mexico is the spiritual factor. People in our country are heartsick over this. They sit and watch our natural birthright, this “gift outright” that Robert Frost called North America, being disfigured.

And there’s nothing that they can do. There’s nothing that their kids or parents or anyone that they know can do. It’s as if we’re all a bunch of by-standers, watching part of our country get destroyed.

I have a small recommendation that could fill a big part of our national heart. Put out an offer to the people of America – not just to the youth, but to anyone who can participate. Create a modern Civilian Conservation Corps, and deploy it in all the states of the Gulf. Invite any American who wants to join to come down south this summer and to clean up the beaches and wetlands of the Gulf.

I know that there will be those who warn you of the hazards in this, of the possibility of people getting hurt. Let people sign releases if it’s necessary – but give Americans the chance to do something.

Matthews said the idea was not his but came in a letter from Edward J. Shanahan, the headmaster of a New England prep school with at least one famous alumnus:

I got this idea from the headmaster of Choate Rosemary Hall [Edward J. Shanahan], the school in Connecticut that John F. Kennedy attended back in the 1930s:

“It is now June 3 and millions of high school boys and girls, college men and women, are finishing up their academic work,” he wrote me, “some of them with jobs, many of them no doubt without jobs. Is it not within the purview of any of our many federal agencies to mobilize a national ‘peace corps’ or national environmental protection corps for the next three months, for the purpose of capturing the oil that is already beginning to cause irreparable harm to our environment and to those who live in the Gulf area?”

Maybe you could give that nickname to the huge brigade of people whom I predict will join you to clean up the Gulf this summer. Maybe the best thing that you could do right now – while slapping BP with the bill for all of this – is to let the American people regain the spirit of young Jack Kennedy and reclaim this America the beautiful of ours.

There’s a wonderful story behind this. When he was a student at Choate, young Jack Kennedy organized a group of trouble-making classmates, whom he christened “The Muckers.” He gave each member a little shovel in order to show that he belonged.

[edit on 6/3/10 by Misoir]

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   
The only way such an idea could work today is if political leaders made sure that the bureaucracy who slows every down and is so rigid gets the sack if certain goals and deadlines are not met . You have to remember that FDR and congress created the Bureaucracy that exists today . For Pete Sake the regional cycle ways that were spouse to combat unemployment in New Zealand didn't or won't even start before the recession was over . The other major problem would be that illegal aliens would deny the locals a much needed job .

If all the obstacles can be overcome then I would say go for it by all means employ people to clean up the oil spill providing they have adequate safety gear and clearing out the rubble left over from Katrina .

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Absolutely not. Reason: It isnt the governments duty to create jobs. That is a function of the private market.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Well sadly, it's never gonna happen an7yway. BP is starting a new company to clean the spill and the Gov is letting them instead of letting them pay and have the Gov hire workers and direct the cleanup.

This is BP still being in control so they can control the outcome.

And for the CCC why 18 to 24?.. Why not 18 to 55?

It's because just like the Military they want people young enough they can control and brain wash.

After you're 35 or so, you have lived a little more and understand way more than you did at 20 and are not so easily swayed by Government propaganda.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Not as an official government program. Instead, I'd force BP to do the same job. They made the mess, they can clean it up.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Where is obama's Brown Shirt Corp to help clean up the oil mess in the

Gulf of Mexico? I would of thought they would of already been on the

scene helping in the regions recovery efforts. My hats to everyone

volunteering to help to save the wild life and helping to soak up the oil

in the Gulf plus the beautiful beaches. ^Y^

[edit on 5-6-2010 by amari]

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
No, the government should not create this entity at all.

Since once created, will forever be in existence and we will have yet another government agency with tons of employees sitting around getting paid to do nothing once this is cleaned up and will simply wait for the next disaster. I realize that this will take decades to fully clean up, but a lack of thinking ahead and merely placing band-aides over things has greatly contributed to our current financial demise.

Further, we need to stop putting the government in a position where it can profit from disasters. At best, it creates a conflict of interest. The American people should never have to wonder, let alone find out, that the government 'creates' these disasters -- or any of them yet to come -- in order to turn red to black.

Why not a private company? Why not have an entirely new company created, established, and employed that the government hires to perform this clean-up? If it is a private company, we have a better chance of them continuing to work to clean-up other areas in our country, such as polluted waterways, in order to continue making money.

We would also have a less chance of future sabotage by a private company.

We need to get the government out of day-to-day business.

I realize that government contracts are often riddled with inflated expenses and favors to friends, and that this process needs to be more transparent and have more input from the American people, but I still think some separation is better than a direct people to government to government pay out.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by brainwrek
Absolutely not. Reason: It isnt the governments duty to create jobs. That is a function of the private market.

I agree with you to a certain degree I think that the private market place as you put it should always the primary source of jobs . A CCC style program should only be a last resort when no other options are left just like during the Great Depression or when it is clear that the private won't sector cater for a certain role . If enough states adopt laws similar to the crack down on illegal aliens that Arizona has made then unemployment would fall dramatically . All that would be required would to have coordinators who direct the jobless to places that Illegal aliens use to work at .

Still some kind of CCC program is needed to clean up the Oil slick because BP is more interested in making money off the chemicals that are being sprayed into the ocean rather then cleaning up the oil . Also if the private sector was going to clean up the after mouth of Katrina properly they would have done so already .

new topics

top topics

join