It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something Has Just Hit Jupiter:

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Korg Trinity
You're a little out of date my friend
We are able to directly view planets now as opposed to just noticing a star's wobble

Yes, now. However, according to the latest update, of the 455 extrasolar planets detected so far, 425 of them (>93%) were detected by measuring the wobble.

The nice thing about direct imaging is that it has a higher chance of detecting planets that are further away from their star's glare, so it will make a good complement to the radial velocity/astrometry methods. Of course direct imaging has a limited range, whereas radial velocity (doppler) measurment can be done at any distance, as long as we can see absorption lines in the target star's spectrum.

Thanks for the space.com link. Fascinating stuff!

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Whot if there was an industrial plant(alien in nature) which processed the whole brown belt for fuel and got blown out as the processing was followed or over? It doesn't look like something fell but rather like something blow up with light and flashes...

The lack of any plumes is rather disturbing though, but it's a hint that all the reservoir were emptied.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ddarkangle2bad

woohoo! let's all have a jupiter festival day yearly to celebrate its protecting life on earth

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   
I'm going to ask a really odd question. I've thought about it for a minute and it intrigues me.

Is it possible that Jupiter experiences some sort of cyclical ignition of it's atmosphere via a strong electrical discharge? Could the gas giant actually burn it's atmosphere, even for a relatively short time? What could the effects on Earth be?

And if so (here's where I really stretch it), could this phenomenon account for previous civilizations interpretation of a "second sun" or binary star? Could this be Wormwood hiding in plain sight?

Kinda crazy, but I wonder...

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by user414

The fact that she has taken two very large hits in recent times suggests that the atmosphere is comprised is such a way that ignition with a a total burn off is very unlikely. However that is not to say that with a change in the composition such as loosing one of its rings, maybe its possible.

I like the concept though that wormwood is actually something we can see which goes through some kind of change.

I'd like to add that living in the Western Caribbean i get incredible night skies and often get to see faint shooting stars. Last night I saw 2, only these were different. They moved very slowly; trying to think about how to describe the speed and all I can come up with is visually they moved like a bird gliding on a gentle breeze (Only say that as i am looking at some right now). They were also extremely bright, brighter than any other star I can see from Roatan. Now I am no astronomer but i am at the following 16°18'36.71"N 86°35'31.48"W and look due East. I think the brightest thing in the sky I am seeing is the Andromeda galaxy can any confirm that for me? or is it Sirius? Anyway I thought it VERY odd the way they moved and their brightness.

On a lighter note "If men are from Mars and women are from Venus and we are looking for some kind of cyclic change, then I'm gonna guess that Venus is about to get a serious bout of P.M.S and start throwing things at us, just like the wife does"

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
How is it that amateur astronomers can record a comet crashing into Jupiter, but they just can't seem to find that darn Nibiru?

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by user414

I like your thought. An intuitive thought? Maybe you're right.

mclinking

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001
How is it that amateur astronomers can record a comet crashing into Jupiter, but they just can't seem to find that darn Nibiru?

Read up in Enuma Elish a 5000 year old creation story which Genesis chapter 1 is based upon, where the Niburu is discribed. It's an interstellar spaceship shaped like a planet. Hence it's not really what is discribed in this kinds of fora, some kind of giant dead star which orbits the Sun every 3600 years. There is no record of such an object.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Neo Christian Mystic

Actually, Nibiru is a point in space. Scholars generally assume that Nibiru refers to Jupiter, but a close reading of Babylonian astronomical texts suggest it may be the point where the ecliptic crosses the celestial equator. But that's not the point: (And dramatically off-topic!)I was simply making a joke to the effect that in some threads everyone seems to think they can see Niburu but astronomers.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001

Do they have infrared telescopes? The only one I know is WISE and they already discovered something about a light year away. It is called Nemesis a brown dwarf.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by reject

woohoo! let's all have a jupiter festival day yearly to celebrate its protecting life on earth

Well it is Summer Time, and we all love a good party...

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Justaposter

All the millions of vl8uuhvms who died in the tragedy, and you want to throw a party? No wonder Earth is considered the cesspool of the outer eastern arm of the galaxy!

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Neo Christian Mystic

Greetings! I found a translation of the Enûma Eliš, do you know roughly where Nibiru is described?

Cheers

redblack

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by redblack

Tablet 5 I think. I have all these bookmarks on my laptop, and haven't transfered these bookmarks onto my tower yet, but try searching for Enuma Elish and Niburu and I'm sure you'll find the correct verses.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by user414

Jupiter will not begin star ignition like the end scene in 2010 Space Odyssey. Too little mass.

But, smaller events like this one could be a volatile gas ignition. nice thought.

Spaceweather.com now has an update from NASA on their thoughts on what happened...
NASA theories

[edit on 6/12/2010 by drphilxr]

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Just like when they were about to power on CERN, the underground supercolider, and some people discussed whether the super collision could collapse the surrounding earth in to a black hole, I don;t think there's any danger and here's why: for centuries, man has been up to alchemy, trying to turn lesser elements in to gold and silver, etc. Taoists went into the mountains, talked to the spirits and did elaborate rituals and the spirits would just hand them gold, from other worlds, and they'd walk out and say the alchemy worked, but of course right down to the late 20th century, when they said they could do a little table-top fusion - the collapsing atoms that cause new elements, like gold and silver, to form - but it turned out they were lying, the whole thing had to be retracted. Fusion can't happen on earth, fusion can't even happen on jupiter, but great imaginative idea!

No, in my understanding of the stellar phenomena around me, it's about the surrounding presure - they are calling it "dark matter", I call it "ytivarg", backwards for gravity. as it's a push not a pull, but anyway, that force pushes in, and the central star goes alight. The pressure is all on the star. With all the pressure being vortex shed at the central star, the pressure can't be there for the taoists on earth or the explosion on jupiter, not even there if you run a tokemak on jupiter.

I don't doubt mankind will try to bomb the hell out of jupiter before we fizzle out completely, I expect we'll nuke it hard in destructive frenzy, like america bombed a comet on the fourth of july, that kind of thing (and they were so surprised to see lemon merangue pie come out, not something solid or frozen, now they realized it's the tops of our 90,000 foot mountains from proto earth!) but I don't forsee any second suns in this envelope. I do believe you'd have to shut off the sun first, then boom, I just light a lighter on the corner and you get a fusion storm!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join