It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something Has Just Hit Jupiter:

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   

coincidence?

link   

Originally posted by Neo Christian Mystic
The Shoemaker-Levi impact was not too long ago, are we seeing an increased frequency of impact with highly energetic objects in the solar system, and especially planet Jupiter? Quite scary stuff if you ask me.

[edit on 4/6/2010 by Neo Christian Mystic]

Perhaps we are seeing an increased frequency of impacts because we now have more eyes looking at Jupiter -- i.e., it's not being impacted more frequently; it's only that we are seeing the impacts more frequently.

[edit on 6/4/2010 by Soylent Green Is People]

link   
I think it was the Science Channel had a show about the formation of planets in our system that was very interesting (aka explained a lot of stuff for me a not so in the know person)

I wonder if we knew about this flying around or did this just slam into Jupiter?

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I'm very thankful we have Jupiter nearby, to suck-up all these huge objects.

If something that size hit Earth, there'd be nothing left to indicate that people once lived here, except for some old satellites and a flag on the moon.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Jupiter, the vacuum cleaner of the solar system!

I think I read somewhere a while ago about a nuke (12megaton?) who was/is supposed to hit jupiter.
At the time it was just speculation about a black op I think, but it was the first thing I thought about when I read this. If it was a large object, they would have found it before this happened, right?

I think we often forget the scale of things in the cosmos. Such an explosion on Jupiter would barely even register is a pinpoint of light to us...when you consider Shoemaker Levy 9 was over 200 million megatons (at least I recall seeing that somewhere)...

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Is it also possible that this wasn't an impact, but something going off in Jupiter's atmosphere, like a giant lighting strike? It looks completely different than the Shoemaker-Levy 9 hitting Jupiter.

Here are couple more links.

This is the recent event, with a video I was able to watch, for some reason the original link wouldn't work for me.

www.thetechherald.com...

vimeo.com...

Here is Shoemaker-Levy 9 hitting Jupiter, with other videos of Jupiter strikes.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

At nrk.no, the official website of the Norwegian State Broadcasting, the explosion was explained as being the size of Europe, meaning basically that it was a potentional planetbuster which may have destroyed all life on Earth had it struck here. Quite disturbing, but like you, I love our solar system's "vacuume cleaner" as you so elegantly put it.

Source: www.nrk.no...

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Saint Exupery

The technique for finding extrasolar planets favors finding massive gas giants in close orbit around stars. The astronomers measure the gravitational influence of the planet on the star over time. The closer the planet is to the star, the greater the influence, so the easier it is to detect.

You're a little out of date my friend
We are able to directly view planets now as opposed to just noticing a star's wobble

And the problem of the formation of gas giants is far more complex than you might have thought.

Check here...

Death Spiral: Why Theorists Can't Make Solar Systems

For scientists who spend time thinking about how planets form, life would be simpler if gas giants like Jupiter and Saturn didn't exist.

According to the standard model of planet formation, called "core accretion," planets form over millions of years as enormous blocks of rock and ice smash together to form planetary embryos, called "protoplanets," and eventually full-fledged planets.

Most scientists agree that core accretion is how terrestrial planets such as Earth and Mars were created, but the model can't convincingly explain how gas giant planets like Jupiter and Saturn came to be.

One major problem is that developing gas giants through core accretion takes too long. According to the best current models, the process requires several million years-longer than the typical observed lifetime of the stellar gas disks from which planets are born.

The other main difficulty is the so-called "migration" problem. Protoplanets are not sitting stationary in the gas disks as they bulk up. Due to gravitational interactions with the disks, the protoplanets swirl rapidly inwards toward their central stars in what scientists call "Type 1" migration. Models predict that this death spiral can take as little as 100,000 years. This so-called "migration" problem is the toughest challenge facing theorists trying to explain gas giant formation through core accretion, said Alan Boss, a planet formation expert at the Carnegie Institution of Washington.

You can view the simulation here

This has been the case in all observable solar systems to date.

So what makes our solar system different??

All the best,

Korg.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I'm also quite curious about this event. To be honest, it does not look similar to impacts of the past. But to think that it was merely an environmental incidence (lightning, etc.), I would assume we would be able to see more of these.

In reference to the posts about the object striking Jupiter, we this the size of Europe when it hit the planet? or when it started entering the "burn up zone"?

I also agree with enjoying the vacuum planet, we should name a day after it!

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by GBP/JPY
also, the second brown belt went missing a month ago...the seb south equitorial belt which has always been visible even with binocs....this has everyone baffled. now you find this....

Wasn't the brown belt at about the same location as the Shoemaker Levy impacts?

At about the same longitude?

If so, then maybe the missing belt is just a long term after-effect of the impact for some reason.

[edit on 4-6-2010 by Mr Pliskin]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by One Moment

the impact was NOT the size of europe - but the visible effect WAS

as an analogy - try throwing a rock that you can fit in your fist into a dead calm lake or pond

the rock is < 150mm across - but it prioduces a ripple pattern some 50m across

a small object can have a big impact

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by whiteblack

Of course it's coincidence.. How could that possibly be related? If it can, please explain.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
A nuke of any size that we can produce here on Earth would be a drop in the ocean for a planet the size of Jupiter.

It likely wouldn't be able to cause changes of this magnitude - ie the stripe disappearing. Even a large nuke detonated here on Earth wouldn't really affect the weather to this extent.

Has anyone considered global warming on Jupiter as a theory for the large red stripe disappearing? It would show that the planetary temperature increases are not just limited to Earth and are caused by increased activity on the SUN (something I've long suspected), not by man made CO2 emissions.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
What if it wasn't an impact at all, but rather the result of Jupiter lighting up as a small second Sun where nuclear processes have now started to show on the surface og the giant gas giant? Just a thought....

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
There certainly are some strange things going down with Jupiter! I saw someone mentioned the south brown line that just up and dissipated and now this incredible impact. The picture is amazing, i certainly am going to be keeping up with this post to see if they ever figure out what the source of the impact was. S&F!!! Cool post!!

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by 535cataclysm

Gotta love living in a day and age where "amateur" astronomers can bring us clear images of something impacting the planet Jupiter. I'm sure the big gas giant will be fine, and as for the "missing" southern red band...think of it like Jupiter changing shirts.

On another note, and the reason I am responding to your post cataclysm, your avatar just made me laugh for about 5 minutes straight, bravo.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Update!! June 4, 2010 - New Dark Spot on Jupiter - Asteroid Hit?

“The Jupiter impact produced a pattern of debris some
5,000 kilometers long and 2,800 kilometers wide - half the size
of the Earth. And even if the response of the Earth atmosphere is
different from that of Jupiter [ if something that large hit Earth],
entire continents could be destroyed.”
- Augustin Sanchez-Lavega, Ph.D., Univ. of Basque Country, Spain. Read more at
www.earthfiles.com...

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
There are a lot (19) NEOs for this month. It's most likely that this impact on Jupiter is an asteroid, possibly a stray from the Taurids around at this time of the year.

mclinking

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ddarkangle2bad

This was not an impact event.

It was an electrical discharge.

Mega-lightning as predicted by plasma cosmology.

[edit on 4-6-2010 by mnemeth1]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

I believe you may be on to something here. Electromagnetic discharge due to some kind of stuff happening inside this massive gas giant, which may grow extensively if a nuclear chainreaction should light the 90% hydrogen into a helium and energy producing fusion reaction turning the planet into a giant fireball in the sky????

Check out the lyrics of this song by Björk of Iceland.

"The atmosphere gets lighter, and two suns ready to shine just for you"

Edited the YouTube URL to show the video.

[edit on 4/6/2010 by Neo Christian Mystic]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join