It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American flag burned...in England

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I also am a UK Liverpool FC supporter and am upset as any that the Debt model experiment has not worked, or has been caught wrongfooted by economic trends.

Flag burning is to many very offensive and I'd apologise to Americans - especially at a time when we should be showing solidarity, offering aid and facilities over the BP oil spill disaster. (Why is our present and last government so silent on that issue - apart from the share price?).

I'm guessing that the burner of the US flag is just displaying unthinking xenophobia. Owners of Liverpool could just as easily be an Arab sheik, a Swiss hedge fund manager or any oligarch.

But I bet that flag burning guy would be greatly upset if he saw the Union Jack or the English flag being burned. (Unless he is Irish as many scousers are).

He won't know that Americans are brought up to pledge allegiance etc.

Me I tend to instinctively cringe when I see the Union Jack or Cross of St George. Those flags were very successfully hijacked by the National Front, the British National Party, and now the English Defence League. They are symbols of neo-fascism. A pub flying a flag in East London once meant only come in if you have very short hair and are dressed in your best Ben Sherman shirt and pressed Levis held up by narrow braces (suspenders). And of course you are white.

It's maybe getting better - the flag has been somewhat been reclaimed.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Wait a second.
I thought once Obama got elected our enemies were going to love us.
Instead, it obvious our own allies now hate us too.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I'd just like to echo most of the replies here. This was the act of one mindless idiot and he does not speak for the country. I personally am more or less pro USA so I don't like to see people in my own country act this way.

However, a lot of Americans have been guilty of doing things that some say would be a lot worse than burning a flag. Take the whole South Park/Mohammed incident. How many people were offended by that?...

There are plenty of other things too. And I know that these things don't represent every US citizens feelings, it's just a select few. Kind of like this case.

So to cut it short; Don't be offended by the actions of the ignorant, America. You're bigger and better than that.

On a side note, this whole soccer hooliganism thing is getting a bit out of hand. Yes, there are people who go to see their favourite teams play, and yes, there are idiots who fight either during the game or after, but if you compare it to the 40,000 - 80,000 (people per stadium in the English Premier League every week) who just go to watch football match, the figure is quite minuscule. It's certainly not as bad as it was in the 1970's/1980's. Personally, I've only ever seen one major fight involving hundreds of people at a football match that I have attended. Everything else has just been the odd drunken idiot getting thrown out of the stadium.

Also, I got in to a nice conversation with an American guy in a Los Feliz Mexican restaurant last week. We were watching England Vs Mexico on the tv and got talking about the world cup. We both wanted our teams to beat the hell out of each other, but agreed that we'd like to see both teams do well in the competition. There was no fighting or arguing, it was all very civilized.......

... unlike the fighting at the Dodgers vs Tigers game I went to. I won't be sitting in the cheap seats again.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Disclosure Agent

I wasn't comparing
I said that I found soccer boring but strangely I enjoy baseball. There is no more comparison other than my enjoyment with them. I don't much care for American football so that is probably why I don't much enjoy soccer.

Originally posted by Tykonos
reply to post by janon

We have baseball over here, but we call it Rounders, and is played by all the girls in school when the lads are playing football.
... I'm sure there are some differences between the two rules wise .

Yes there are substantial differences

[edit on 3-6-2010 by janon]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Well talking as a French guy I have to agree, Soccer is a pretty huge thing in Europe. I don't give a damn about it personally, but some persons live FOR soccer (sad). However I think this kind of thing would never occur in France, only because the flag is not that important in France. In England it's a great symbol, because of its history I guess.

But what i can testify is that tough soccer fans are usually (this is not always the case, and this is just my opinion) less educated, and probably those that burn the flag don't even realize the meaning of their action.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
i wish someone to tell flag manufactures to start making flags out of flame retardent materials

Why? If I paid for a flag, which I have done before as I have a Union Flag and a St. georges Cross, then it is mine to do with as I please.

flag burning especially ours is totally unacceptable.

Why? Firstly, why get so upset about it and secondly, why is burning the US flag worse than any others? You seem to place the US above everyone else on some fictitious scale of Flag Burning offensiveness.

people tout this is free speech but its not its hate speach.

I bet you don't even know the story behind this, do you? You saw the US flag being torched and now you're all up in arms.

In a nutshell, two US billionaires bought a successful English club with debt secured against the club (not their own money) so they essentially saddled Liverpool with a massive debt it has to service to buy it. Add this to the fact they have won jack since being taken over and you can see why the Scousers are pretty pissed at the American owners for shafting their club.

i wonder what the brits would think that if i urinated then torched the union jack if they would have a problem with it.

The Union Jack isn't our national flag, so crack on. Even if it was I wouldn't be offended, it's a bit of cloth. Grow up.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Football (not Soccer) is huge in England, most fans care more about their club team than they do about the national side. Its as important to many fans as religion, if not more. Fans are seeing "outsiders" comming in to their club, who have no connection with the local area and basically taking over and loading clubs with debt.

Fans are angry, burning a US flag is a symbolic gesture to the American owners. NOT against America and its citizens.

You yanks really know how to make a mountain out of a mole hill dont you.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarkStormCrow
I think it wont just be LFC but many of the other big spending clubs that will be soon looking at a reality check in the high salary department, and that is from the Premiere League down to the small clubs, not a whole lot of money at there and many clubs will be more frugal.

New UEFA rules should put an end to this rediculous spending and wage debacle in all european leagues. They have until 2013 to comply and can only spend what they earn.

Even clubs like Chelsea with big money backers won't be able to splash out unless it's on the Stadium or Youth departments, no more big cash injections by wealthy Billionaires to buy a single player.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muckster
OK... allow me to, as an Englishman, be the first to apologise...

We are totally football (soccer) crazy as a nation, myself included, but this is a disgusting thing to do and has been carried out by people with very low IQ and zero respect.

There is no excuse for this, but it is more of a reflection on this small group of thugs then it is on Britain as a whole.

In fact... these people are so dumb I’m surprised they got the right flag.

Seriously though... Sorry about this... it is very shameful and the kind of thing most English people do not want to see!

Personally... I’m just looking forward to the World cup and especially the first game (England Vs USA)

I'm sure it will be a great game and i would like to USA do well in this tournament... although hopefully not at the expense of England

May the best team win

Yeah these types of people are kinda the equivalent to the stereotypical trailerpark hill billys

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lurch
Especially so soon after Memorial Weekend?

I should add, because I don't think anyone has, that "soon after Memorial weekend" would not have been part of the intended insult.
It's very unlikely that they would have known it was Memorial weekend.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by markstealth

I think the only people who get offended by our Flag(s) are the left-wing, hippy douchebags who seem to think of it as a symbol of "evil" and "racism". But wierdly it only seems to apply to the English flag, not the Welsh, irish or Scottish ones.

I fly both flags with pride and not because I want to "kill all darkies". Quite happy to live and let live, but it works both ways. Am I not allowed to be proud pf my country and it's history without some sandal wearing tree-hugger accusing me of being a racist just because of a bit of cloth hanging outside my home?

Anyone would think I was flying the Swastika, ffs.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
Football (not Soccer) is huge in England, most fans care more about their club team than they do about the national side. Its as important to many fans as religion, if not more. Fans are seeing "outsiders" comming in to their club, who have no connection with the local area and basically taking over and loading clubs with debt.

Fans are angry, burning a US flag is a symbolic gesture to the American owners. NOT against America and its citizens.

You yanks really know how to make a mountain out of a mole hill dont you.

Spot on.

Perhapes this from the Telegraph will inform those who think the burning of the flag was against the USA as a whole.

www.telegraph.co.uk... fael-Benitezs-exit.html

If this was burning of books I could understand the outrage.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
It's a bit of coloured fabric. Get over yourselves.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 05:19 AM
link   
I am always laughing at those idiots that burn flags.

All I see is a piece of cloth going up in flames thinking a flag maker somewhere in my country is making a buck of of these idiots

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by no special characters
I am always laughing at those idiots that burn flags.

All I see is a piece of cloth going up in flames thinking a flag maker somewhere in my country is making a buck of of these idiots

you'll probably find most are mass produced in china

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Expect more of it too.
United fans have not even begun to get serious about the Glazers yet, unless they go things will get extremely heated.

Green and gold untill we are sold.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 05:41 AM
link   

flag burning especially ours is totally unacceptable.

Excuse me, but this attitude is why people view americans as arrogant.. what the hell..
Get over yourself.. my national flag is much more sacred than yours, how dare you insinuate your flag is somehow beyond reproach?

Mine is much older = automatic superiority.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
IT is called the UNION FLAG,,NOT the Union Jack unless in specific circumstances, this could be seen as disrespectful also......

It is the flag of a union of countries /kingdoms , so not a National flag as such,

Also the premier league stars get paid beans compared to American profesional sports stars, I cant see a wages or budget cap working any time soon , If he premier league makes that much in advertising , whys shouldnt the athletes get a cut?

What needs to be changed is british laws on taking over compaanies and saddling them with debt........

[edit on 4-6-2010 by gambon]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarkStormCrow
reply to post by gambon

What would be the UK battle standard if there is one, or do they just use thier Brigade and Regimental flags?

Just in reply. Each regiment has 2 colours (flags) the regimental flag, and the Kings / Queens Colours. which actually is the union flag with the regimental symbol and battle honours on it.

I suppose the British battle standard would be the royal flag, but most people just stick to the individual flags of each nation, england, sctoland, wales etc.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frakkerface
It's a bit of coloured fabric. Get over yourselves.

In that aspect, it's just a stupid kick ball game. Get over it.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join