It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American flag burned...in England

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

I used to be a big football fan, but like anything else, money has ruined the game of football. These days if a teams wins a trophy it's mainly because they have the most money. These days, that's all there is to football. I personally think it's time that a cap was put on the amount of money you're allowed to spend on players for each season. Most clubs just can't compete with teams like Chelsea, Man Utd, & Arsenal and if things continue, most teams will simply go bankrupt.
Let's face it, the amount of wages these footballers get is disgraceful. Football & footballers are in serious need of a reality check, especially considering we are in the midst of one of the worst recessions ever.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by kindred

They are actually doing something like that. From 2013, all teams within UEFA will have only the money they can generate themselves to spend, so now they can't rely on super-rich billionaires to front them hundreds of millions to buy the title.

Of course, the bigger clubs will have the most money in theory, but they are also heavily in debt due to the ongoing "arms race" within the top flight. This should help control it, at least a bit.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by justwokeup
...However, there is also a cultural difference in play...Its worth noting that Brits generally don't attach the same deep meaning to flags that americans do. For example we don't at any point in our upbringing pledge allegiance to the flag etc. (or anything else for that matter). We don't take defacement of symbols particularly seriously...
[edit on 10-6-2010 by justwokeup]

This is my take on the subject. I'm an American living in the UK and I can now see how much "brainwashing" I went through growing up in the US. Fortunately my children were educated in the UK where religious and political indoctrination are almost non-existent by comparison.

I'm hoping that this flag-burning doesn't herald the first drone strike on the UK especially as the highly patriotic and highly religious Americans are now using cluster munitions to assassinate a "militant" along with several neighbourhoods of bystanders. (And don't tell me "it's the government and not the people" because this is all being done in the name of people like me! - rant over)

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Guilty of not reading the whole thread...

I have to say..I dont blame the uk..at all!!!! and im an American borne irishwoman!

Look...it's been this way for years, and years...always will..until one side wins!!!

Not saying, fight it out..but hell..if thats what it means ..yano!

I have to say...i was borne here in the states..not meaning im HAPPY with it..
in fact...if i had my way..id be...GONE!!!!!!!!

My two cents....

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Where can I buy a European flag? I am going to burn it and put it on YouTube. Where's my lighter fluid and zippo?

Free speech and all that. They're welcome to burn our flag. I support their right to do that. I don't really care, either way. They're over there. I'm over here. If they want to start some # with us, I'll meet them at any bar they want.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Theorist
Where can I buy a European flag? I am going to burn it and put it on YouTube. Where's my lighter fluid and zippo?

Hahaha! Crack on chap. Even if the UK was as bonkers about a piece of coloured cloth as you guys are, we wouldn't give two hoots about you burning a European flag. In fact, we'd probably cheer you on.

It might come as a shock to you Yanks, but us Brits do not view ourselves as European.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 02:46 AM
link   
I have read most of the posts in this thread and what amazes me is that almost no one had any major issue with the burning of the American flag in England.

But, now, there are many threads on illegal immigration, and if I remember well, there was one where a flag was knocked off some boy's hand (or something of the sort) by a Mexican and you all went nuts!

What is the difference?

I myself, once went to a 4th of July bbq and the toilet paper was printed with the American flag on it. They just sold it like that, in the USA.

So what is the big difference?

Oh and by the way, it's called FOOTBALL (foot + ball...get it?) not soccer.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Theorist

Feel free, in fact I'll come and join you.
Those pesky Europeans!

..... If they want to start some # with us, I'll meet them at any bar they want.

Grow up.

[edit on 12/6/10 by Freeborn]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 05:38 AM
link   
just now having the time to sit and go through all the replies here... wow.. Americans really just...dont get it. first off, flag burning is symbolic.. its to get a message across to whoever they are aiming to get feedback from ..sadly, in this cae it was NOT a political statement.. it was footballs little boy men acting out as children often do.. granted i hate american companies or corporations taking over anything, so i am with them on that side of things, but people must remember most football psychotics are mentally about 10 years old in age.. i dont mind the game, i dont mind people enjoying it, but there is a serious problem when it becomes a religious movement! which its been getting worse as over the past 8 years -at the least 8 years- no one can convince me its a good thing, its sooo cult like when you see tiny kids dressed in full footie team attire.. its sick. with the flag burning, why care? walmart is full of more and more flags all made in china, it can replaced.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

Grow up.

[edit on 12/6/10 by Freeborn]

My wife tells me that at least once a day.

I still want to buy a 'British' flag and burn it, now. On general principle. I'm going to.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Why would anyone in England want to parallel these blokes in Iran. No way is this a majority view? Right?
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9f81b39e5104.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Of course it's not a majority view.
Read all the thread.

I can fully understand the scousers being annoyed with Gillett and Hicks but I don't like people burning The St George Cross or The Union Flag so I wouldn't burn the Stars and Stripes, and neither would the majority of Brits.
But, we have seen yanks burning and stamping on the Union Jack in protest against BP.

And anyway, the majority of Brits are too apathetic to get wound up enough to burn anything at present!

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by The Theorist

A sense of humour.

I like that.

I don't think you will.

But feel free to do what you like with a European flag.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lurch
Just been sent these photos of the American flag being set alight today at a protest in Liverpool, England.

I would have thought it would be the other way round considering what British Petroleum has done to the gulf of Mexico.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   
I am an American
But do enjoy the eu Soccer
or football
= The thing is ,i actually agree with the flag burners

We Americans are damn proud of our flag ,BUT to be angry over someone burning our flag over a soccer
= I couldnt care less

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I'm confused? Is it England? Is it Britian? Is it the UK. Any of you English, British, UKadian American flag burners, do chine in and explain. Now do you see why Obama hates the English? (I don't, I love the English..British...UK people). Obama probably hates all europeans? I think Obama is the greatest thing since the fork split english muffin. Except in America they now call them. , "Freedom Muffins"! Because in America we're all about bringin freedom. Nothing say's freedom like a hellfire missle from a CIA controled predator drone. How dare those tea sippers burn a MADE IN CHINA American flag! Tea! Huh! Why don't you drink a double Latte mochachino like the rest of us real men!

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

A good idea in reason and definitely a step in the right direction. However with Chelsea's recent success and the revenue & TV deals that comes with it, they'll still have an advantage over the smaller and less successful clubs.

Uefa president Michel Platini has now passed rules which would force clubs to operate within their means.

Clubs will only be able to spend what they themselves generate.

Big cash injections from wealthy benefactors like the owners of Chelsea and Manchester City would also be restricted under Uefa's Financial Fair Play plan.

The system is being phased in and bans would not be able to be imposed theoretically until the 2014-15 season at the earliest.

Clubs are required to restructure themselves over the next three seasons so they are financially solvent.

Uefa general secretary Gianni Infantino said: "The main rule is the break-even requirement which will be phased in over the next three years.

"It is not as easy to swallow for everyone but everyone understands it is necessary. They are there not to punish clubs, they are there to help clubs. We don't want to kill anyone, this is why we have a phased-in approach."

But money invested in stadiums and youth development will not be included in the number-crunching.

The rules will also forbid clubs owing money to their rivals, players and staff or the tax authorities at the end of the season.

Portsmouth were a glaring example of a club which owed millions in unpaid transfer fees, image rights, tax and VAT.

Earlier this year, Infantino estimated 50% of clubs in Europe were making losses and 20% were in financial peril.

Big transfer fees can still be paid but clubs will need to generate sufficient funds through ticket sales, TV money and commercial revenue.

"If clubs want to spend €50, 60 or 70 million, why not, provided they have the money coming from their revenues, this will continue in the future. The problem is when you don't have the money," Infantino added.

news.bbc.co.uk...
www.spurscommunity.co.uk...

Rankings for the 2008–09 season - Rank Club Revenue(€ million) Country

1 Real Madrid 401.4 Spain
2. Barcelona 365.9 Spain
3. Manchester United 327.0 England
4. Bayern Munich 289.5 Germany
5. Arsenal 263.0 England
6. Chelsea 242.3 England
7. Juventus 203.2 Italy
9. Internazionale 196.5 Italy
10. Milan 196.5 Italy
11. Hamburg 146.7 Germany
12. Roma 146.4 Italy
13. Lyon 139.6 France
14. Marseille 133.2 France
15. Tottenham Hotspur 132.7 England
16. Schalke 04 124.5 Germany
17. Bremen 114.7 Germany
18. Dortmund 103.5 Germany
19. Manchester City 101.2 England
20. Newcastle United 101.0 England

en.wikipedia.org...

The more things change, the more they stay the same. It's a funny old game

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
That's it I'm sending a special ops team to tightly wrap this kids nuts in the british flag and hold a lighter to his balls and ask him questions about his connection to the illuminatus, NWO, bilderbergs, trilateral commision, wikileaks, martha stewarts bagels. You would never seen a bird speak so much before, this is your chance.

I think this guy did a stupid thing, it is his country and he can do it as long as he doesnt burn his own flag. It is not my country and I dont care what he does in his country, but it does bother me we the US did not do anything to his country. THe flag represents the US people and the constitution and him burning it is offensive to Americans. This is why I'm thinking about hosting a mexican flag burning party and posting it on youtube.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lurch
Just been sent these photos of the American flag being set alight today at a protest in Liverpool, England.

The protest was against the American owners of the football/soccer club Liverpool FC, who are deeply unpopular with the fans after plunging the club millions of £'s into debt and sacking popular manager Rafa Benitez earlier today.

Now I know passions get pretty high when it comes to sport, especially with football in England, but anyone else think the burning of the American flag in such a protest is completely unacceptable? Especially so soon after Memorial Weekend? What do you think? Here are the photos:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d9f9af9de7de.jpeg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5613a2c737c8.jpg[/atsimg]

See the keyword appears in the last paragraph of your OP;

>>>quote>end quote

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnJasper

Thank you, thank you thank you for posting this! its really nice to know i am not the only American born person to live in the UK and see the US for what it is more so than ever possible while living in it.. people do not always believe how conditioned and brainwashed the people of America truly are compared to here in a lot of ways.. there is a difference within the people, not better or worse in personal ways, all are human (well as far as anyone knows lol) but the control in America is a great deal stronger and all consuming. Others argue that Britian is worse, but i have experienced both sides of the ocean in that way and its pretty clear to me.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join