It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Copyright Bill threatens Canadians' freedom-What can we do

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
www.theglobeandmail.com...

Legislation would make breaking digital locks illegal, even for personal use

It will hurt us more then the pirates

www.lfpress.com...
twitter.com...

If you don't like the government's proposed copyright bill, feel free to give Tony Clement hell on Twitter. He's asking for it.

Canada used to be the land of the free, send your family the message, that this is canada, and canada isn't a corporation and we wont stand for this bill!

[edit on 3-6-2010 by Agent_USA_Supporter]

[edit on 4-6-2010 by Agent_USA_Supporter]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
WHAT!!!

My friend plays Call of Duty, he has a crack that makes his name a different color. Are you telling me that is going to cost him 5,000 dollars?

I admit, i hate hackers on online games always cheating, but charging them 5000 dollars? That's a direction toward tyranny and the controlling of every aspect of your freedom.

To bad I am 17 and my voice is considered immature, even though its deeper than my dads

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Downloading copyrighted material that you have to pay for. Was always illegal. But if it is available for free, then it's not illegal, so that's why there is bit torrents, to make those movies free to watch, and no it's not stealing it's sharing.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

If I were you I'd modify the title to read something like :

"Copyright Bill threatens Canadians' freedom-What can we do?"

That title would open the door to the same discussion but do so within the site T&C. You might want to re-read the T&C.

Having said that, it does sound like this legislation goes too far. One of my favorite websites in the UK was just shut down over something like this and yet they never hosted a single illegal (copyrighted) file on their site, ever!

One example that comes to mind. Let's say you buy a DVD. And let's say you've got kids. There's a good chance your kids might not give that original DVD the world's finest care and end up destroying it with scratches, etc.

So what some people like to do is buy the DVD, then make a copy of the original and put the original locked away somewhere in a safe place so it doesn't get used. Then let the kids use the copy you made and if they destroy it, you can restore it on a fresh disc from the original.

Breaking the digital encryption on a movie DVD – even if copying it for personal use – would make individual Canadians liable for legal damages of up to $5,000

This law would make that illegal if the original disc has a digital lock which most of them do, right? That just doesn't seem right. Even most software licenses specifically say you can make a single copy for backup archival purposes. You should be able to do that with any digital media you buy.

[edit on 4-6-2010 by Arbitrageur]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Thanks for the recondition, i was in a hurry and agreed there's alot that is wrong with this bill, i wont surprised if they passed secretly without any votes and i have a very bad feeling about this bill.

new topics

top topics

join