It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SC police: Black man shot to death, body dragged

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   

NEWBERRY, S.C. (AP) — Two men who worked at a South Carolina poultry processing plant had spent most of the day together Tuesday, hanging out late into the evening, maybe rehashing their long shifts.
By the next morning, one of the men — who was black — was dead, shot to death and then dragged behind a pickup truck for more than 10 miles down a country road. The other — a white man — was in jail, charged with murder, and authorities were investigating the death as a possible hate crime.

SC police: Black man shot to death, body dragged

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkStormCrow

I don't know, the whole situation seems really odd. Even if they worked together, I don't see how a 30 year old was hanging out with a 19 year old on their time off.

Could it have been a hate crime? Possibly, but I'm reserving judgment until they determine how much alcohol or drug use was involved.

Quite a sad and disgusting story.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
A very curious story. It would be intersting to see how this plays out.

Regardless of the dead man's skin tone, his murder is senseless. I for one hope that whoever is responsible for this is brought to justice.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Possible hate crime?

I hate phrases like this...

How can murder be anything other than a crime of hate?

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Something sounds odd to the case. Its murder regardless of how they try to rename it.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
They worked together from what I've seen on local news. I think they are deeming this a "hate" crime based on the fact that the victim was dragged behind a vehicle. Honestly, it was murder and there shouldn't be room in the penalty to add punishment for it being deemed a "hate" crime. Execution should be the punishment regardless.

Now they're making a big deal about how many guns the killer owned.. "...over 20 assault type rifles." Oh boy here we ******* go again...

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Is dragging a body or that of a black person a specific partof hate crime rituals in SC? I honestly do not know. Whether or not it is a hate crime or not needs to be investigated and not assumed.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Is dragging a body or that of a black person a specific partof hate crime rituals in SC? I honestly do not know. Whether or not it is a hate crime or not needs to be investigated and not assumed

no its simple ignorance, integration is common in the south,,two people shooting the # after work a little MD 20/20 and a stupid remark leads to a more stupid response. Dragging the body is an act of ignorance for it proves nothing other than the perpetrators lack of sensability and consideration. Ignorance is something you just cannot genetically cull out either you are or you arent,,,

[edit on 5-6-2010 by jbmitch]

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by DarkStormCrow

I object to this reporting on a few levels.

Firstly, why was it necessary to mention a person's ethnic origins?

Secondly, if they worked together they could well have been friends, regardless of the age difference.

Thirdly, how come they seem so certain it was the workmate who did this?

This whole thing stinks.

And I am sorry for the man who was murdered.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   
I agree with the fact that dubbing something a hate crime can seem redundant and even arbitrary in most cases but what would it change here if they simply said it was a "crime"?

I don't know for certain but if it is a matter of receiving more or less jail time I can see why his lawyers would want to change the classification.

Either way...this man it seems up for the murder of his acquaintance.
Even if it was in the second degree.

He allegedly had the blood trail lead straight to his house.

Not looking good for him.

- Lee

[edit on 5-6-2010 by lee anoma]

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 02:40 AM
link   
I don't agree with the term "hate crime" because of the racist images it depicts, and I hate to say this, but I'm not sure it would have been deemed a hate crime if the rolls been reversed.

The reason they are adding the charge of "hate crime" to this though is the fact that a few years back, a young homosexual man passed away from his injuries sustained during a bar room brawl. The family felt 2nd degree murder wasn't a strong enough charge, so they petitioned for stronger charges to anyone convicted of a crime based on prejudice. As far as I am aware, this is the FIRST time the new "teeth" of this charge will be tested.

Personally I think the charge of "hate crime" is outdated and unfair because I don't believe it would ever be applied unilaterally. Not to mention sexual preference may not even be known, and all of a sudden a simple fight, where both people are charged regardless of who starts it, turns into a major offense for one person who may not have even started the confrontation.

top topics

join