It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it time for a multinational force in Gaza and the West Bank?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
The Middle East has been a problem for most of my lifetime. I am starting this thread in order to search for solutions.

The Gaza situation is a humanitarian crisis and the status quo is no longer acceptable.

I am a firm believer in the right of the Nation of Israel to exist but I am also a firm believer in a Free Palestinian State.

The problem is how to arrive at a solution that is agreeable to both sides.

I would propose that a fully armed peacekeeping force be deployed to the Gaza Strip and place itself on the border between Gaza and Israel.

This would not be your normal peacekeeping force they would be authorized to defend and prevent any incursion by Israel into the Gaza strip.

I would also propose that when this force deploys that the Israeli military be withdrawn 1 km from the border.

I would then ask that a multinational force be deployed within Gaza proper for security and humanitarian relief.

This force would be charged with distrubition of humanitarian relief and preventing the launching of rockets into Israel.

Also this force would be authorized to arrest and detain those who try and attack Israel with rockets.

The UN would then sned in volonteer organizations with doctors for medical relief and construction crews for rebuilding of schools, hospitals and other vital infrastructures such as water and sewage sytems, electricity and the like.

This would have to be a long term effort and the world would have to be dedicated to an actual settlement of differences.

Until the Palestinians agree to Israels right to exist and Israel agrees to a independant Palestinian state there can be no peace and it has to be true commitment it cant be lip service with hostilities beginning again as soon as the multinational forces have gone.

The Palestinians will need a true military force that can defend itself from incursion when all is said and done which means real military training and a naval patrol force for its shoreline.

Just a proposal I am open to any and all ideas I dont want to see this situation drag on for the rest of my lifetime

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkStormCrow

That is a good idea .

The only trouble being I can NOT see Israel relinquishing its right of self defense to a third party .

Nor can I see Hamas relinquishing its rights as the governing body of Gaza .

If these obstacles could be over come it might make a good answer to the problem .

This would have to be a multi national force which would have to be integrated together or we could experience another barracks bombing like in Lebanon in 83 where The US put its self between the Israelis and the Lebanese.

edited to add

This would have to be a strong UN Resolution and a partnership of the UN and Nato and the many of the worlds armed forces . A multi national and cultural peace keeping force it could work if all the right things happen .

[edit on 3-6-2010 by Lostinthedarkness]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Lostinthedarkness

It just seems to me that everything is accusations and recriminations, and no one is looking for real solutions or do they even want a solution on either side?

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkStormCrow

As long as their hate for each other is greater than their love for their families they wont be able to solve it on their own .

Hamas wants Israel destroyed and Israel wants the Palestinians destroyed.

I think it needs intervention . And soon before it causes a world war .

new topics

top topics

join