It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colombia's Displaced Population Now Next to Darfur

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Article

US corporations are under fire for aiding the creation of world's second largest displaced population. Activists claim millions of Colombians have been driven from their homes.

In light of the issue, hundreds of protestors have gathered at Washington DC’s Capitol Hill. People brought pictures of those who have suffered as a result of the activities of major US companies in Colombia's indigenous territories, which are rich in natural resources. Millions have not only been displaced, but also are either missing, tortured or have been killed.

Afro-Colombian Marino Cardovo fled from his home to the United States after paramilitary groups came in and violently removed residents in his village. “Military and paramilitary came to my town. They bombed out my town, they persecuted Africans living in the area,” Marino told RT.

Organizers say US involvement in training, equipping and funding Colombia's military is escalating the crisis. They want an immediate end.

All I can say is......where has this been in the media???? This is a pretty darn serious issue! I havent heard about this anywhere other than RT.

So Colombia is 2nd, behind Darfur, in displaced populations now. And, from the article, it is the US that is to blame. Tourture, displaced, murdered, and missing people, in the MILLIONS!!!

Colombia's military, and paramilitary groups are bombing towns forcing people out. From the article, it seems that Afro-Colombians are the ones targeted. The US trainging and arming the militaries down there are elscalating the crisis, the article says.

I have to ask, have any of yall heard of this?? Seen it on the news lately??? Heck, Darfur hasnt even been on the news at all lately. The article didnt say this has anything to do with the cartels down there, just corporations/militaries seizing of Afro-Colombian and indigenous territories, along with all the terrible stuff that goes along with that.

Once again, where is this in the news!!!!

edit- changed title after finding 2nd article

[edit on 3-6-2010 by buni11687]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I did a little searching on the net and found another article, dated May, 5, 2010. It's more in-depth than the RT article.

Article

Colombia’s current humanitarian pandemic is so dire that many analysts and organizations have noted that the country has surpassed Sudan as having the most staggering internal displacement crisis in the world.

In 2007 alone, conflict between Colombian government forces and armed groups resulted in the displacement of more than 300,000 people, only adding to the millions that have been displaced in the country since the 1980s. According to the Consultancy for Human Rights and Displacement (CODHES), a Colombian nongovernmental organization, about 380,000 nationals were forced to leave their homes in 2008 due to armed conflict, and it estimates that the total figure for displaced Colombians amounts to as many as 4.6 million since the early 1980s.

This article says Colombia's crisis may of even passed the Sudan (Darfur) displacement crisis.

I never knew that the situation was that bad down there. Im guessing the average joe dosent know about all of this. The only stuff Ive seen in the news were short segment about the US helping the Colombian military years ago. I dont even think Ive seen anything on the news about the humanitarian crisis. Im going to look around to see how much I can find about the entire situation.

new topics

join