It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Evidence That Chili Pepper Ingredient Fights Fat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Scientists are reporting new evidence that capsaicin, the stuff that gives chili peppers their kick, may cause weight loss and fight fat buildup by triggering certain beneficial protein changes in the body. Their study, which could lead to new treatments for obesity, appears in ACS' monthly Journal of Proteome Research.

Jong Won Yun and colleagues point out that obesity is a major public health threat worldwide, linked to diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, and other health problems. Laboratory studies have hinted that capsaicin may help fight obesity by decreasing calorie intake, shrinking fat tissue, and lowering fat levels in the blood. Nobody, however, knows exactly how capsaicin might trigger such beneficial effects.

Continued at link.

I thought this was pretty amazing myself since I am a health freak and love little snippets of what this does, can do for you and what other foods and ingredients can and can't do. What better way to stay healthy than naturally.

Count me in for eating more chili pepper for sure.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I think i might try this out, great news in time for me now i've just started training again, what can you have with chilli's in which is low in fat ?

who else is going to try this out..

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by thecrow001

Most spicy foods such as jalapenos and hot sauce are said to speed up your metabolism and help you burn fat according to what I remember reading.

So don't hesitate to add the hot stuff to whatever you eat. I think we all know how a bunch of hot or spicy food digests and is released right?

At least for me it flies through my system which is a potentially good sign, I think....

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Crossfate

yeah i'll get some spicy food down me, however what could i add to a luch box at work ?

I dont want to just eat raw chilli's

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
You can buy hot pepper capsules in the supplement section at Wal-Mart. I've known this for years. Also capsaicin is used in a topical creme for sore muscles and joints.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   

You could do white rice with tofu.
Flavour it how you want with what you might usually use...then add the hot stuff.
Tofu is the water of food...you can make it taste how you want it to.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

whats tofu, I'm 19 all i dont make meals too often

I might do spicy chilli chicken salads are something like that.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I guess I'm safe. My favorite food is spicy food. The hotter the better IMO!

Thanks for the good news. Really makes me feel better and could explain why I eat like a horse but never gain a lb.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   

A bit on tofu
vegetarian.about.com...
Spicy chicken salad sounds good!!
I was thinking a soup would be good as well.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   

I just thought of something horrible. Because of the gulf spill I will be deprived of delicious spicy seafood jambalaya.

That is a tragedy...

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Crossfate

This would explain why I have lost weight upon my return home. My mom always makes spicey foods but then again I have also started working out. I guess a balance of good food and workouts truly adds to healtheir lifestyle. $&F

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   

yeah it all sounds good.
Tofu looks great i'll look in to using it.

First i need to learn how to cook.

thanks for the link

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   

I make a low fat chili recipe

3lbs turkey ground meat
3 cans low fat/sodium broth
4 cans white or black kidney beans
1 lg can of diced tomato
1/2 cup ground chili powder
1teaspoon cumin
4 jalepenos
4 habeneros
1 bell pepper
2 onions
8 garlic cloves.

Cook the turkey in large pot for 8 minutes

throw in cumin and chili powder mix for 2 minutes

chop up chili's, onions, garlic, mix in to the pot for another 5 minutes.

add everything else and simmer for 90 minutes.

spicy and low fat chili

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

sounds good, i like turkey alot.

I'll cook it and if i survive my own cooking i'll tell you how it tastes

I do like fish but i dont think you can have spicy fish can you ?

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   

With those ingredients you get a mild-semi hot chili, add more hobeneros and other chili as you desire to increase the hotness, I have a large pot down stairs right now, that pot usually last me like a week.

Sushi has a lot of spicy fish stuff, ie: spicy tuna rolls

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
No need to actually eat spicy foods, although I love spicy. I take a few Cayenne Fruit capsules a day, it burns fat and also helps lower cholesterol. Once on a doctor visit, my doc told me he wanted to put me on cholesterol medication like Lipitor or something, to which I said no. I had a level of 160 or so and he wanted it lower. So a few months pass and I go see him again. This time my level had dropped to a 97. He asked me if I'd been exercising. No, I said, I've been using Cayenne Pepper. That'll do it, he said.

Cayenne also helps to dilate blood vessels, and combined with aspirin can really help blood flow. It's also useful for certain kinds of heart attacks.

[edit on 3-6-2010 by The Patriot]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

hmmm thanks. I forgot about sushi.

Thanks for the food tips

ATS cooking show hmmmmmmmm lol

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Oh, so that's why I eat like a truck driver and never pick up weight....

Seriously though, I love hot food & eat chillies in almost everything.

For a nice stoner munchie~ Try some toasted garlic chiabata with butter, whole jalapeno chillies, mozzarella shavings & Lea Perrins pepper sauce (almost like Tobasco- also made from Tobasco peppers).

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by The Patriot

Never underestimate natural remedies, I had a similar experience with blood pressure Doctor wanted me to take pill But my great aunt is old school hispanic and she made me this foul drink consisting of lemon, honey, garlic and onion, made me drink it for a month and what do you know my BP normalized.

although I reeked of garlic, I had it coming out of my pores.

top topics

join