It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery Space Object Hits Jupiter

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Mystery Space Object Hits Jupiter

gizmodo.com

On the third week of July 1994, comet Shoemaker-Levy crashed into Jupiter's fiery atmosphere. NASA says that another "mystery space object" hit during the same week but 15 years later, leaving a bruise as big as the Pacific Ocean.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
the size of the pacific ocean...

its a prety good thing earth dint get hit... cause it was a pretty big rock

Judging by the series of images taken by Hubble's newly-installed Wide Field Camera 3, the current theory is that the object was a 1,600-foot wide asteroid. Analysis of the angle and size of the bruise reveals that the mystery object possibly came from the Hilda belt, a group of 1,100 asteroids orbiting near Jupiter

gizmodo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Interesting article. I'm wondering if there's any connection between the impact and Jupiter losing one of its stripes. Curiouser and curiouser.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Maybe it was the "alleged" lost Airforce X-37B doing mach 20 into the side of it...

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR

probably not it was 1600 foot wide...lol

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Man that poor planet, Jupiter just seems to get hit left and right. The only thing that gets me is how they say mystery obeject, it may just be me but wouldn't the main suspect be an asteroid [as stated] or perhaps a comet?

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gigantea Rosa
Man that poor planet, Jupiter just seems to get hit left and right.

Well that's a good thing! - Jupiter kinda hoovers up a lot of these objects before they make it into the inner solar system, that's good news for us because it reduces the chances we will get hit bad - but we will get hit one day, and it will hurt.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hazystars
Interesting article. I'm wondering if there's any connection between the impact and Jupiter losing one of its stripes. Curiouser and curiouser.

I think the whole stripe thing is naturally occuring and happens every now and then, scientists just can't figure out why.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

Yep good for us
, but what about Saturn as well it's pretty big as well [not as big as Jupiter I know] but still should have a high gravitational field to suck in some of these objects.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Man that poor planet, Jupiter just seems to get hit left and right. The only thing that gets me is how they say mystery obeject, it may just be me but wouldn't the main suspect be an asteroid [as stated] or perhaps a comet?

Which makes me think if not a asteriod or comet what then? ANd why cant the object of been 900 ft wide 2x denser?
2nd

[edit on 6/3/10 by Ophiuchus 13]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Gigantea Rosa

Maybe if they don't know which - Asteroid or Meteorite, they say "Mystery". Maybe there's a case of lazy astronomer's, more likely lazy or sensationalist journalism.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Yeah, those 2 gas giants help keep us safe from God-knows how many planet-killer sized objects...asteroids sucked up, comets at least change trajectory maybe...even one that may not kill the earth, but definitely wipe out life as we know it - at least civilization or the most recent technology due to a loss of knowledge base.

I think that the presence of a gas giant or two in a solar system is an absolute prerequisite for advanced civilizations to thrive...prevents a 're-start" due to loss of knowledge/ technology base due to a planet wide-event.

When an intelligent civilization is discovered, I all but guarantee a jupiter or two in orbit around the same star... or a black hole somewhere just out of minimum safe distance..

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Actually thats what jupiter is "for". It deflects asteroids and the like, that are on collision course with the inner planets. It acts as kind of a guardian. Glad we have such a planet in the solar system

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Heh so as not to confuse anyone anymore I know Jupiter is used as a vacuum to clean up the space as well as Saturn was just playing a little fun at the title especially since the rest of the page talks about Shoemaker levy hitting Jupiter. That much I know, so just to keep it from reappearing

The thing I am confused about though is why it was titled as Mystery when their are at least two plausible items.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hazystars

You don't suppose it could be potentially the "Planet X" that hit Jupiter because they say a lot about the size of the "Planet X" according somewhere it stated that its about 5 times larger that planet Jupiter and is on due course with Earth.

However its not going to hit Earth it will pass us yet imagine a Jupiter ring 5 times the normal size of its ring but hurdly towards Earth and instead of rocks its a lit up firey tail.

That's what they say, be interesting to witness it as I like seeing stuff like that I enjoy storm chasing very much.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Yup, cold steel siad it right* im more than yuor average amateur astronomer. Jupiter is well known, as being the solar systems vaccum cleaner* its gravity is so imminese, it draws in asteroids, comets till theym explode in its atmosphere under shattering crushing pressure.
I wouldnt worry about poor jupiter* thiers no solid surface. ITs literlaly, ALL atmosphere

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Fascinating - I had no idea Jupiter was considered the Hoover of our Universe!
I can't imagine the destruction that object would've caused had it hit Earth.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Didn't they shoot nukes at jupiter back in the 80's. . .

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
What is with the big giant asteroids err comets as of late? It is kind of funny though that comet hits jupiter since planet X orbits between Jupiter and Mars.

Interesting though.......

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   

No such thing as "mystery object". They know perfectly well what it was way before it hit.

NSA & The 18th Space Surveillance Squadron

The 18th Space Surveillance Squadron (note: the Air Force removed this page) unclassified mission states that it tracks all space objects from 3,000 to 22,000 miles. However, the classified mission states: "The 18th Surveillance Squadron and it's detachments track all space objects, known and unknown (UFOs), from 300 miles to deep space. The 18th monitors the NSA series of remote tracking satellites (STAR-BAND) placed in orbit between Mars and Jupiter and between Saturn and Neptune and beyond. All information received from these remote tracking locations are forwarded to NSA." For NSA's STAR-BAND (Deep Space) satellites/sentinels/or probes please see below. We were also informed that the "aliens" have a base on Neptune's moon Triton.

Over the past years there have been a number of intelligence reports to suggest that NSA may have any number of what are termed "Deep Space Probes" some reaching beyond the orbit of Neptune. The real purpose of these space probes has not been determined especially the fact that NSA/OCS is the reported office responsible for tracking these probes: Why then is NSA in deep space when the "threat" as we know it is centered here in the near Earth environment? And, deep space exploration is suppose to be within the jurisdiction of NASA?

The 18th SPSS is tasked with:

* Detecting and tracking deepspace objects, and identifies near and deepspace objects;

* Operating a network of optical sensors in four worldwide locations; and

* Passing data collected to the Space Control Center at Cheyenne Mountain Air Station, CO, and the Combined Intelligence Center at Peterson AFB.

www.globalsecurity.org...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join