It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama uses gulf spill to push clean-energy policy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Obama uses gulf spill to push clean-energy policy

www.smh.com.au

WASHINGTON: The US President, Barack Obama, has tapped into public outrage over the Gulf of Mexico oil spill to push the case for imposing ''a price on carbon pollution'' in a bid to hasten the American economy's transition to clean energy.

Mr Obama pledged to fight for votes in Congress to secure the passage of a ''comprehensive energy and climate bill'', although its exact shape remains subject to wrangling between Democrats and Republicans...

The House of Representatives passed a clean energy bill late last year that includes a ''cap and trade'' plan to reduce harmful emi
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.cnn.com
news.yahoo.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Halliburton bought premiere oil-well firefighting co. for 240 mil on April 12th
Goldman Sachs sold $250 million of BP stock before spill

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Was it Rahm Emanuel who said to never let a good crisis go to waste? I have seen various signs imo that point to this BP oil spill was orchestrated. Haliburton buying oil firefighting company Boots & Coots shortly before the rig blew not to mention they did work on the rig just 20hrs before the "accident." Yesterday I learned that Goldman Sachs sold a ton of share of BP 2 days before the accident, Reminiscent of the 9/11 put options.

The only thing I had trouble with was motive. I thought first that BP is a big importer of oil, the biggest, some would argue and that a moratorium on domestic drilling would actually help them in the long run. As interesting as that was, today's news that Obama plans to use the incident to push his climate bill was much more interesting.

The man made Climate change fraud has all but been exposed so that would be ineffective to pass climate legislation and the coveted "carbon Tax" but a CRISIS would be very effective to jump start such an initiative.

All we can do is wait and see what will come next.

www.smh.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Here comes King Obama's Cap & Trade.

C'mon guys, from what I have read most of you are pretty smart and well informed. Should have seen this coming from the day the oil rig blew. Soon comes the day when we struggle to keep the power on because costs rise above what we can afford. Just add that on top of unemployment and rising costs of everything else. We are doomed.

-Nate

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Sounds like 'problem, reaction, solution' to me. Always follow the money!

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Sounds like another one of Obama's talking plans...

He is just talking..

Oh he wants to change the way energy is created, great bring out the perpetual energy devices.

There is a long@$$ list of devices that can be installed into cars that are more energy efficient then gas and oil.

Will we see them, no.

Will the oil be cleaned, no.

The clock is ticking, these are the final months before the ocean is gone for good. PREPARE NOW BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE!

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Cmon, Obama has been pushing clean energy from the get go! He just recently changed his opinion on drilling in the gulf!

You want a conspiracy?

Think about this, during the campaign, Obama was not for drill baby drill, now that he changed his stance, there is a huge gulf oil spill!

Coincidence? Or big oil trying to create a Katrina for Obama to mire in?

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Conspiracy or not, you have to admit something is going on. I was reading in another thread and someone brought up the point of a Gulf Hurricane. There is your Obama Katrina except 100 times worse. The oil in the Gulf would be collected and thrown inland who knows how far. Also if you really want to get deep into the rabbit hole if HAARP got involved and "created" another Katrina like hurricane that could sit inland for several days....we would be screwed. This whole thing has just been bad news since day one. I was watching it on TV with my family and i said "Dont worry, tomorrow somebody will blow something up and you will never hear of the oil spill again." Then a day or so after we have a failed bombing attempt in NYC. Something smells fishy and i know its not me because i showered today. .
looks at picture of Obama and squints eyes):.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Climate initiatives have been severely hampered even stalled all over the world since the Climategate emails. No one believes in man made climate change anymore. BP may be big oil but they are one of the biggest contributors to climate groups. Big oil has nothing to fear from climate change bills because they know that there will be no alternative fuels. The intention is cap and trade and carbon taxes that is all. Alternative fuels is the line they feed the masses to make them think they are trying to help the environment.

An environmental disaster of this magnitude will almost guarantee this bills passage. Just as 9/11 had the patriot act passed almost instantly.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Beefcake i totally agree with you in regards to the alternative fuel. I was on a thread earlier speaking on the same thing. Big oil has the money to buy out anyone who comes up with anything, a team of people sit in their basement for years perfecting alternative fuel then one day Big Oil says "how many zeros on this check to make you go away?" Then the team starts drooling thinking about ferraris and etc. This is the reason there will never be anything different, money is power and everyone in the world wants as much as they can get and anyone who says different is lying.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Who is Obama pushing the clean energy policy to?? Most of the country didn't want the health care bill and that didn't stop them. Why should it matter on this one?

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
This is all about control of us and big money* In case obama forgot...solar panels are available out thier!!!! the problem..thier still expensive, hence forth its all about making money, not taking care of the environment. thier are LED bulbs, same problem, the costs havnt come down on any of them. some range from $30 and up for 1, yes 1 bulb*
now, obama technically is right* we do need better greener energy sources. the technology is here now as we speak. It would elimiate all these oil spills, and pipeline leaks we read in the censored news. the problem, is i blame government and the oil companys. oil companys are beyond GIANTS and dont want to fold or close shop..so they will prob do what i see other chemical companys doing....turning green*
Clorox makes green formula cleaners now, as an example. the thing is, thier known for making harsh chemicals dangerous to humans and life as we know it. turning green simply means their cashing in on the 'green parade'. my poinit? big oil is gunna wanna do the same. if they cant cash in...thier are no solutions.
in reality, they could care less if the earth livves or dies, especially us* the population. thats the truth. testing on animals is proof of that, then marketing toxic non biodegradable products at a cheaper value, than anything green n friendly*

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
He's only a professional, politican. I think he's probably just gaining "green points" with his political, msn, crowd.
Anyway how many people (who've posted) disagree that this spill does (in fact) underline the need to move away from oil?

The only propaganda, I see is: Given over 40 percent of America's oil is imported, anything short of releasing a "free energy machine" (or a massive switch to solar-nclear energy) will NEVER (really) reduce America's needs to extract oil, from its own waters.
Before the banking crisis most Western, "Obama type" governments, had been seriously planning, to please the Bankers by getting us all, into massive national debt; but through, massive, new green, technology, building schemes-subsidies.

These schemes could have created jobs (e.g in politically sensitive areas) and "allow for" wasteful government spending (and all the corruption-good contacts oppurtunities, this usually provides).

But national debt was created (to bail out financhial instiutions), and THEN be used for an "economic stimulous package" (which worked exactly the same way as "the green technology, plan" but with the added feature of producing almost zero, long term national assets).
So the truth is there isn't enough, money, left, to borrow. We are already overdrawn, and Obama will indeed be one term president, if he makes the country go bankcrupt, and then wonders how to borrow more money!!! Of course they will keep living standards falling, once they can be sure that their (over all) economy keeps on growing.

If they cause finachial meltdown (at this stage) chances are that most people in their government jobs today, will be replaced by others. Few people like loosing their jobs (even when the "elected replacement" is just as bad, as yourself!). Not only that, but I think they can count on, the Western peoples turning to Greek style violence-uprising (if things were to get drastically, worse).

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Acid_Burn2009
Here comes King Obama's Cap & Trade.

C'mon guys, from what I have read most of you are pretty smart and well informed. Should have seen this coming from the day the oil rig blew. Soon comes the day when we struggle to keep the power on because costs rise above what we can afford.

I'm really eager to see why and how we can afford the environmental consequence of the spill and the likely cleanup effort of biblical proportions. If a company can't control a leak from a blown rig 1.5 months and counting, there should not be in the business of drilling in the first place.

If you cover 10% of the state of Nevada with PV cells, you'll have enough energy for the whole nation. Just to give you a perspective.

It's just mind boggling that a nation that once went to the moon is hostage to a barbaric and antiquated way of energy production and transport. Big Oil sure loves that, and your attitude.

new topics

top topics

join