It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worldwide Cancer Deaths to Double by 2030

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Cancer diagnoses and deaths are estimated to double in the next two decades, officials at the International Agency for Research on Cancer in Lyon, France, say

Article Source

The International Agency for Research on Cancer, part of the World Health Organization, unveiled Wednesday its GLOBOCAN 2008, an online resource that provides worldwide estimates of the numbers of new cases of, and deaths from, cancer for 2008.

Christopher Wild, director of the International Agency for Research on Cancer says that by 2030, there will be nearly 21.4 million new cancer cases diagnosed -- mostly in developing countries -- and more than 13.2 million deaths, compared with 12.7 million new cases and 7.6 million deaths in 2008.

"These figures represent the most accurate assessment of the global cancer burden available at present and can be used in the setting of priorities for cancer control in different regions of the world," Wild says in a statement.

Fifty-six percent of new cancer cases in 2008 occurred within developing countries, with cervix and liver cancers the most common. Prostate and colorectal cancers are more prevalent in developed countries, Wild says.

Wild says lung, breast and colorectal cancer are the most commonly diagnosed cancers, but the most common causes of death are from lung, stomach and liver cancers.

This is horrible news, as if we don't have enough to worry about already. Let's just hope that Cancer Researchers stay ahead of this prediction. I rarely use the word hate, but I truly hate Cancer with every fiber of my being.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
This is absolutely FANTASTIC news!!!

Rising cancer rates are an indication of life spans that INCREASING!

TIRED OF CONTROL FREAKS

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I wonder why the article does not state why cancer is going to increase. We really need to implement better and healthier systems into the way we live.

There is too many chemicals and manipulation of the way things should be, we need to start focusing on what is good for us and the planet that supports us rather than the cost and building of wealth as a main priority.

As to cures I'm sure they are around but the industry makes too much cash treating the disease rather than curing it. There is a thread, about 2-3 weeks back about possible cures. Peppers and a garlic concotion started producing results. Cannabis oil being one of them, but as it is a plant no patent and therfore no money can be made from it.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
At least you are optimistic. Good way to look at it. But there is no excuse that cancer is not a thing of the past by now, imo cures are out there but taboo. Sure everyone dies eventually, but everyone should have the best chance to rather die naturally in sleep of old age with their heart simply stopping and not have to suffer. I pray the cures are finally open to all someday soon.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Longer lifespans.
Improved diagnostics.
Increasing population.

Sure the number of diagnosed cases will increase.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Longer lifespans.
Improved diagnostics.
Increasing population.

Sure the number of diagnosed cases will increase.

Ummm...Did I read the OP wrong? I thought it was deaths as well?

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Well it is good to see a response from a logically minded member.

Of course there will be an increase in cancer deaths,there will be more deaths in every category of what people die from.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by SmokeandShadow

You won't see a cancer caused death unless there is a diagnosis of cancer, will you?

But the actual statistics used are:

Cancer diagnoses and deaths are estimated to double

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
It's simply a result of the rule of summations. If we assume the rough (and I mean VERY rough) equation is:

chronic non-cancer disease + congenital disease + cancer + accidents = total deaths

Then obviously, if you reduce one variable, another will have to increase. We are able to cure and manage non-cancerous diseases with a higher degree of success, which means people are living longer and and larger portion of our population is reaching the peak age group for cancer development.

new topics

top topics

join