It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I will answer any question regarding meditation or enlightenment/nirvana

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
If you are not completely enlightened then how can you answer questions on enlightenment?

Anyone can, they just might be wrong.

Is it not true that, he who knows, knows nothing?

No, that's a contradiction. Are you implying "he who thinks he knows, knows nothing?"

If words can’t describe a thing in itself of what use is a definition of transcendence?

Words can describe through simile and metaphor. The mind can form more complex symbols for higher stages of thought.

Enlightened sages may be able to take a lot of punishment, who can say?

Them, I suppose.

Can enlightenment not just steal upon us?

No, that doesn't make any sense. Can a person of limited intelligence suddenly become smart, as if intelligence stole upon him?

Does focusing the mind on paradox or even a conjunction of opposites, achieve the same results?

This makes no sense, the same results as what? Another person? A paradox is a paradox because there is a contradiction, any type of focusing on this is just going to reveal this same fact.

Why not just observe your self, surely, ultimately that is all that is required?

You are correct here, that is all that is required.

Will you not have to unlearn everything you know?

It is impossible to let go of all memories. I have at least never done it nor do I want to.

Does this knowledge not stand in the way of what you are seeking?

No, knowledge is what we should seek, so how can knowledge stand in the way of knowledge?

You have offered to answer questions on enlightenment haven’t you?
I have some more but I’m almost afraid to post them! Shall I?

Ask if you want.

[edit on 6-6-2010 by filosophia]

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by strangleholder1
Tayesin,
Belief-Systems have been lying to us since we first questioned reality. They have caused us to think far too small all of the time. The time for small-thinking is over now.. time to Wake Up and see the Bigger Pictures for yoursaelf, time to Awaken to your natural state of awareness as a Soul and no longer be LED by anyone, Beliefs or Desires.

This is a fine example of a contradiction, you are saying don't become led by anyone but then suggest I believe what YOU say. This is why I don't believe any of it.
No one can answer my question without making contradictions. If ultimately my soul is perfect then what? do I have to gain by taking part in the rat race of spirituality while I'm down here on earth....

Filosophia,
Otherwise, we are staying in the world to become food for animals. God is not a being that could eat or not eat us, but rather an eternal essence that we can either realize or not. The highest absolute is a state and not a being. It is the creator of all beings, the true nature of all beings. It is possible in this lifetime to realize that essence.

Perhaps we are staying in the world against our FREE WILL, have you ever considered that we are being manipulated by something beyond our understanding. The way I see it ALL spirituality is nothing more than a crutch, if my higher self is beyond my understanding in its brilliance then why would I de-skill myself here on earth, doesn't that very concept seem a waste of cosmic resource to you? and therefore negative in its conception....

Its impossible not to create negative karma while here on earth, therefore we are always doomed to repeat the experience over and over again. The end goal of achieving the highest state of being is not possible in my opinion.

What do both of you think?

why would I de-skill myself here on earth

Perhaps being on earth is less than the spiritual realm. You seem to think that being on earth is real, while spirituality is nothing more than a flight of fancy. But everything we know about the life here on earth is fed through our senses, and we can not become aware of that which is aware. So spirituality is just realizing that there is a Self that is a witness to this earth.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Just wanted to insert an opinion here that may serve as a clarification and lead to further discussion.

I'm of the opinion that it can. Instead of occuring like the impossibility of an idiot somehow gaining masses of intelligence, instead it may natually occur like the phenomenon of genius. A genius is born in a way. They certainly may aspire to "it" but atleast half of their mystery lies in an unconscious realm where nature posits such people irrespective of personal desires. A genius doesn't develope his powers directly, but matures into them like a child transforms into an adult. In other words, he or she is born with a natural inclination to explore their own genius.

In the end I suppose it's a question of which comes first, the chicken or the egg or God.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by strangleholder1
Tayesin,
Belief-Systems have been lying to us since we first questioned reality. They have caused us to think far too small all of the time. The time for small-thinking is over now.. time to Wake Up and see the Bigger Pictures for yoursaelf, time to Awaken to your natural state of awareness as a Soul and no longer be LED by anyone, Beliefs or Desires.

This is a fine example of a contradiction, you are saying don't become led by anyone but then suggest I believe what YOU say. This is why I don't believe any of it.
No one can answer my question without making contradictions. If ultimately my soul is perfect then what? do I have to gain by taking part in the rat race of spirituality while I'm down here on earth....

Hi,
I include what I say in the not believing what you read concept.

Hence why I said it is important now to start waking up ourselves... you did read the words.. "for yourself" in that quote?

There is too much disinfo in the Awareness Industry and far too much limitation in the Belief-System Industry, so the only path that remains is to forge your own path... with all its pitfalls and amazing discoveries.

An old Druid saying, "When only one path remains, it is the perfect path."

So, no contradiction is to be found in my words, they are only offerings to plant seeds for those who will forge their own path and find their own truths.

That's my task here. Not to convinve by argument or more clever words, but to simply plant seeds along the way. What you do with them is your business, because once the seeds are planted my job is done.

Edited to add...

Perhaps we are staying in the world against our FREE WILL, have you ever considered that we are being manipulated by something beyond our understanding. The way I see it ALL spirituality is nothing more than a crutch, if my higher self is beyond my understanding in its brilliance then why would I de-skill myself here on earth, doesn't that very concept seem a waste of cosmic resource to you? and therefore negative in its conception.... Its impossible not to create negative karma while here on earth, therefore we are always doomed to repeat the experience over and over again. The end goal of achieving the highest state of being is not possible in my opinion. What do both of you think?

I've heard some theories saying we are "prisoners against our will", but in all honesty none of what I've experienced to date supports that theory. It is to me a limited perception of human beings... as is believing we cannot understand the bigger pictures.

The "de-skilling" concept is an interesting question that's been raised often over the years.

My experience is that we agree to certain conditions in order to experience this condition of life on earth. And we do so because we do not judge anything as being good or bad.. only humans and lower astral enitites do that.

I know it sounds far too simplistic but in essencce all things to do with your true nature as a spiritual being is very simple.. it is again human beings who have made it complex in trying to fathom it out by looking from the inside out and creating theories about it all.

Yet when one observes from the outside in, it all falls beautifully.. perfectly.. into place. And the only way I know to observe from such a vantage point is to "get out there and do it".. meaning to expand into your own higher states of awareness.

I also think Karma is completely misunderstood. From my experience it is only a mechanical system.. a part of the conditions of experience. When I set something in motion via thoughts, actions or words, it will automatically spread out and create outcomes.

So my instigations will follow their natural path to fruition. I do not perceive those outcomes as being good or bad, they are simply the natural conclusion reached by my instigations.

And so to me there is no such a thing as good or bad Karma.

The end goal, is highly achievable for one good reason. Because you the soul did not choose anything for experience that you cannot handle.

Now many people have trouble with that concept, because they are only perceiving it from their limited human awareness and therefore only seeing the smallest part of the whole.

Many think how hard done by they are in life.. especially when comparing their lives to that of others, instead of seeing that life is what you make of it, so if you put in negatives that is what you get back.

Yet to a Soul, the experience of being poor, half-starving and homeless is as valid an experience as being wealthy, healthy and living in a mansion of a house.

Since souls do not place value-added judgements on such things, we need to wake up again to see the perfection of life as it is for us in any moment.

But few will take the time and put in the little effort required to awaken. Many reasons for this, Belief-System attachments, comfort zones, peer pressure, "The Dream" we are all Indoctrinated into, and Fear. The fear was instilled in us from birth too to insure we do not look far from the socially accepted behaviours of our cultures.

Hope this goes some way to answering your good questions.

(Edited for terrible typos)

[edit on 7-6-2010 by Tayesin]

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by filosophia

No, that doesn't make any sense. Can a person of limited intelligence suddenly become smart, as if intelligence stole upon him?

are you serious? why not? What says someone can't become instantly intelligent through no explanation? Why can't someone get profound understanding without any hard practice and study? Have you ever had a NDE? have you heard the many testimonies of people coming back with a changed life, somehow saying they see things differently, understand things differently? Hey guess what! You're right, it doesn't make sense, but you answered, "no".

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by filosophia

Thanks for your answers, let me clear up some points.

‘Anyone can, they just might be wrong.’
Could you be wrong?

‘No, that's a contradiction. Are you implying "he who thinks he knows, knows nothing?"’ Yes.

‘Words can describe through simile and metaphor. The mind can form more complex symbols for higher stages of thought’.
Are simile and metaphor not the most dangerous words of all? What are higher stages of thought?

‘No, that doesn't make any sense. Can a person of limited intelligence suddenly become smart, as if intelligence stole upon him?’
Perhaps my choice of phrase was clumsy but I liked the words! Your metaphor is irrelevant really. Let me rephrase. Can enlightenment not just come out of the blue to someone?

Let me rephrase this question too.
If we focus our attention, and our words and thoughts, into the circle of a paradox can this facilitate enlightenment?
I have heard it said that the contemplation of a koan can lead to an instantaneous awakening. Is this because of the paradoxical nature of the koan? Does it give us an insight into the nature of words and thoughts? Or does it hold words and thoughts in a circle of incongruity allowing awareness to detach from them? And lastly if awareness can detach itself from its identification with words and thoughts where does it lie?
Ditto for the ‘conjunction of opposites’, it is a Jungian term.

If self observation is all that is required why do we need all these systems and methods?

‘It is impossible to let go of all memories. I have at least never done it nor do I want to.’
I did not mention memories!

We gain knowledge then think we know what enlightenment is, or have an idea of it. Does this not stand our way?

[edit on 7-6-2010 by midico

[edit on 7-6-2010 by midicon]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by juveous

are you serious? why not? What says someone can't become instantly intelligent through no explanation? Why can't someone get profound understanding without any hard practice and study? Have you ever had a NDE? have you heard the many testimonies of people coming back with a changed life, somehow saying they see things differently, understand things differently? Hey guess what! You're right, it doesn't make sense, but you answered, "no".

Because it is unrealistic. Can you become an Olympic swimmer with no practice? No. Can you teach yourself how to swim and become a good swimmer? Yes, but not without some type of practice.

A person can have a life changing experience from reading a book, or watching a good movie, or getting a second chance at life. Either way, there is some trigger or catalyst that helps them in that position, it doesn't happen out of nothing.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   
to: midicon

‘Anyone can, they just might be wrong.’
Could you be wrong?

I may not be helpful to you but from what I've studied and experienced I know that meditation and philosophy is the cheapest, most beneficial, and most neglected way of achieving true and lasting happiness.

‘No, that's a contradiction. Are you implying "he who thinks he knows, knows nothing?"’ Yes.

There's not much I can say to this, silence is perhaps is the answer.

‘Words can describe through simile and metaphor. The mind can form more complex symbols for higher stages of thought’.
Are simile and metaphor not the most dangerous words of all? What are higher stages of thought?

? Without simile and metaphor, it is impossible to learn anything. We learn through recognition of similarities. The higher stages of thought is being aware that you are aware and thoughts about this Self which is aware.

‘No, that doesn't make any sense. Can a person of limited intelligence suddenly become smart, as if intelligence stole upon him?’
Perhaps my choice of phrase was clumsy but I liked the words! Your metaphor is irrelevant really. Let me rephrase. Can enlightenment not just come out of the blue to someone?

Perhaps for a moment, but it's not like someone would realize what it was or appreciate it if it came out of the blue. Everything takes practice so I don't think you can become enlightened out of the blue. There are stories where people become instantaneously enlightened, but it's usually after studying Buddhism or meditating, so there is some catalyst.

Let me rephrase this question too.
If we focus our attention, and our words and thoughts, into the circle of a paradox can this facilitate enlightenment?
I have heard it said that the contemplation of a koan can lead to an instantaneous awakening. Is this because of the paradoxical nature of the koan? Does it give us an insight into the nature of words and thoughts? Or does it hold words and thoughts in a circle of incongruity allowing awareness to detach from them? And lastly if awareness can detach itself from its identification with words and thoughts where does it lie?
Ditto for the ‘conjunction of opposites’, it is a Jungian term.

If I were to say that there is no such thing as an immortal Self, but at the same time say there is a Self, this is a contradiction, or it appears so, only because what I am literally saying is there is no such "THING" as a Self, but that a Self is the witness to all other things. So it appears as if there is a contradiction, but in reality it is two levels of the Self, higher and lower. Most koans such as "one hand clapping" attempt to imitate this seeming contradiction by forcing two contradictory thoughts in the mind in a way where the Self realizes the truth of the koan. A koan is in a way a metaphor for how life is.

If self observation is all that is required why do we need all these systems and methods?

Works of philosophy are helpful in order to hear what other philosophers have said about enlightenment, but other than that you are correct, enlightenment is the exact opposite of a structured system. Structure implies rules, but the Self is unlimited. The only rule is that of infinity.

‘It is impossible to let go of all memories. I have at least never done it nor do I want to.’
I did not mention memories!

Ok, the past? Not sure how to arrive at the past but through memories.

We gain knowledge then think we know what enlightenment is, or have an idea of it. Does this not stand our way?

Yes, it does, and so after you reach some type of understanding, you have to stop the questioning and searching and go with your "gut instinct." At a certain point though, it is impossible to completely shut off your mind, this is why realization is important, because one realizes what is true, and therefore no more searching is necessary.

[edit on 7-6-2010 by filosophia]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Thank you for your time here, but I feel your reasoning for this post is EGO based and NOT for anyones benfit but your own...

All the same, enjoy YOUR search

Valorian

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Because it is unrealistic. Can you become an Olympic swimmer with no practice? No. Can you teach yourself how to swim and become a good swimmer? Yes, but not without some type of practice.

A person can have a life changing experience from reading a book, or watching a good movie, or getting a second chance at life. Either way, there is some trigger or catalyst that helps them in that position, it doesn't happen out of nothing.

The position you have on that "it can't happen out of nothing" is reffering to when I said "with no explanation", I didn't say it couldn't happen out of nothing, you did - I meant with no explanation from the individual's current perpsective Because I'm sure it could be explained, but we are talking about the moment of experienced, so I apologize if you
misunderstood me.

Now you argue, because it is unrealistic? Using an olympic swimmer as a metaphor is attempting to say you still need "practice" to achieve some sort of major insight or intelligence. You just admitted that people can have a life changing experience in a short period of time. The point of my argument was if it could come out of the blue, without any form of study or practice - is that a yes or no? If yes, I'm sure it will take some looking into, and practice to better understand it, but that wasn't the question.

I am also going to quote what you wrote to midicon

Anyone can, they just might be wrong.’

Could you be wrong?

I may not be helpful to you but from what I've studied and experienced I know that meditation and philosophy is the cheapest, most beneficial, and most neglected way of achieving true and lasting happiness.

Why not just answer the question? You avoided it. Just say yes, it is possible you could be wrong. Instead you said, "you may not be helpful to us" and what you say "is beneficial and neglected from achieving happiness"

When people go out of their way to appear correct, it says something about their character. Most gurus openly admit they could be wrong, and embrace it. You steer clear of that kind of criticism, why?

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   

The position you have on that "it can't happen out of nothing" is reffering to when I said "with no explanation", I didn't say it couldn't happen out of nothing, you did - I meant with no explanation from the individual's current perpsective Because I'm sure it could be explained, but we are talking about the moment of experienced, so I apologize if you
misunderstood me.

Now you argue, because it is unrealistic? Using an olympic swimmer as a metaphor is attempting to say you still need "practice" to achieve some sort of major insight or intelligence. You just admitted that people can have a life changing experience in a short period of time. The point of my argument was if it could come out of the blue, without any form of study or practice - is that a yes or no? If yes, I'm sure it will take some looking into, and practice to better understand it, but that wasn't the question.

I am also going to quote what you wrote to midicon

Anyone can, they just might be wrong.’

Could you be wrong?

Why not just answer the question? You avoided it. Just say yes, it is possible you could be wrong. Instead you said, "you may not be helpful to us" and what you say "is beneficial and neglected from achieving happiness"

When people go out of their way to appear correct, it says something about their character. Most gurus openly admit they could be wrong, and embrace it. You steer clear of that kind of criticism, why?

What does it say when someone goes out of their way to prove someone incorrect? Could you be wrong?

Knowledge is not gained by accident, the very basis of accident is contrary to knowledge. A person starting a car by bashing on the engine is an accident, compared to someone with knowledge that fixes the car based on expertise. One can not all of a sudden gain enlightenment with no explanation.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valorian
Thank you for your time here, but I feel your reasoning for this post is EGO based and NOT for anyones benfit but your own...

All the same, enjoy YOUR search

Valorian

And do you think there is no benefit to you for coming on here and sharing that with me? Is your statement not also ego based in trying to bash my ego?

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   

What does it say when someone goes out of their way to prove someone incorrect? Could you be wrong?

Knowledge is not gained by accident, the very basis of accident is contrary to knowledge. A person starting a car by bashing on the engine is an accident, compared to someone with knowledge that fixes the car based on expertise. One can not all of a sudden gain enlightenment with no explanation.

If someone goes out of their way to prove someone incorrect, it is to challenge the one making the claim's understanding to get clarity on their credibility. And yes it is possible the challenger can be wrong - but their intentions are justified as I just explained.

Knowledge is gained by accident all the time - you are basically slapping many of the great inventors of our taken for granted technologies right in the face. So are you saying if someone finds out that bashing the engine starts the car, this person did not just gain knowledge? What if bashing the engine starts the car every time? Well then they could just adjust their little idea so that it takes less bashing if they wanted to.

Edit: I am sure after your next reply, you will have forgotten about my previous questions, so just reminding you, you didn't answer or elaborate on them.

[edit on 7-6-2010 by juveous]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by juveous

Bashing the car is not the same as knowing how all the parts fit together. This knowledge can not be known by accident, but through repetition and repeated trial and error, which all scientists must undergo. Your desire for instantaneous enlightenment is found in the moment of samadhi, when you purify the mind. That is what you are after.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Meditation can be frightening. The reason most people can't do it is because they are afraid they will lose their self. Aside from thinking it will do nothing, some people are afraid it will do the most, by somehow stealing one's soul. This fear must be overcome, and when it is overcome, something indescribable happens. It's not imagination, although this new power could use it for imagination, but rather it's a kind of logic that connects you to Truth. There are no more questions that need to be answered, unless you want to answer them.

To understand the state beyond death, you have to understand death. This is where the fear comes from. You are imagining your spirit separating from your body. That's why it's a challenge. Just try being in silence while thinking the highest thought possible. I think of God but really as an idea, and that allows me to open my mind, which connects me to the higher realm.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Meditation can be frightening. The reason most people can't do it is because they are afraid they will lose their self. Aside from thinking it will do nothing, some people are afraid it will do the most, by somehow stealing one's soul. This fear must be overcome, and when it is overcome, something indescribable happens. It's not imagination, although this new power could use it for imagination, but rather it's a kind of logic that connects you to Truth. There are no more questions that need to be answered, unless you want to answer them.

To understand the state beyond death, you have to understand death. This is where the fear comes from. You are imagining your spirit separating from your body. That's why it's a challenge. Just try being in silence while thinking the highest thought possible. I think of God but really as an idea, and that allows me to open my mind, which connects me to the higher realm.

I have stayed away mostly from this thread, reason being almost ALL enlightenment threads end in a battle of posters wanting to claim they are the most enlightened!! However your post above caught me eye, on balance I agree with it . Its a good post.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
This is a great thread and I'm glad it's been going on this long.

My thoughts on everything that's been said is this:

You can know all the rules to the game but that doesn't mean you'll be a master player.

You can understand the chemistry of liquids but that doesn't mean you'll be able to turn water into wine.

You NEED to be good at everything, BROAD, a little bit o' this, a little bit o' that. Jack of all trades able to make some jack moves if you know what I'm sayin'. Jesus didn't write about himself, the disciples did that boring junk.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
It is not about who is more enlightened then who, it is about realizing that we all have the same potential.

The physical attributes are impermanent, only the will is immortal. The will can purify the mind while in a living body. This allows us to transcend the bodily prison. It feels like the body is being purified, but in reality it is merely the mind turning towards the will and gathering there.

There is fate, and there is free will. The will is inherently free, but becomes entangled in fate the more it wills. For example, at any moment you have the freedom to jump, but as soon as you do, gravity pulls you down. In a similar way, the will is absolutely free, *separate from body*, yet as soon as it starts to will, it becomes entangled in natural laws of inertia.

Just to clarify, since there has been a lot of questions on here (and I appreciate it), there is one goal of Buddhism/Metaphysics/Philosophy, and that is viewing the Self not as the body but as the Eternal.

Buddhism: "the body is to be seen as it really is, it is the product of past karma." samyutta nikaya 2.65. Last words: Corruptible are all things composite.

Plotinus: "Strive to bring the divine in yourself to the divine in the universe." Spoken before his death.

Boethius: "Since goodness is divinity, the goal of all good men, a prize no evil can steal away from them, because good men give that goodness to themselves, is to become gods." -Consolation

If you walked into a meditation class for the first time, sat on the mat, meditated for a few minutes, and then got up and said, "I am not my body, subject to the grave, nor am I the unending thoughts in my mind. Rather, I am that which I normally see out of, not my eye, but my third eye, I am what is behind that. No longer will I view myself as merely this body, but I shall view myself as the ever present Reality beyond All things,"

then I would say you got it.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Tayesin

First off I'd like to say thank you for taking the time to answer me in a manner that makes this a debate rather than an argument.

My experience is that we agree to certain conditions in order to experience this condition of life on earth. And we do so because we do not judge anything as being good or bad.. only humans and lower astral enitites do that.

I am here as a human therefore my lack of understanding is part of my experience, would you agree with that?.

If we are here to experience life on earth then surely we are cheating the experience by peaking behind the mechanics of the infrastructure that allow us to have this opportunity...
By reconnecting with our higher self have we cheated and cheapened the life experience IMO....
We both know that the majority of people on this earth will never meditate or feed their soul so are they staying truer to the experience they picked?
Are the others that practice such things losing out by softening their experience because they are using things like meditation etc to gain a better understanding?.....

The end goal, is highly achievable for one good reason. Because you the soul did not choose anything for experience that you cannot handle.

I was told once that my past life experiences on this rock have always been bad, therefore why would I come down here again?.....
Today I see the world and the direction it has taken and it sickens me, there is no way IF! I truly have free will that I will ever return here again. This is why I believe there is something forcing me into returning over and over hence the manipulation angle makes sense to me......

It makes sense to me because you/me/everyone has been de-skilled to such a level that it would be impossible to really know for sure that the whole thing is not just some cosmic soap opera entertaining the rest of the universe?. Sure you can talk to your guide/higher self/God whatever but wouldn't that entity tell you whatever you wanted to hear to keep you treading the boards?.......

I'd appreciate your thoughts on all this my friend........

[edit on 7-6-2010 by strangleholder1]

[edit on 7-6-2010 by strangleholder1]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by filosophia

So spirituality is just realizing that there is a Self that is a witness to this earth.

This is not true, I've yet to see any spirituality that doesn't come with any expectations on behaviour. I envy the man who has none for he can do as he pleases, he is truly free..

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join