It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I will answer any question regarding meditation or enlightenment/nirvana

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ithilc
reply to post by filosophia

So, how far of the goal would you say you're currently?

I wonder of the actual state of nirvana. So all suffering has ended, and peace is all that remains. However, if there's nothing to enjoy either, is it not just emptiness?

First off, I would like to clarify that I understand ancient metaphysics such as Buddhism and other spiritual religions like Advaita Vedanta. With that said, I have no more skill than a mechanic has in fixing your car. I can't perform miracles, but because I have a fair share of wisdom my life is all the more better. Wisdom is gained through meditation. It's hard to understand at first, but the more you can still your mind, the calmer you will be. So by understanding the core nature of your mind, you have a perfect medium by which you can then understand your mind. Meditation is about being conscious of your consciousness, understanding how your mind operates, and gaining wisdom as the result.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by godddd

So then, what is suffering?

Suffering is the inherent state of Samsara, the physical existence. Because the nature of physical phenomenon is con-substantial, requiring aggregate parts, it is separate from an essential unity. Only a unity can sustain uniqueness and thus be a single thing rather than multiple parts. This is why the God of meditation is called The One, in that it is a State rather than a being. Suffering is none other then being detached from this state and having the mind fall into corrupted thinking because it has lost touch with the light of the truth. At this point it becomes hard to understand and usually you have to speak in metaphors. So ponder this:

Once you cross over the other path, (cross over suffering), you reach the other shore (nirvana), at that point, abandon the raft that brought you there. Once you overcome suffering, you abandon the ties that made you suffer. This journey leads only to the other shore, it makes no reference about what to do after that point.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion

OK, I have questions for you...

What is a choice?

if you say the difference between polarity then,

What is polarity?

is you say perception,

What is perception?

if you say subjective,

What is subjective?

If choice was polarity, the decision would have to be based on perception, which would in turn by based on object, based upon subject, meaning the subject is the primary determiner of the choice. The object is that which is perceived, and the perception is a quality of nature, so the subjective is the conscious awareness of object. By turning the mind away from the object and towards the subject, you begin to analyze self-realization. Turning the mind upon the mind. Uncovering the truth within.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by midicon

If my life is happy and full of joy do I need enlightenment?
Can the pursuit of enlightenment be likened to a puppy dog chasing its tail?
Can the pursuit of enlightenment be likened to a suicidal death wish born of suffering?
Does enlightenment not just steal upon us, sometimes when we least expect it?
Is this world not enough for you?
What is enlightenment anyway? It means so many things to so many people, it is already an idea an imagining, we think we have it but we can never have it.

If you are happy then no I don't think you would need it. Spirituality is often called a cure for the sick, and once you are healthy you do not require it, unless you study it to cure other's sickness. However, meditation is about studying the mind, which is always going to be with you. So it is worth looking into.

No, Samsara is likened to a puppy dog chasing it's tail: birth to death, birth to death; fortune to misfortune, fortune to misfortune. A cycle. Enlightenment is the opposite, it would be likened to the dog gaining the wisdom to stop chasing it's tail.

Enlightenment is not suicide. Suicide is an escape from suffering, enlightenment is a transcendence of suffering which allows one to bear the suffering. Enlightened sages can take a lot of punishment, it is not because they enjoy it but they do it out of compassion.

Everyone can have realizations, that is the basis of enlightenment. The world is perpetual, it can neither be negated nor coveted forever. To be honest I am more of a mentality where I am not completely enlightened but I think that is what makes the journey special. The world is enough for now, I can gather all the wisdom I can handle.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   

reply to post by midicon

Noone can teach you enlightenment. The only thing anyone can do is offer you a probability, or offer you a possibility. Subjective perception. Your enlightenment may only entail you live a full and happy life.

Enlightenment is what gives a full and happy life. Your own ability to make yourself happy far outweighs any materialist desire.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by AProphet1233
How does one exist as a paradox?

Does this not make one a hypocrite and a villain when viewed at a particular angle?

Should they not be concerned for their souls?

No doubt, subjective experience is creative experience. But there should be, there must be, terms for objective validity, should there not?

What we know is that the Soul is One. So any type of subjective experience as a human flows into the collective consciousness, kind of like how rivers flow into the ocean. So a paradox is something that's essential soul is a paradox, like a human being, being both body and soul, those two things are opposite, but it makes us what we are. Humans have a self-consciousness that far surpasses animals, and if there is any way for humans to evolve into a higher species IN ONE LIFETIME it could only be through meditation. The power of the mind must be greater than the force of inertia.

What does this mean? You can believe anything? To a point, but why not focus that energy on Reality itself. Focus your mind on your mind. Then you can understand the nature of consciousness. By turning your mind towards yourself, you can see it, almost like you are looking at yourself, and you can then convince yourself that you do have a mind, or some process of thinking by which you can project your self to your self as a thought.

It gets complicated, but by observing these thoughts you are already accomplishing meditation.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   

reply to post by AProphet1233

What is totality?

Can you describe totality?

Totality is everything that exists. But the Soul is not considered a thing, so the Soul is the source of All, but not any one thing of the All. True totality is simply the One, the Eternal Soul, nothing more and nothing less. The pure energy of God. But as the soul descends, the One turns into Two, and emanation starts. This is the hierarchy of the universe, such as God (creator), to nature, to man. Man, to animal, to insect and plants. These levels do not happen by accident but by necessity of nature. The mind, as we call it, is the psychological instinct of every living thing, all directed towards the same target, which the ancient philosophers called "The Good." This Good is the goal of all nature. They firmly believed this. So that means that totality is this Good, which all things are ordered under and directed towards the Good. Meaning there really is no free will. However, the will can at any moment turn upon itself, and realize the system it is in: in other words, you realize fate exists, you can't avoid that, so you don't worry about what will happen. As a result, you act without fear. In theory, if your will is the same as the will of the One, then you would transcend the physical world and be able to accomplish anything.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Novise
Taken from www.zenbija.com...
Taken from a blog but the blogger has told the story correctly, I don't know anything about the blog though.

"There’s a famous story of the Buddha in which he responds to a question about the creation of the universe. Buddha uses an analogy; imagine someone shot by a poisoned arrow. A doctor tries to remove the arrow, but the victim won’t let him. “Before you pull out the arrow,” he says, “I want to know who shot me. Was it a man or a woman? Were they old or young? Why were they shooting at me?” Buddha explained that this is our predicament when we focus too much on metaphysical questions."

Now to my Question: The Buddha once said he only teaches what is needed to get off the wheel of suffering. He didn't go into any unnecessary metaphysics, he saw most of that to be a distraction from the path. He would not speak on so many thing that he knew. That makes me wonder, why was it necessary for him to give the teaching of reincarnation? Why was it necessary for him to teach the sideshow of reincarnation?

I also don't understand each past-life collection is supposedly unique to each person. Where each person has their "own" string of past lives. It would make sense to me if there was no distinction and nobody owned any past lives, and all past lives were everyone's. How is this possible without the soul/Atman? This is one of the few contradictions I find in Buddhism, and it seemed like he really took a big risk of people misconstruing his teachings for the sake of teaching reincarnation. In Buddhism/Reality all things have impermanent nature and are arising co-dependently without beginning or end and without label - then suddenly there is this huge leap where you can pick and tell which past lives are "yours" and which past lives are somebody elses.

Edit: but regardless of a proper explanation of reincarnation from a Buddhist standpoint, I mostly want to know why it is necessary, needed knowledge - right up there with the 4 noble truths, etc.

[edit on 4-6-2010 by Novise]

[edit on 4-6-2010 by Novise]

It's important to remember that although the Buddha taught about reincarnation, he taught to transcend the wheel of rebecoming and thus put a stop to reincarnation. In Buddhist tradition, reincarnation happens as a result of perpetual ignorance, so while people in the West may hope and pray for reincarnation (life in heaven), the Eastern people (at least in theory), are realizing their true nature and trying to end the cycle of rebecoming. That is the big difference. The Buddha does preach the complete transcendence of samsara by cutting away from the suffering, so in that regard he does not commit an error. However, he did avoid teaching about an elaborate metaphysics, which led to his deification, but there is always Plotinus that has elaborated a well functioning system of emanation from the One.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by DreamerOracle

you mean your head physically turns to the right? That is strange, are you sitting on the ground in half lotus position? Either way, don't meditate for too long of a period because your muscles can fall asleep. Switch positions after ten minutes or so.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by filosophia

you mean your head physically turns to the right? That is strange, are you sitting on the ground in half lotus position? Either way, don't meditate for too long of a period because your muscles can fall asleep. Switch positions after ten minutes or so.

Yes it is odd, I use Half Lotus also I'm learning Kundalini and Chakras.
I can meditate for the full hour without any need for movement of any kind as more often than not I don't feel my body or its discomforts during my meditation.
It wasn't an important question but the fact you seem knowing in the art of meditation.........well so I asked. So not usual for your head to turn unconsciously? A mystery nevermind I will just ignore it.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
What a jewel I have stumbled upon here on ATS.
I have just begun.
A month ago I meditated for the first time , the Mindfulness of Breating.
I had no comprehension how easy meditation was to at least begin.
Iam a person who has deep residual memories of the life in between , I think I may have tried to trick God? into deflecting Karma from me.
But early in life memories/shadows surfaced in my concious mind.
Sometimes I feel cut off.
I feel as if I may be a very bad sinner,espescially in the past life and sometimes I feel Iam replaying my past life.
Is it possible one can be punished for avoiding Karma?
This is what I feel I did in the in betwwen state/Purgatory.
Iam so tired fighting myself.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Now if your mind turned subconsciously, that is a good kind of turning, the turning towards yourself.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Expired

You can't escape karma, it's instantaneous. All you can do is purify your soul of the past karmic deeds by letting go of the past attachments. Try to calm the mind, and keep a journal of your meditation. Practice meditation and the writing of meditation. Be both the student and the teacher. Record your thoughts and teach yourself.

[edit on 4-6-2010 by filosophia]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   

So the idea of reincarnation was already in the minds of the east before he arrived, and he had to work within that structure? So he used it to relate his teachings, not as a teaching in itself?

To call someone a reincarnation of a Lama, I would think simply means that is a person who is understanding and at one and very talented with that particular Lama's teachings. Teacher and teaching are one.

Yet they find these reincarnations at early ages. Maybe there is some way to explain this, a method that allows them insight to the person.

But at the end of the day I find it really hard to believe they (Including the Buddha) all think our spirits are particular and that they hold some literal past-life history. Buddha taught no-Atman, and yet he believed in reincarnation?

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Novise

While Buddha found his truths it does not automatically assume that those truths are also ours, despite our "need" for Ultimate Truths.

Buddhism is like all other Belief-Systems in that it has been turned into an edifice with a finite path to Follow, which is not what Guatama did since he forged his own path.

So the concept of Soul or Atma (is it?) can seem very much confused, as can the concepts of Re-incarnation.

In Buddhism it is believed we are forced by ignorance to continue to return here, a world apparently filled with Suffering.

And yet my experiences since early childhood have shown me that things are far more simpler than any Belief-System would claim. It's shown me that we as Soul are huge and powerful beings that sends one small portion into the denser "realms" to gain experience to provide the Universe with experience of itself.

Yes we do re-incarnate because there are so many experiences on offer in every age as humanity becomes more technical and more allowing of some freedoms.

But there is no-one or no thing forcing this reincarnation, which as you know is a perspective totally opposed to all current Belief-Systems currently on offer.

I discovered for myself that once meeting the representative of Soul called the Higher-Self, one then begins the task of Remembering the lives, the paths that have brought us to Now.

In so doing we come to know what we are, what brought us to here, why we chose to be here and provides a direct connection out of limited human awareness levels back into our Soul levels of awareness.

Reincarnation to this world is a choice. Just as it was in our prior experiences on other worlds before volunteering for experience here.. and so we are already "Ascended Masters" that have agreed to Forget that about ourselves in order to gain experience here and slowly come to find out how we Awaken in the flesh of this world.

The goal for experience here is to be a fully awakened human being, one in full connection with the Soul at all times, which is the next step of human evolution on this world. It is also a place or state of being that we in other forms experienced here on this planet a very long time ago.

Back then we began to abuse the natural ability to create/manifest at will and so we allowed ourselves to lower in vibration until we wiped ourselves off the world.

Now we stand at that threshold again, where we are becoming more open to the growth needed for manifesting/creating at will. But we must remember to not abuse it as we did before.

Again, sorry for rambling on folks.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Yes letting go what a beautiful thought.

Just to let go.

The shadow if only I could be free.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   
OP, do you have much experience with the mahayana sutras? I think your philosophy might benefit from reading up on the bodhisattva thing.
If buddhism's purpose is only to remove your own suffering then when you dispose of the raft I think you might find your fire is giving off a lot of smoke.
If there is only one soul, how could you comfortably rest in nirvana knowing there are still suffering beings which are fundamentally you?
Might get rid of your boredom if there were infinite sentient beings to help.

A good place to start would be the koan of baizhang and the fox. Earlier you said something about how upon achieving a certain something one is beyond the sutras which is why I mention that case.

I'm also a little confused about how you mention pushing thoughts up and seeing light and stuff. This is clearly still playing around with the skandhas and kinda sounds like a temporal lobe seizure. I won't argue that seeing light internally can be an auspicious signal, but I'm pretty sure it is bad form(har har) to share your own pleasurable samsaric personal experiences as a goal to forcefully attempt.
Meditation is good practice for a lot of things but you can also clean up the mind and body, cultivate virtue(including wisdom) and get the same good feelings you get from meditation by being nice to a homeless person, even if you're totally entangled in and bewildered by the skandhas while you do it. What is going on there?

Finally, I'd like to hear more specifically about what enlightenment is and if you think you've got it because that is an enormous claim as I'm sure you know. Your use of the word 'state' more than once left me a little confused so I'd like to hear more.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   

If you are not completely enlightened then how can you answer questions on enlightenment?
I did not compare enlightenment to a puppy chasing its tail, I compared its pursuit.
I did not compare enlightenment to a death wish, I compared its pursuit.
Is it not true that, he who knows, knows nothing?
If words can’t describe a thing in itself of what use is a definition of transcendence?
If metaphor and analogy are required then surely we are lost? We think we have it, or an idea of it.
Enlightened sages may be able to take a lot of punishment, who can say?
I may be able to take just as much!
Can enlightenment not just steal upon us?
Does focusing the mind on paradox or even a conjunction of opposites achieve the same result?
Why not just observe yourself, surely, ultimately that is all that is required?
Or shall we endlessly complicate things with methods and systems?
Will you not have to unlearn everything you know? Does this knowledge not stand in the way of what you are seeking.
Perhaps what you are seeking is exactly the opposite of what you think it is!

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Ok thanks for your reply

I a way we say the same, only i do not convey it with concepts of buddhism but getting people to think about them self.
It is the ego why we suffer and why suffering is, if the ego is not, suffering has stopped.
This is the reincarnation we are discussing, die to the content of my consciousness which is the 'me' the image's i have built about life, about others, about myself.
Return to innocence means to have no images, and it's the images that are hurt.
An innocent mind can never be hurt.

When you say cross the river, that implies time, distance from here to there, and there means that there is a fixed point.
A fixed point surely you know is static, but life is not static, its flowing like a river, so it cannot be known.
But thought claims it knows, thought is time and thought is creating those points.
In buddhism i read about controlling one's thoughts, but what is it that is controlling thought? its thought controlling itself.
Also controll desire, but then what is controll? and even more important what is controlling it? another fragment of thought.
Controll means to surpress it, isn't it better to let it flow so one can observe and learn about it?
And when one does he is learning about himself gaining wisdom and understanding.
Would you say that this learning is the real meditation?

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 04:11 AM
link   
I got a question for ya.

Why is it that a good chunk of these "enlightened beings" end up being psychopaths? I've heard numerous accounts of these fools conning people for sex, drugs, money, etc, etc.. Why are there so many pedophiles who are "enlightened".

Could it be that it's because enlightenment is a fools dream, and the con-artist uses this knowledge to their advantage?!

Sai Baba the Pedophile

[edit on 5-6-2010 by unityemissions]

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join