It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I will answer any question regarding meditation or enlightenment/nirvana

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

A probability of what? A possibility of what?
Shall I devote my life to a possibility? Or a probability.
Or shall I just quietly observe myself would that not be a lot simpler?
Who knows where that may lead?
Perhaps I may find myself, or lose myself?
Or just disappear completely?

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by midicon

If i offer you a philosophical idea of enlightenment, that is only a probability. How can i describe an enlightened state of being with words that are symbolic representations of subjective observation?

Meditating may be one persons enlightenment, while raising a perfect child may be someone elses. How can i build for your observation terms of enlightenment?

Terms of enlightenment are subjective perspective related to the perspective of the observer. If you understand your part in the whole, could that not in itself be an interpretation for enlightenment(possibility)?

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Is this the way it goes? You answer my questions with questions?
Everything is so paradoxical these days. Is paradox the key?

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by midicon

Yeah, pretty much.

Im glad you understood!

The thing about words is, they are symbolic representations of subjective perception. So we don't really understand their context no matter what, so along with that comes the definition of context which is also subjective. So everything is paradoxal. When you understand the paradoxes your probably on track to figuring yourself out. But don't let anyone create these paradoxes for you, ask yourself questions and decide on them yourself.

[edit on 4-6-2010 by onequestion]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
How does one exist as a paradox?

Does this not make one a hypocrite and a villain when viewed at a particular angle?

Should they not be concerned for their souls?

No doubt, subjective experience is creative experience. But there should be, there must be, terms for objective validity, should there not?

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by AProphet1233

Your basing your question off of judgement. In the eyes of all, everything is beautiful and worthy of love.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Subjective, objective, what’s in a word?
There can be no objective where words are concerned.
Why not leave the soul out of it? Or can we wrap words around it, and describe it, as if we know it?
Why not think about the paradox of things?

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by midicon

Exactly, words represent limitations!

Our words are spellbound. Our words are magick.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by midicon

Exactly, words represent limitations!

Our words are spellbound. Our words are magick.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   

No judgement here, I was just trying to stir the pot and maybe benefit from an intelligent response.

True, the eyes of All are unbiased and perfect. Though, accepting my limited nature, I must conclude that everything is not beautiful and sublime. The experience of totality in untotality to me seems unpeaceful at best. Very concerning, this idea is.

About the beauty to be found in a fallen world I am more inclined to give fascination, Michelangelo's david or the Modonna. A lively beautiful paradox, this is.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   

What is totality?

Can you describe totality?

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   

You brought it up my friend and I assumed we had the same default definition of "All" in mind. This is the same as totality is it not? Why are you trying to play with words, my friend?

You are clearly no Shakespeare to blithely state that words are limited when you can't even capitalize.

Take a second to think perhaps?

Maybe make due with what objective intelligence you posses rather than throwing stones in the dark?

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Its fun to play with words. I wanted to here what you might have had to say to explain that one. (if not just for fun)

I mean, we are talking paradox here and enlightenment.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Taken from www.zenbija.com...
Taken from a blog but the blogger has told the story correctly, I don't know anything about the blog though.

"There’s a famous story of the Buddha in which he responds to a question about the creation of the universe. Buddha uses an analogy; imagine someone shot by a poisoned arrow. A doctor tries to remove the arrow, but the victim won’t let him. “Before you pull out the arrow,” he says, “I want to know who shot me. Was it a man or a woman? Were they old or young? Why were they shooting at me?” Buddha explained that this is our predicament when we focus too much on metaphysical questions."

Now to my Question: The Buddha once said he only teaches what is needed to get off the wheel of suffering. He didn't go into any unnecessary metaphysics, he saw most of that to be a distraction from the path. He would not speak on so many thing that he knew. That makes me wonder, why was it necessary for him to give the teaching of reincarnation? Why was it necessary for him to teach the sideshow of reincarnation?

I also don't understand each past-life collection is supposedly unique to each person. Where each person has their "own" string of past lives. It would make sense to me if there was no distinction and nobody owned any past lives, and all past lives were everyone's. How is this possible without the soul/Atman? This is one of the few contradictions I find in Buddhism, and it seemed like he really took a big risk of people misconstruing his teachings for the sake of teaching reincarnation. In Buddhism/Reality all things have impermanent nature and are arising co-dependently without beginning or end and without label - then suddenly there is this huge leap where you can pick and tell which past lives are "yours" and which past lives are somebody elses.

Edit: but regardless of a proper explanation of reincarnation from a Buddhist standpoint, I mostly want to know why it is necessary, needed knowledge - right up there with the 4 noble truths, etc.

[edit on 4-6-2010 by Novise]

[edit on 4-6-2010 by Novise]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion

What is totality?

Can you describe totality?

I'll just say I have a slight disgust for all things unnatural.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   

I agree!

Harmony wins.

Thanks for challenging me lol its always fun.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by MischeviousElf

Thank You Elf.

I appreciate your sharing, and I do understand your path has worked well for you too.

I'm in complete agreement that we can reduce the timeframes required to bring about changes in ourselves rather rapidly, if we can find the ways that will work well for us.

The world needs more teachers and less Teachers.

The difference being that a Teacher is one you can pick in a crowd for the clothing and words, while a teacher cannot be picked out of the crowd. And in most cases it is the teacher who will show you easy methods to reach the real Teacher Within.

Thank You Elf.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion

I agree!

Harmony wins.

Thanks for challenging me lol its always fun.

Lol, where was I challenging you?

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by filosophia

Hello Filosophia....
I became inquisitive about the Vedas and Sanskrit and from a science point of view the power behind the humanas.
I began to listen to Vedic Mantras while falling asleep. Before falling asleep properly in those falling off a curb pre sleep moments....I had a wierd occurance.........
I was in a small gathering with a Cobra raised up ready to strike.
A hand grabbed my wrist and thust my hand into the open mouth of the cobra.
It was about to sink its teeth into my hand when time seemed to stop.
A voice said would you knowingly put your hand in the mouth of this cobra before you had learned how to charm it.
I took this as a lesson from a source I was not yet familiar with and decided to practice meditation, along with a Vegetarian diet which does help clear the mind.
I again listened to the Mantras and awoke the next day to yet another very strange occurance.
I heard a dog barking but as he barked I heard words within the barks.
It took me a matter of weeks to meditate with no interruptions for 1 hour.
I have had quite a few moments of my true self of which have been enlightening to say the least.
Firstly meeting the big brown eyes of a Indian looking woman looking back over her shoulder at me.
Secondly was the same voice in my first experience telling me that, "I am a Creator". This I understand in the sense of my true self creating my current exxperience.
Finally as I could go on and on lol......I was in a golden glowing sky and in the source of the glow I saw someone meditating but could only catch their outline as it was so brilliant a glow.

So LOL....finally my question ..........When I meditate my head keeps turning to the right? Shouuld I break concentration to return to forward facing or just go with it.
Yeah I know its not a serious question but it is very annoying...........

P.S from source Humanas were powered by Ether.

[edit on 4-6-2010 by DreamerOracle]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Th0r
Is diet an important factor in mediating & enlightenment.

I abuse many poisons. nicotine. alcohol. marijuana.

I have taken '___' on occasion and am considering upping dosage or trying DOB just to see what it brings.

I am not heavy abusing (well except smokes)

Any advice from anyone is welcomed.

Meditation helps with diet. Think of it as helping you reach a healthy diet, rather than having to train to meditate. The meditation is the training.

All I'm going to say is that meditation is not just about drug induced hallucinations. While ecstatic, mystical type of experiences can accompany meditation, especially when in samadhi, the main practice of meditation is to calm the mind by turning the mind towards eternal and constant things rather than mundane detail of life.

I am not sure of what DOB is and would not recommend doing meditation with any kind of drug unless you know what you are doing.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join