It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I will answer any question regarding meditation or enlightenment/nirvana

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I read somewhere that (buddhist?) monks can't see/predict beyond 2012.
What do you see happening during and after 2012?

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by mahis
I read somewhere that (buddhist?) monks can't see/predict beyond 2012.
What do you see happening during and after 2012?

There are many differant Monks, some good and some bad to!

Nothing is certain, about the future and cant be thats the nature of impermanence, and free will, and the particular thing you mention is just western pyschobable that has no particular or proven link to an actual origination of who said it that was ever posted. Just like someone saying it on here who is to say they are who they say they are?

Chinese whispers mate.

The great Oracles certainly have not said such an thing, or any really well regarded practitioners with any regard.

The Buddha who made many prophecies that have since come to be proven to have passed, mentions another Buddha coming after him, he hasnt yet (in this lifetime) become enlightened, but is very close. Those who know of these things know who he is to, but he is not who many will immediately think he will be on reading what I wrote! Lol.

So if there was no time after 2012 the next Buddha could not in this material manifestation (the Buddha was talking about an Human Incarnation not the Formless realms) come about!

Just trash my friend as written about in mnay places every day, if truley said by one who couldnt see past that time as he was not able to anyhow!

The following is very interesting and watch from 1 minute in, a TRUE tibetan monk would be in that position not into worryng about fantasy of the future anyhow! Dont think about so far ahead be in the now, You or I could be hit by lightenening anyhow so why waste our energy and time and THOUGHTS on it?

As I have said for a long time on here.

3 Simple steps, to effective practise.

Relax.

Now.

Love.

Elf

[edit on 3-6-2010 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by juveous

okay then that is a bold statement why not teach yourself?

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ithilc

The purpose of trying to reach nirvana is to transcend. The purpose of meditating, so you can achieve a balanced state of mind. The absolute goal of meditation is to achieve nirvana, the absolute transcendent.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by mahis

Buddhists don't typical predict world events, their statement is a fact, not a prediction, that life is suffering caused by desire. So that is what happens in 2010 and beyond, suffering caused by desire. Only by turning inward and meditating on the absolute does one achieve a higher state of bliss. Meaning that society must turn away from materialism, a hard challenge for society. Realistically, some people will awaken, others will not.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by filosophia

Only the individual can will their actions, meaning there is no such thing as a collective will but rather the will of the individual.

Is it the norm that the Buddhists teach that the overall picture is all about the individual and not the collective?

When I first started to meditate I realized the difference between the collective consciousness which influences you to do certain things, and the individual will which is based on higher values such as truth, honesty, and above all happiness.

Only when the individuals change, will the collective consciousness change. That, is why we must all work on this. That is what has gotten us into trouble spiritually as the human race, to much thought of the I/me, and not the we/us.

Compare this to the society we live in which pushes capitalism and greed, depravity and dishonesty.

Yes, that is what happens to the collective, when the thoughts of individuals are only about themselves. We influence the collective as individuals.

Meditation has allowed me to take a path that goes contrary to the world, and as a result, I have been much happier.

And imagine what happens to the collective when everyone does this. It becomes a whole new world.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   

reply to post by juveous

okay then that is a bold statement why not teach yourself?

Is this a question towards me? or the readers of the thread?

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by filosophia

That doesn't really answer the question; to continue on that, why do you then want to transcend?

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by ithilc

That doesn't really answer the question; to continue on that, why do you then want to transcend?

The purpose of Buddhism is to end suffering. So to transcend is to liberate yourself from suffering. The reason to end suffering is because suffering is bad and unwanted.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by juveous

what I meant was, if you are going to come on my thread and start insulting me, you better at least back it up with some teachings of your own, otherwise you are just a heckler. Respectfully.

I "grasp" the concepts I am teaching, so if you can, please point out how I fail to grasp it and then how you would go about grasping it or explaining it more clearly so that others may grasp it.

[edit on 4-6-2010 by filosophia]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by FiatLux

Only the individual can will their actions, meaning there is no such thing as a collective will but rather the will of the individual.

Is it the norm that the Buddhists teach that the overall picture is all about the individual and not the collective?

Buddhism is about teaching suffering, the origin of suffering, and the cessation of suffering. The individual or collective has little to no part in the overall teaching of Buddhism except to lead the individual towards nirvana.

Still, it stands as a fact that only the individual can will their actions, meaning whenever someone says a corporation does this, or a country does that, it is really just a generalization since even an army is composed of multiple individual's wills, even though one command may trickle down from the highest commander. It is the will of the individual to follow that command, since no general can force his grunt's to will their own will. Which is why treason is a crime, to prevent individualistic free thought, however, there are always deserters meaning that rule however harsh can still be broken.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by MischeviousElf
As I have said for a long time on here.

3 Simple steps, to effective practise.

Relax.

Now.

Love.

Elf

Hi Elf,

Many people would agree with you.

Simplicity is also the perspective I see, and yet within that same perspective I see being Now as one part of the whole, just as seeking is for some, as awakening to their higher-self awareness is for others.

The use of the term higher-self here is to express the "symbolic representative" of what could be considered as Soul-levels of awareness. Not sure what the equivalent "level" is in Buddhist Doctrine.

While awareness in the Now is extremely important, so too is remembering the paths that brought you to Now. For these tell you what you really are, why you are "here" and brings Full Awareness to the Now.

In General now...

There are many on our world now who are, for want of a better term, Awakening. Many paths have brought these people to begin understanding the roles they chose to participate in for this timeframe, as a Soul.

And so we cannot assume that any one path is The Path.

People on their way to Awakening learn how things will work for them. For some following the path of many thousands before them is their chosen way, while others Awaken on their own as perfect "timing" arrives, and still others are happily sleeping not to awaken until the bell tolls, so to speak.

So, as we Awaken we find ourselves "opening" to more light. We find that our thoughts create our emotions, and they drain or empower us depending on how focused on those thoughts one is.

I call them stories. You know the type, a person has a "negative" thought, followed quickly by doubt and fear emotions. Then together.. the rising energy within that emotion is supercharged by the focusing of Attention on the initiating thought.

And like all thoughts being focused on, they take us away from Now.

This doesn't mean that all thoughts are ineffective for awareness. We can use them to "open-up" to more light, to explore various "levels" of awareness or vibrations at will and begin the task of Remembering among other things.

I was fortunate to find a teacher when I was 17 who told me some things I hold important to Practice....

1. Come to practice as if naked.

*So hold no thoughts, Beliefs, Concepts or Desires that will Limit the Experience.

2. Imagine that long ago a man held a massive perfect gem as he stood atop the great mountain. One gust of wind and the gem dropped, smashing into millions of shards all around the mountain.

People found those shards and exclaimed, "Look here. I have a gem, it is perfect". Another would shout, "Look at mine, it is more perfect than your's." And other people from all around the mountain called out.

*Let us not be as those people.

Sorry for the length of post.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Is diet an important factor in mediating & enlightenment.

I abuse many poisons. nicotine. alcohol. marijuana.

I have taken '___' on occasion and am considering upping dosage or trying DOB just to see what it brings.

I am not heavy abusing (well except smokes)

Any advice from anyone is welcomed.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   

So, how far of the goal would you say you're currently?

I wonder of the actual state of nirvana. So all suffering has ended, and peace is all that remains. However, if there's nothing to enjoy either, is it not just emptiness?

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   

So then, what is suffering?

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Tayesin

Thank you for sharing the teaching you had, it is very wise indeed.

A great post I learnt much by it.

Just for simplicity the reason I prefer certain ways over others, and esp when one goes on their own as you describe is as follows.

Some forms of Buddhism, like in science have shown time and time again that to do certain things in a certain way always produces the same result.

Many a master of old has shortened and cut down the time therefore needed to get to the source or goal, and the pitfalls and angers lures on the way.

I practised solely for many years and many differant forms, however whn I took the tried and tested approach as taught, and by one who had doen the same my experience, and progress in 1 year outweighed 10 years of finding my own way and mixing and matching differant approaches.

Like a map rather than being lost is the thrust of what I mean.

The same is true for most of the paths, however many of those gems you speak of have themselves split and broken the wisdom and true teachers gone. Buddhism is one of the only ones left that is fully intact though true masters are diminishing still, it is not a better gem than the others just easier to find, and still full and not broken or with lost facets to it.

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   

OK, I have questions for you...

What is a choice?

if you say the difference between polarity then,

What is polarity?

is you say perception,

What is perception?

if you say subjective,

What is subjective?

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   

reply to post by juveous

what I meant was, if you are going to come on my thread and start insulting me, you better at least back it up with some teachings of your own, otherwise you are just a heckler. Respectfully.

I "grasp" the concepts I am teaching, so if you can, please point out how I fail to grasp it and then how you would go about grasping it or explaining it more clearly so that others may grasp it.

[edit on 4-6-2010 by filosophia]

If you took it as an insult because I said what is being taught is in part misleading, then I would like to know why you don't think that is even a possibility.

I never said you didn't grasp the concepts, I was referring to anyone in the audience that did, and didn't experience it themselves.

That's the whole deal, - "explaining it more clearly" - a person who is asleep isn't going to get "clarity" from explanation - at least on this subject.
Guiding them through something so that they can get clarity from themselves is probably what you mean, but if that person wants to skip some info, and ask a question that will get them there quicker, and then you answer them, any clarity from it, isn't clarity. - And since you are the Guru - it should work.

Do i want to teach these people an experience? What good is that? Even If could teach them how to get there, when should they be expected to arrive? is it like a 12-step program? After all the advice, if they take all of it, understand all of it, practice all of it, and nothing or very little happens, should they look else where? If not, are they doing anything wrong? This is your thread, so I don't have a problem with your answers, they are your answers to questions people have, but if you don't think they could be misleading, I would ask again why not.

as far as my own teachings - I ask you, can anything be taught in the form of a question?

[edit on 4-6-2010 by juveous]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   

If my life is happy and full of joy do I need enlightenment?
Can the pursuit of enlightenment be likened to a puppy dog chasing its tail?
Can the pursuit of enlightenment be likened to a suicidal death wish born of suffering?
Does enlightenment not just steal upon us, sometimes when we least expect it?
Is this world not enough for you?
What is enlightenment anyway? It means so many things to so many people, it is already an idea an imagining, we think we have it but we can never have it.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by midicon

Noone can teach you enlightenment. The only thing anyone can do is offer you a probability, or offer you a possibility. Subjective perception. Your enlightenment may only entail you live a full and happy life.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join