It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Killing spree prompts UK gun laws review

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Killing spree prompts UK gun laws review

news.ninemsn.com.au

The British government has flagged a possible overhaul of the nation's gun laws after a taxi driver embarked on a mass shooting spree, killing 12 people.

Home Secretary Theresa May told the House of Commons on Thursday the government would wait until police had finished investigating the deadly attacks before debating whether UK gun laws needed to be tightened.

Taxi driver Derrick Bird killed 12 people and injured 11 others during a three-hour rampage across several towns in the Cumbria region
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk
www.telegraph.co.uk
news.smh.com.au
online.wsj.com

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Why overhaul and strengthen the already-draconian gun laws all because of one lone nutcase named Derrick Bird who happened to intentionally misuse a firearm?

This is total insanity.

Many Britons would covet gun laws like Texas, so that they can live carefree lives while having a friend sitting on their right hips - handguns.

Guess what I mean by that - concealed carry.

news.ninemsn.com.au

[edit on 3/6/2010 by ironfalcon]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by ironfalcon

Why overhaul and strengthen the already-draconian gun laws all because of one lone nutcase named Derrick Bird who happened to intentionally misuse a firearm?

This is total insanity.

Many Britons would covet gun laws like Texas, so that they can live carefree lives while having a friend sitting on their right hips - handguns.

news.ninemsn.com.au

Mate MANY Britains would hate that , our murder rate would skyrocket , you ever seen England on a friday night about 11.30 pm ....sheesh...be like the ok corrall

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by ironfalcon

Yes sir....down in the tex if you shoot at someone they will be shooting back. And as Ron White says if you kill someone down there Texas will kill you back.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
All it would have took is one law abiding citizen carrying a gun to blow this sucker away saving many lives.

Want to review the UK gun laws? Review that.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   

This is total insanity.

news.ninemsn.com.au

They will tighten it in an effort to increase the nanny state that England has put in place.

It is my opnion that the best way to lower crime is to empower the people to defend themselves and deter crime. Concealed carry is the only answer to gun violence, short of removing the ability to buy or create weapons for any human (which is impossible).

CX

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Pretty obvious this would be discussed in parliment after what's happened. They can't really sit there and be seen to do nothing.

The most sensible thing to come out of anyones mouth today has been from....believe it or not....David Cameron. Words to the effect of not doing a kneejerk rection to this as no-one can legislate for the flip of a switch in someones head.

Very true.

One ex police chief today was advocating that only police and soldiers have access to guns. Hmmm good luck with that one then.

Another policing expert suggested changing the laws so you could not have ammo so readily available near your gun.

The only way that would work would be to have somewhere you book your ammo in and out for the task you need it for. Still wouldn't work in my opinion.

Someone could quite easily gain access to their ammo for false reasons, then go on a spree like this guy. Or lie about how much ammo you use and just stash it.

Anyway i doubt it will ever come to something as stupid as that.

CX.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by CX
The most sensible thing to come out of anyones mouth today has been from....believe it or not....David Cameron. Words to the effect of not doing a kneejerk rection to this as no-one can legislate for the flip of a switch in someones head.

Sure you can. Governments do it all the time. It was knee-jerk legislating against the flip of a switch in someone's head that made the UK gun laws what they are.

If it werent for knee-jerk legislation against the wholly random and unpreventable event governments would have anything to do.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
What this sad story says to me is:

1) People who shouldn't have guns will always still be able to get them.
2) The police can not possibly protect an entire country from these hideous acts.
3) Strict gun control DOES NOT protect against gun related violence (see point 1).

The only people effected by gun laws are the lawful, who aren't the people we should be worried about having guns!

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
This is insane!

Who has the guns? The Police, the Criminals, those with permits and the Armed forces.

Any tighter legislative action to the man in the street owning a gun is only going to work for those obeying the laws. Criminals will just laugh, the Police and Armed Forces don't fall under the umbrella.

I could get a handgun in London or Manchester and get ammunition too, no one would be any the wiser.

Congratulations parliment, your actions will just be futile, again.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   

what are you talking about? I don't know anyone who would want a gun anywhere near them. Britons laugh at the US and their pathetic laws on guns and the "right" to have one, all the while wondering why people are getting shot here, there and everywhere.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Frakkerface

I live in the UK and I want a handgun and know loads of people that want a handgun for self protection. The US is a VERY big country, so the crime is going to scale to the size of the country.

Don't forget that the media blows things out of proportion. Look at the UK and it's "knife crimewave". Scare tactics.

Speak for yourself on topics like this, don't generalise our population.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
All it would have took is one law abiding citizen carrying a gun to blow this sucker away saving many lives.

Want to review the UK gun laws? Review that.

Or ...one previously law abiding citizen to go mad.....

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Markz0r
reply to post by Frakkerface

I live in the UK and I want a handgun and know loads of people that want a handgun for self protection. The US is a VERY big country, so the crime is going to scale to the size of the country.

Don't forget that the media blows things out of proportion. Look at the UK and it's "knife crimewave". Scare tactics.

Speak for yourself on topics like this, don't generalise our population.

well the subject is/was based on a generalisation. I'm quite amazed by what you say, i really have never heard of anyone wanting a gun except for people in gangs etc. I think it is quite an alien concept for most people in the UK.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Since when have criminals obeyed the law?

It's not a deterrent for someone already committed to the idea of crime when you make things illegal.

Laws are things that only non-criminals obey.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by gambon

Talk about living in fear.

At any moment anyone for any reason might drive up on the sidewalk or dump bleach into your water or crash a hammer over your head while you wait at an ATM.

That one more factor that some previously law-abiding citizen might use his lawfully owned firearm to cause harm is just too much a deal breaker given the infinite number of ways a previously law abiding citizen may use any object whatsoever to cause damage and death?

It's cool for a guy to fly a plane over my town but I'll be damned if I permit him to own a pistol.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
This was a black flag event. Just as in China of late. What if this is carried out by the government, who later finds a patsy who dies by self inflicted wounds? Any one of these spree killers alive or did they all allegedly commit suicide?

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Originally posted by gambon

Talk about living in fear.

At any moment anyone for any reason might drive up on the sidewalk or dump bleach into your water or crash a hammer over your head while you wait at an ATM.

That one more factor that some previously law-abiding citizen might use his lawfully owned firearm to cause harm is just too much a deal breaker given the infinite number of ways a previously law abiding citizen may use any object whatsoever to cause damage and death?

It's cool for a guy to fly a plane over my town but I'll be damned if I permit him to own a pistol.

not really, I am actually just showing how easy it is to turn arguements like that around , I enjoy pistol/rifle/shotgun sports, but it is TOTALLY POINTLESS saying the UK should allow general firearm ownership, it is never going to happen in a hundred years so why bother whittering on about it should be like texas or wherever, many folk in the USA carry a pistol , simply because everybody else might be just in case they need it , If that isnt FEAR I dont know what is...its a lot easier to reach out and touch comeone with a firearm....

The usa has a history of firearms , the standard of firearms safety etc is much more aware there simply because you are used to them , most brita have never fired or needed to fire a firearm in there lives and would therefore probably be useless with there care etc...

BY the way...GUNS have WHEELS!!

[edit on 3-6-2010 by gambon]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by CX
Pretty obvious this would be discussed in parliment after what's happened. They can't really sit there and be seen to do nothing.

Why would Parliament have to do anything? It's just a police matter.

One ex police chief today was advocating that only police and soldiers have access to guns. Hmmm good luck with that one then.

And of course criminals. They're the real problem, but always left out of the equation because it's easier for the nanny state to bully around law abiding citizens than criminals.

Another policing expert suggested changing the laws so you could not have ammo so readily available near your gun.

The only way that would work would be to have somewhere you book your ammo in and out for the task you need it for. Still wouldn't work in my opinion.

Same as banning guns outright. No available ammo, no need for the gun. Hunters would have to tell their quarries, "Wait right here while I go check out some ammo to shoot you."?

Someone could quite easily gain access to their ammo for false reasons, then go on a spree like this guy. Or lie about how much ammo you use and just stash it.

Exactly. And exactly why your current gun laws - and those of Australia and Canada - don't work. Sorry, but depending on a violent criminal to be honest enough to tell why he needs the ammo?

Contrast your situation with Nevada where we allow concealed carry. I was at a town council meeting last night where the sheriff said that many violent criminals don't come to Nevada simply because they are basically cowards and won't be able to tell who is armed and who isn't. I know where I'd rather live - A place where I'm allowed to defend myself, because understand this simple fact: The police investigate crimes, they don't prevent them ...

Anyway i doubt it will ever come to something as stupid as that.

CX.

Sure they can (and will if you let them).

Are they still trying to ban spoons as potential deadly weapons in the UK? When it's sticks and rocks your nanny state is banning, welcome back to the stone age.

[edit on 6/3/2010 by centurion1211]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Logarock
reply to post by ironfalcon

Yes sir....down in the tex if you shoot at someone they will be shooting back. And as Ron White says if you kill someone down there Texas will kill you back.

so I build a fully auto ak and wear milspec body armour? then what?everybody else does?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join