It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BP Has cut pipe....now what?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Watching CNN live and the Admiral dude (yeah sorry was doing like 15 things at once and don't know who it was exactly) was holding a press conference live and has stated the pipe has been cut and a cap is on it's way to being put in place to at least lessen the leak for now.

edition.cnn.com...

While this may not be the end it looks like this will at least cull the enormous flow of oil into the gulf.

**Edit

New headline from MSN, also some info on the next steps after pipe-cut.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

**More

So it was Coast Guard Adm. Thad Allen. that did the interview, you can see some of it here on CNN...www.cnn.com...

[edit on 3-6-2010 by CalibratedZeus]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I just saw a live shot of the cut, it is a bit ragged and doesn't look like they gave themselves much room for error in attempting to cap it since the cut is so close to another joint in the pipe. Which calls into question, why not breach the bolts holding the two together and have a clean surface to make this attempt?

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   

why not breach the bolts holding the two together and have a clean surface to make this attempt?

Thank you! I was thinking exactly the same thing yesterday while watching the live feed. Would it not be an easier task as well??

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
From the MSN link above...

However, it warned that the pipe cut was irregular and it would therefore be more challenging to get the cap on.

Once the cap is in place, BP will begin funneling oil and gas to the surface, the Coast Guard said.

Irregular cut, great. Yeah, I guess it doesn't look like they are making it easy for themselves.

I don't know anything about the physics of bolts and cuts at 5'000 feet, but I would assume you have to take each bolt off simultaneously or risk the pipe being ripped off due to the pressure and make it even worse.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Maybe they use an epoxy when joining those together as well, that could explain why they wouldn't undo the bolts?

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Either they are looping the video or it looks like they are now trying to continue cutting with the saw...maybe they are trying to remedy that awkward cut?

edition.cnn.com...

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
We need to boycott them and all their products and service stations. Here is a link please comment star and flag!!!!!!!!!!
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by concerned190

I completely agree. I drove by a BP station yesterday and was several people stopped to gas up and was wondering what in the world they were smoking.

It almost makes me wonder if they even know what is going on.

The ignorance of today's people....

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
please visit the link, BP also owns amoco, am/pm/arco, castoroil...........

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
They're not looping the videos. They cut it with the CRAW (Crab Claw), no it isn't the cleanest of cuts but, the next stage clamps around the flange itself not the freshly cut pipe. The bent riser was in the way.

Here the link to all of the currently available video feeds.

There are 12 ROV's down there each with a couple of cameras.

www.bp.com...

[edit on 3/6/2010 by who-me?]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by who-me?

Thanks for the clarification, so that explains why the cut was so close to the flange..

From the news report, they are hoping to have the tophat down there within a couple of hours, if this one doesn't work they will have to lower a larger version which would be less efficient.

Hopefully they finally can report some success, we could use something positive right about now.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I know you cant tell from a picture, especially since every one I have taken has been fuzzy and crazy like this, but this is a snap from the rover right now, with the saw blade fully ablaze and cutting away even more at the top of the opening.

Originally they started with a saw, when it got stuck they switched almost to a pair of super-scissors, now the riser pipe is chopped off and they are still cutting?

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Here are some good shots of the pipe

Why are they cutting a notch down the side of the pipe?

ETA: additional shot

[edit on 6/3/2010 by UberL33t]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I find it amazing that the solution they are wanting us to be happy about was the one where they get to continue to collect oil.

And the one that would have closed the well up just didn't pan out.

The tophat was always BP's intended solution. They want that oil... they believe it's their 'property.'

Way to stall, guys.

Now watch as they plead fiscal crisis when it comes time to pay up.

The Admiral just guaranteed himself a job in the oil industry...

Everybody that matters to them wins!

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
So is it?

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Not a notch, they're seemingly cutting the pipe all the way around in small sections

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

Looks like they may be trying to get rid of that tab or piece of angle iron welded to the pipe?

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by IcarusDeepSea

I think so, looks like they're close to knocking it off.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Hip hip horray they are going to fix the leak! Wait, what's that you say, there's a much larger leak 6 miles away? Can't be could it?

How easily we are proven to be fools.

The plumes they have found could not have come from this pipe they are fixing, that is unless I missed something.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
This piece is hanging on by a thread

top topics

<<   2 >>

join