It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Living In Denial: The Truth Is Our Only Weapon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
On a site such as ATS in which any conspiracy no matter how far fetched gets ample discussion time and hypotheses which have been long-debunked also re-emerge, this article presents some interesting information for the true skeptic (of which there's not a great number on this site). The author provides brief examples of Holocaust denial and evolution but presents a balanced viewpoint for the modern skeptic that, if employed on this site, would likely improve beneficial interaction.

Living In Denial: The Truth Is Our Only Weapon

ENGAGING with people who doubt well-established theories is a perennial challenge. How should we respond?

My answer is this: let them be heard. Examine their evidence. Consider their interpretation. If they have anything of substance to say, then the truth will out.

What do you do, however, with people who, after their claim has been fully discussed and thoroughly debunked, continue to make the claim anyway? This, of course, is where scepticism morphs into denialism. Does there come a point when it is time to move on to other challenges? Sometimes there does.

The author, Michael Shermer, goes on to present an excellent set of general guidelines for the true skeptic:

We should not, however, cover up, hide, suppress or, worst of all, use the state to quash someone else's belief system. There are several good arguments for this:

1. They might be right and we would have just squashed a bit of truth.
2. They might be completely wrong, but in the process of examining their claims we discover the truth; we also discover how thinking can go wrong, and in the process improve our thinking skills.
3. In science, it is never possible to know the absolute truth about anything, and so we must always be on the alert for where our ideas need to change.
4. Being tolerant when you are in the believing majority means you have a greater chance of being tolerated when you are in the sceptical minority. Once censorship of ideas is established, it can work against you if and when you find yourself in the minority.

If find these to be great general guidelines

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
the denial phase is when people get angry. I recall hearing somewhere, that the computer works like a brain only faster. I think "firewalls" have been "installed" into peoples' brains without being noticed by said being. like in religion when you show some evangelical christian older, more accurate history which contradicts their own (admittedly edited by the way) religion--- THEY GET VIOLENTLY ANGRY? this has always bewildered me, and maybe others as well..

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by rebeldog
the denial phase is when people get angry.

That is true in a lot of cases. However, there are still people who present and argue issues that have been long-debunked and do so without anger. This can only be described as "denialism" for lack of a better term.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
What has always baffled me is when the "illogical believer" turns the table on all of the above and calls the "logical debunker" out as being in denial, living in fear or ignorance, or is a "disinformation agent or "paid shill". This makes the IB able to continue, digging deeper into their beliefs, and their conspiracy then oozes over to include you. And then you are told you have a closed mind, no matter the road you followed to come to your opinion.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by stars15k
What has always baffled me is when the "illogical believer" turns the table on all of the above and calls the "logical debunker" out as being in denial, living in fear or ignorance, or is a "disinformation agent or "paid shill". This makes the IB able to continue, digging deeper into their beliefs, and their conspiracy then oozes over to include you. And then you are told you have a closed mind, no matter the road you followed to come to your opinion.

I find that comical and frustrating also. But when things reach that point they are no longer arguing the merits of their case. The truth should be able to stand without the incorporation of yet another conspiracy.

new topics

top topics

join