It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Cameras the New Guns?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
gizmodo.com...

In response to a flood of Facebook and YouTube videos that depict police abuse, a new trend in law enforcement is gaining popularity. In at least three states, it is now illegal to record any on-duty police officer.

Hopefully this is in the right spot, and there's not another thread on this.

I came across a link to this article that's showing a disturbing trend by states, and police to keep them from being recorded while in public. If this keeps up, nobody will be allowed to watch the 'watchers'.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I can see it. Must have a "journalists" license to own or use a camera.

If permits and licenses dont "infringe" on the 2nd why would they "infringe" on the 1st?

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Yes, they are terrified of being exposed!

They are going crazy when finding cameras recording them..

Keep it up!

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Absolutely ludicrous.

The only reason law enforcement officers would not want you filming them is if they intended to stretch or break a few laws themselves.

If they were acting honorably, there would be absolutely no cause for concern, as the film or photo evidence could be used to support them in case they were wrongfully accused of something.

Clearly, laws such as these exist to legalize officer misbehavior. The police force is above the law, and we lowly peons had better not dare to try and expose their misdeeds.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
it is more like nottingham than since 1776. i would have joined robin hood, you? these "police" are ALL cowards.. either by participating or by lack of arresting those around you who are, every department has crooked sgt's, leuitenants, etc.. mayors are corrupt sometimes too. any cop who is more worried about protecting their own career, family etc , over upholding the law is too BIG A COWARD to be wearing a badge.. if your career gets ruined by taking down a corrupt govt official SO WHAT!! THAT IS WHAT YOU SWORE AN OATH TO DO.

little side rant from a former marine and federal officer

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by SpacePunk

Very interesting. It seems an audio recording alone is enough to be arrested for nowadays. The police are justifying their actions by claiming that "they were not a consensual party to the recording". This is being used to intimidate people from recording the actions of the police in public places.
The sword cuts both ways then and it's just a matter of time before some citizen will use the same law and defense while being recorded by the police, i.e. that they "were not a consenting party". Let's hope that happens anyways.

Good find Spacepunk, BTW, your name is actually the name of my first band from way back in '76, the Space Punks. Good choice!

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   

With cell phone video at almost HD and capable of uploading at the same time.

There are no secrets. Those that would trample the rights of the citizenry had best beware.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
This is crazy guys, now we cannot record these cops when their off duty. What if they change it to even when they are on duty. If you see tv or yourtube the only way these pigs get busted is if they are actually recorded if not NO ONE WOULD BELIEVE them.

I could imagine this in a 3rd world country or maybe even France, but not the US...

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   

I am shocked that people are actually believing that they can place you in jail for recording video!

Then all the Private CCTV cameras guarding businesses and homes now that record cops, will be in violation of a felony?

I can sit on the corner all day and record whatever I wish too, if they come and arrest me because a cop happens to roll up and beat the crap out of someone in front of me and think there is a law that supports me being incarcerated for 4-10 years just because I was video tapping where I was at would be the BIGGEST CIVIL RIGHT VIOLATION in history!

Ask anyone in the Media industry in Hollywood, there isn't a law that has this authority.

Now I am not saying that TPTB are not trying to move this along and I actually can see the effect it has been having, but again, they just cannot arrest you for filming!

So then whats next, are they going to seize every cell phone and hand held camera now?

There is no stopping once they try to start doing something like this, there won't be phones and media anymore.

You think the Media corps that sell Broadband and phones are letting the Police take their trillions a year away?

Think again. The people still have all the power they just could careless about it!

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
There is no reasonable expectation of privacy in public areas, and as such filming cops should be allowed.

One can conclude that by passing laws making it illegal to film cops, states are giving cops the greenlight to commit any number of abuses.

That being said, no one should be surprised if cops suddenly start turning up dead, since if one is being abused, there will be no other evidence other than self defense.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
you must have a camera to show the truth. Otherwise you never stand a chance in litigation.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I feel that this may be put in the TOO hard basket.
I mean really, how are they going to monitor this.

Scenario:

A group of a hundred people or more, in a situ where there are a number of cops committing an offence. A majority of the plebs have a camera of some sort and are all filming....
Question:
Are they going to confiscate or arrest these people.
No it would be impossbile!

Or even again, lets up it to a few thousand people...

They are just trying to instill more fear of TPTB... That is all this is..

Its wont get through the net!!!

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
ahhh we are truly becoming like the movie Demolition Man.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
All I have to say is this:

If your doing nothing wrong, you've got nothing to hide.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
This thread has prompted me to start carrying my camcorder with the 20x zoom EVERYWHERE.

I have also notified my attorney to be ready in case I am arrested filming LEO's in action.

My tax dollars pay their salaries. I don't pay taxes to buy lies! VAL.

new topics

top topics

join