It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US wary of nuclear blast to stop Gulf oil leak

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   

June 3 (Reuters) - The official in charge of managing the U.S. response to the oil leak disaster in the Gulf of Mexico on Thursday downplayed the possibility of using a nuclear or other explosive device to try to seal off the well.

"I think that's really on the peripheral of things we ought to be talking about right now," Coast Guard Admiral Thad Allen said when asked about suggestions that a nuclear explosion be used to seal off the leak.

SOURCE

Do you believe this? I say they're going to nuke it, sure as hell. One nuke down each one of the "relief wells". They will do it wait and see.

Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 6/3/2010 by AshleyD]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Please add the link to the Reuters source in your opening post.

Other than that, I hope they will use this alternative, which is known to work, to stop the oil spill, I really don't see why this option hasn't been considered from the first day on, the spill would have been dealt with by now.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
They should nuke it. Melt the whole core of the problem and lets all focus on alternative energy and screw the oil drilling. Blow the whole dang think up and focus on solar, wind, water and magnetics for energy.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyFever
They should nuke it. Melt the whole core of the problem and lets all focus on alternative energy and screw the oil drilling. Blow the whole dang think up and focus on solar, wind, water and magnetics for energy.

Sure, magnetic zero point energy is a good way to go. The extra heat produced by the device could be useful in arctic climates. Heat and energy all in one, can't beat that.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
The worlds biggest hydrogen bomb is the only bomb they need.

It will do the job.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
The worlds biggest hydrogen bomb is the only bomb they need.

It will do the job.

My goodness. Won't that leave a mark?

I was thinking of some "piner" nukes.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by chorizo4

Well the smart science people have left a mark already with offshore drilling.

A hydrogen bomb would surely fix it.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
How the hell would blowing it up fix the leak? Common sense dictates that if you blow something up it expands.. am I missing something?

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by kybertech
How the hell would blowing it up fix the leak? Common sense dictates that if you blow something up it expands.. am I missing something?

Sure common sense says no. But this is a little like the Theory of Relativity, common sense doesn't get you there.

They must employ "the wisdom that goes beyond".

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by kybertech

There was a thread on ATS recently. Watch the video:

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Clairaudience

here's the source link:

www.alertnet.org...

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
This video shows the Russians utilizing a small nuke to stop a gas well blaze that had gotten out of control.
It's actually an old USSR propaganda film showing us how exactly they extinguished the fire. I see no real reason the same technique could not be utilized to attempt to stop the oil leak in the gulf. It seems quite logical.

[edit on 3-6-2010 by JayRodney]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
double

[edit on 3-6-2010 by kybertech]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Etherguide

Hmm that makes sense, however drilling like this underwater should be difficult. And they would have to know exactly the geological conditions so that the explosion does choke the flow but don't the pipe apart.

Wasn't insufficent geologic knowlege the cause of the leak in the first place?

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by JayRodney
This video shows the Russians utilizing a small nuke to stop a gas well blaze that had gotten out of control.
It's actually an old USSR propaganda film showing us how exactly they extinguished the fire. I see no real reason the same technique could not be utilized to attempt to stop the oil leak in the gulf. It seems quite logical.

[edit on 3-6-2010 by JayRodney]

Those aren't "relief wells" they are drilling, they are "nuke chutes". They just don't want the use of nukes to be open to public discussion.

Better call my bookie on this one. He'll book it and he will get smashed.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by chorizo4

Do you believe this? I say they're going to nuke it, sure as hell. One nuke down each one of the "relief wells". They will do it wait and see.

Chorizo you crazy little salchichon... a nuke's the way forward!

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Sorry if im being a bit of a thicky...

but wont a nuke just make things worse? i mean what if it ruptures the ocean floor (the roof of the oil chamber) what if it cracks and caves in and releases all the oil from the chamber at once, turning all the oceans black???

its a hole that has been drilled right? cant the just get a gian cast iron peg that fits the diameter snug with a fat heavy head and drop it in?

its a hole.... just plug it

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by CrimsonMoon

The pressure of the water 5000ft below coupled with pressure of the oil release adds to very tricky working conditions, what seem like simple methods soon become near impossibilites.
Have a look at this thread here:
How to block the oil leak nuke-style

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
heres an interview with a Dr. Rheinhart about the explosion of oil thats under pressure...

i urge you all to not refer to the 'event' as an innoccous 'spill' ...
its more accurately an "OIL HEMORRHAGE"...
worthy of a 'National Disaster' Declaration, Mobilization

heres the link to the interview discussion:
breakfornews.com...

thanks

PS:

at (around) the 16 minute mark (or there abouts) Dr Rheinhardt details the web address of a information/data base [he said it so fast i could not begin to write down the website address that is accessible to the public]

put out by the Russians which gives all the details of the several hundred , underground, nuclear detonations that were carried out by the former soviet union,
this info would be useful in trying to seal the well pipe And create a cavern in the rock strata above the 'dome' of this oil/gas resevior...
with a 1-3 kiloton atomic device

~L~

[edit on 3-6-2010 by St Udio]

join