It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Drone Wars - Web Based Game??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   

US Drone Wars

NOTE: Update - I just discovered there actually is a game called Drone Wars, a fact I was not aware of. This scenario is in no way linked to that that game. Title amended accordingly

"This is surely the most realistic 3D web gaming system you have ever seen. Hunt and destroy terrorists in the mountains of the Afghanistan/Pakistan border area. Stunning photo quality screens permit you to pilot your drone where ever you will, seeking out and destroying terrorists.

This game has lifelike limitations of weapons capacity and endurance requiring periodic returns to base.

Gain points for kills and work your way to the top of the US Drone Wars 'Kill Board of Honor'.

Join with other friendlies in realistic real-time attack scenarios and direct 'troops' on the ground to increase your kill score."

Now, what if this was the latest internet game craze? Would many gamers want to play it?

And what if it was not a game, but was actually piloting a drone in Afghanistan?

Would this be a possibility in the future? Discuss!

It was this:

Scott Shane, “C.I.A. to Expand Use of Drones in Pakistan,” New York Times, December 3, 2009

that set me thinking.

[edit on 3/6/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Can you add a link to the source?
That would be helpful.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

No source. This was just a thought I had that maybe some time in the future a web based game 'could' be created where in fact the gamer was piloting a real drone, with the gamer not realising this.

Apart from the article about the increase in drones, I was amazed that the controllers sit at a desk in the US to fly these things. It might be reasoned that gamers would make the best pilots.

That's a really scary scenario.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I cannot see this being a reality.

It beggars belief that a gamer would inadvertently blow away a perceived enemy because without his knowledge the virtual machine he thinks is his toy is in fact a real machine flying over the mountains of some far away hostile war zone (hostile because war mongers said it was).

The reasons for this not being a reality anytime soon I think are simple in my opinion.

How many times have you played a serious online game only to get irritated, bored or suddenly mischievous enough to line up your teammates and “let them have it”. I have done this and I found it very funny as I fed on their reaction.

How many times have you flown low over your team mates and then decided to see if you can ram a large virtual machine down their throat because one of them made a bad comment on your piloting skills the last time you rammed a scout off a hill at mach 1 (OMG n00b are you blind?).

I have done this and I loved it.

How many times have you come across a big mouthed and highly annoying commander ensconced near a bush and directing the war? How many times have you surrounded this big mouth with C4 and then blown him into orbit trailing the special sounds of “WTF APPEND?!? - OMG YOU AGAIN!” (weep).

No, even with the most realistic and strict rules of engagement a gamer will always find a way to grief someone as and when they wish because apart from playing a team member there is also much fun from getting someone who takes a game way to seriously to jump up and down and throw a fit because you joined the server like one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse.

Pick a name like “I-am-not-a-team-killer “ and be amazed at the trust that is suddenly placed in you.

Griefing is the nature of the game in that if you are having a dry run, you cannot get to the other team but you want so much to get to someone then what better excuse than to turn to your teammate, smile and then blast him to death and crouch his face half a dozen times until the sweet sound of, “OMG N00BLET IF I EVER SEE YOU IN REAL LIFE I WILL (snip).

I see similar scenarios in a supposed war where the gamer thinks he is just annoying a group of men on a hill but instead and unknowing to him he has just “blue on blued” a team of Special Forces into the next world for simple jollies before logging off for dinner.

1) Asked him to pose for a screenshot just prior to emptying a magazine of virtual rounds into him.

2) Shoot an “elite” teammate with a massive ego in the head prior to repeatedly going prone over his corpse as his death camera looked up at the sky.

3) Agree that you will obey the commands of the so called leader and that you will behave from now on just prior to stabbing him to death and stealing the gun he said you could not touch because you were the new guy.

4) How many times have you seen teammates clambering up a hill as you gazed down at them via the camera of a predator drone and thought it would be much more fun to send that hellfire down into their midst rather than the other team because one of your teammates conveniently did something that offended you enough to spank him into a million scattered pieces?.

5) I no longer play online games (put that gun down) – I am limited to chess out of choice these days but put a fickle gamer in command of a global hawk without telling him/her it is for real and you had better get ready to dodge some body parts and get ready for some serious explaining in front of the world media too.

[edit on 3-6-2010 by SmokeJaguar67]

new topics

top topics

join