It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Woman Fired For Being Too Good Looking?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   

A Woman Fired For Being Too Good Looking?

www.sodahead.com

Can you be too good looking to work at Citibank?

According to Debrahlee Lorenzana, you can. In a lawsuit filed after she was fired, the five foot six inch tall, 125 pound New York stunner said her bosses told her that she was fired because she was too hot, reported the Village Voice.

"They said their body shapes were different from mine, and I drew too much attention," the bank teller told the Village Voice.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.villagevoice.com

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I've heard of cases where it's been claimed that one woman candidate got hired in favor over another woman because she was better looking. So I thought being good looking was supposed to help you get (and keep) jobs?

So can being too good looking actually get you fired as this woman claims?

So is she good looking enough to make this claim?
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0d933bb06353.jpeg[/atsimg]

After reading the article, do you think there is any merit to her claim?

I think there are two sides to every story. But we can't hear Citibank's side of the story because "Citibank officials won't comment on the suit."

She also thinks she got hired for her good looks.

www.villagevoice.com...

When she started the job, she says, a colleague told her that the branch was "pretty much known for hiring pretty girls," and that she knew Lorenzana was going to be hired from the moment she came in for her interview. "So here I am," Lorenzana recalls, "thinking I got hired because of my capabilities, and now you're telling me it's because of my physical appearance? Oh, great."

So can she really claim she got fired for her good looks after saying she got hired for her good looks?

Does that make any sense? I don't know, I'm just asking.

www.sodahead.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
That photo in the news article isn't the clearest, here's a link to 25 clearer photos of Debrahlee Lorenzana:

www.villagevoice.com...

Here's one of them:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b263461f4fe9.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 3-6-2010 by Arbitrageur]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
There's probably more to this story than simply her "hotness". However, I've seen many times how a pulchritudinous woman in the office will distract certain men from their normal duties.

+19 more 
posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Wow. She's certainly full of herself.

She looks like any other 40 year old woman. Like a cast member of that "menopause can be sexy" show, Desperate Housewives.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

..Or, are the other women in the office jealous? I've seen this first hand.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Lest not forget that at work in a morning she is probably more of a munter as these publicity shots will have been touched up in some way.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer
There's probably more to this story than simply her "hotness". However, I've seen many times how a pulchritudinous woman in the office will distract certain men from their normal duties.

Wow I had to look that big word up, it seems as though it's another word for "hot" but harder to pronounce

So what's the answer to keeping the men from getting distracted and keeping office productivity up? Certainly not firing the woman? Though I'd like to hear Citibank's side of the story.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by and14263

Certainly they have been. If her lawyers goal is to prove she was "too sexy" staged glamor shots are a given.

Now that I've looked through the rest of the photos her manish jawline and square frame lead me to believe she may be trans-gender.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Every job has qualifications. This simply is a new one to have to deal with. Why is this an issue? She should just say "thank you" and move on to a job better suited to her qualifications.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

Wow I had to look that big word up, it seems as though it's another word for "hot" but harder to pronounce

So what's the answer to keeping the men from getting distracted and keeping office productivity up? Certainly not firing the woman? Though I'd like to hear Citibank's side of the story.

Someone else brought up the other women becoming jealous and this is another excellent point. I have a bit of that in my office at the moment. Very likely, the perfect storm of both of these conditions could have lead to terminating the subject at the center of it all.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
She's definitely a nice looking lass, but I've seen better.

I'm fairly sure that it's her attitude and flirty behaviour that has got her the sack, rather than her looks alone. Obviously an ugly woman who flirts wouldn't be as much a distraction as an attractive woman.

Women who are full of themselves simply cannot act rationally, and from the photoshoot pics it's fairly obvious that she's that type. It's ironic that she will now probably make more money because of her fame and good looks, than her female employees, just because she's better for window-dressing.

I also think she wouldn't look half as nice without all that make-up either, and maybe smile a little more.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Oh, gosh, like somebody else said, she sure seems stuck on herself. I think this is more a matter of pride for her. She thinks she's hot. I think she's at best, just average looking. I've seen 60 year olds look better in glamour shots!

One comment on the shoes, in the work place, completely innapropriate. What if she tripped over an extension cord or something? Perhaps she was slow, because in heels like that, it probably took her 10 minutes to walk 5 feet!

The other pictures don't do her justice, either. OMG, she has the biggest feet I have ever seen on a woman! Either that, or it is the type of shoes she selected.

She said when she was warned to tone down her look at the office, that she couldn't afford a new wardrobe. Perhaps she could have swapped some of her ugly, designer clothes at the local Goodwill for something more appropriate. Not only that, none of the suites in her pictures even match. She's all over the board with her, "look." White skirt, navy blazer and tan shoes? Looks to me like she just slapped whatever together out of her 5 closets of clothes!

This is all about her ego, and not even related to job performance, in my opinion.

link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

Someone else brought up the other women becoming jealous and this is another excellent point. I have a bit of that in my office at the moment. Very likely, the perfect storm of both of these conditions could have lead to terminating the subject at the center of it all.

Of course the attention seeking less attractives are always jealous of the attention seeking attractive types.

link   
Wow. I thought only men(like me) were cocky.

Fired for being too good-looking?
She's attractive, I'll give her that but come on...
That's just another way to scream for attention.

Either she rubbed someone the wrong way, pun intended...
Or she didn't rub at all.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by yoesse
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Every job has qualifications. This simply is a new one to have to deal with. Why is this an issue? She should just say "thank you" and move on to a job better suited to her qualifications.

If she wasn't hired because of some qualifications, I'd buy that argument. But she had the same qualifications when she was fired as she did when she was hired, plus whatever experience she had while working there, right?

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Shows how Money Power and Greed causes the brain to rot. This chick is a dog. Bow wow.

These Bankers have no taste at all. How anyone could be so distracted by her they had to fire her is way beyond me.. perhaps it's something in the water.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Just the fact that she believes she was fired because she was just so hot tells me a little something about her personality, and the photo shoots just add some confirmation to it in my mind. I'd say she's extremely conceited, and if I had to guess, she probably got fired because she's difficult to work with.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I will also just add, although the story itself is an issue for debate and it highlights areas of employment laws etc AND it's nice to have some light hearted fun every now and then... Surely this is just another one of those MSM stories designed to distract us from life and constructive thought?

I mean hell, it's taken 20 minutes of my life I won't get back.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Very pretty lady...what was her "position" within the company?
There are MANY women out there who hold responsible positions in every field and I suspect that perhaps her "attitude and actions" may have led to her termination and not simply because she caused men to swoon when she walked down a hallway?

I and many of my friends have been considered "far above average" in the looks department our entire lives and while "looks" might just give you a slight edge in getting your foot in the door for a great job op,it's your performance and brains and the way you treat fellow employees that will keep you there unless you are in a beauty-related field of work.

Not very cool on her part to play like she didn't KNOW her "looks" may have given her an egde either: lots of positions are high-profile and yes,it helps in hiring if you suit the "brand" in terms of how you represent: I suspect she knows exactly where her "power" lies as most women do...

Sorry girl: suck it up and move on,even if you're at the TOP of your game in terms of "what you do" for a living,you aren't gonna' win this one,especially with those of us who also "look" a certain way and don't buy your ploy for reality show,the morning talk-shows,and obvious continued self-promotion...save your energy for another job interview?

She'll get dates and some attention out of it...and...I suspect that's what this is REALLY all about in the long-run?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join