It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Strong storm in Denver brings hail 0.75 to 1.5 inches.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 06:13 PM
link   
A powerful thunderstorm in the Denver area brought hail ranging from 0.75 to 1.5 inches. Flash-flood warnings were issued and flooding was reported in some areas. There were no injuries reported from the storm.

Strong storm buffets western metro area
A powerful evening thunderstorm piled up hail in foot-high drifts and flooded some streets in Golden.

Tall hail drifts were reported by the Colorado Mills shopping mall. Hail diameter ranged from 0.75 inches to 1.5 inches, according to the National Weather Service.

I have not lived in Denver so I am not sure if this is normal for that area in June. Are there any ATS members from the Denver area that can report on this?

Related News
TheDenverChannel.com

[edit on 9-6-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Wow! That was some hail storm! I may be wrong but i cant see that kind weather being normal anywhere. The U.S. certainly has been experiencing some strange weather recently. Prob just a freak storm.

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I am not sure the above pictures are from that storm. I am checking other sites to see if i can find more information. Those pictures seem to have been taken in winter instead of in June.

[edit on 9-6-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Bizarre weather stuff, didn't Denver just have record temperatures?

Fire and Ice days are here....

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Yet another one of those weather anomalies I have been reporting here at ATSNN. I am sure there are those who think these events by themselves mean nothing. and in a normal climate that would be true.. But I can tell you through some research that there is a massive climate change in the works on a global scale.

Great report!

Maybe if more members here at ATS would start reporting things like this people may start to see the signs.

Gazz

[edit on 9-6-2004 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 06:38 PM
link   
it looks like snow on the roof of that car. Are you sure that this was taken recently? Couldn't it have been a winter storm? Pretty bad flooding as well. Weather has been strange lately.

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 06:46 PM
link   
That's what I am trying to find out, those pictures were taken from the bottom link I provided in my original post. It looks too much like a winter storm to me. I am still trying to find more information but no luck. It would help if we get some input from ATS members that live in that area.

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I found that in June in 1947 there was a report of a "trace" of snow. So snow is not unusual in June, but it says a trace. What those pictures are showing is quite a lot of hail.

"COOL WEATHER CAN STILL OCCUR IN EARLY JUNE. THE LATEST FREEZE ON RECORD IN DENVER OCCURRED ON JUNE 2, 1951 WHEN THE MERCURY DROPPED TO 30 DEGREES. THIS IS ALSO THE RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE FOR JUNE.

SNOW HAS BEEN REPORTED IN THE CITY AS LATE AS JUNE 11 WHEN IN 1947 A TRACE OF SNOW WAS REPORTED.

...TAKING A LOOK BACK TO JUNE 2003...

JUNE 2003 BECAME THE 8TH COLDEST JUNE IN DENVER WEATHER HISTORY. THE MONTH FINISHED WITH AN AVERAGE TEMPERATURE OF 62.1 DEGREES RANGING FROM A HIGH OF 88 DEGREES ON THE 28TH DOWN TO A LOW OF 40 DEGREES. JUNE 2003 WAS THE FIRST JUNE SINCE 1972 WITH NO 90 DEGREE TEMPERATURES RECORDED. IN TOTAL CONTRAST...JUNE 2002 HAD 17 90 DEGREE DAYS AND JUNE 2001 TOTALED OUT WITH 12 90 DEGREE DAYS.
THE NORMAL AMOUNT OF JUNE 90 DEGREE DAYS IS 6. "

Excerpted from.
NOAA

Sorry for the caps, that's the way it was posted at the link.

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Yes it is the truth of snow in June... but these pictures are fake... there has only been a little bit of rain this year. But it is true that we've had hail the size of golfballs, not unusual occurrence tho.

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I guess you live in that area, but the report does say that there was hail, I guess last night. I will take off the pictures. It is strange, in the description of the pictures they are named "Denver Hail" and "Denver storm" I will take them off anyways. I can't find pictures of Denver's storm anywhere else.

Do you live in the area where the hail was reported?

Now I can't modify the original post I think, or it will move the thread to another area of the forums. If a mod can be so kind to remove the pictures, thanks.

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I am starting to believe on this weird whether going on, even here in GA the weather has been stormy but not nasty and humid like is usually at this time of the year.

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Hey all,
I live in the Denver metro area. There was a storm last night, and again today. The pictures that were posted in the origional post, are on this website as well. You can also see a picture of the golfball sized hail.

I used to help my dad with castrophy claims adjusting, for an insurance company. Most of the castatrophies we worked on, were either hail like this or hurricans. So I can say for sure, that this is not uncommon. Back in 1991, we worked claims in the same area as the storm that hit last night. The thing that is uncommon, is the frequency of these storms. Two in two days. This is also the first year, we have had a traditional Spring in years.

I read the stats on muaddib's post for the coldest June last year. To be honest I was shocked. I remember asking my wife last year, if we were ever going to have a Spring again, because it was so hot. Yesterday we broke the recorded for that day at 98 degrees. Other then that it has been a much cooler Spring then I can remember in years.

As to the pictures, yes they were taken last night. It says on the video clip at the link provided, that some areas had hail that was 5 ft. deep. You can also see in the video a parking lot full of cars surrounded by hail. When these hail storms hit, it is like it snowed. The amount of hail here though, is unusual. I've seen around 6 inches or so before, but this amount is insane.

As a side note, I went to a Van Halen concert at Fiddler's Green, I believe in August of 1993. Anyways, it was clear and warm before the show. By the end of the show, it had snowed around 6 inches or more of really wet snow. Broke a bunch of tree limbs from the weight, and electrical lines etc.. Talk about freaky weather! Sammy Hagar said we looked like a bunch of Q-tips bouncing around. Probably the most fun I have ever had at a concert. We have a saying here in Colorado. If you don't like the weather, wait a couple of minutes.

www.thedenverchannel.com...

Tom Sawyer

[edit on 9-6-2004 by TomSawyer]

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Thanks for the response Tom, and for pointing that in the link. Looking at the pictures in the link you provided it looks like the hummer was trapped in the hail, and then several people and maybe a snow plow helped in getting the hummer out.

It looked like it was a snow storm and not just hail, wow, I wouldn't want to be trapped on that. You can also see at least one person in there wearing just a regular shirt.

Looking at the other vehicle in those pictures the hail covered the car to the tires. Is that much hail normal in the area?

[edit on 10-6-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Muaddib,
No problem, glad I could help. As far as the amount is concerned. I watched the video clip at the link provided. In the report, they said some places had as much as 5 FEET of hail. That is very unusual. I've seen up to around 6 inches of accumulation, but 5 feet? No way. Before I watched the video clip and heard the report, I figured that a snow plow must have pushed all of that hail up next to the Hummer clearing the streets! Apparently I was wrong myself. That's alot of hail! The storm today was not as big in compairison, from what I have seen. Maybey an inch or two of accumulation. Alot of rain though, with flash flodd warnings etc..

Tom

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Amazing stuff. Last November in Watts, CA they had knee deep hail from a storm.

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 10:32 PM
link   
today we had about four inches of hail in some parts of detroit. it was insane, since it came on so suddenly.

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Those pictures are real. That hailstorm hit in Golden last night (06-08-04). I have lived in Denver most all my life and hailstorms like this come around about every 7 to 9 years. Last big one I remember was in about 97 or so and I remember another big one in 89 or 90. However, it has been so dry for the last 4 years or so here that we all welcome the moisture no matter what form it comes in.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I live about 70 miles west of Denver along the continental divide and the weather up here has been funk-E lately. The worst windstorms and cloud cover I've seen in 5 years. Denver news stations were even reporting hail the size of softballs on last nights news.

new topics

top topics

join