It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moon phases unexpected of late

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I am so all over this moon thingy. I'm gonna check it every night, and you can say gotcha, cause I so wanna see this, I'll chance being gullible.

I'm gonna video it every night I can see it for the next week at least (might as well do something with the dern thing).

Of course, now that it's been mentioned, I'm sure they'll fix it before I get a chance to record anything concrete. :/

Word of caution:

"My current profile" seems to imply that you have more than one?
' I hate to be a bummer, but I believe multiple profiles are against ATS T&C, but it's been awhile and there has been a lot of changing goingz on, so I might be wrong.

Still, S&F for novelty.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   
It seems that many of the responses are delving into the old "This is how science works son" attempt to re-educate mode, and failing to address the key point here, which is:

How do you get two full moons a week apart? Forget what we ought to see happen with the tides and who ought to report it on the news. This is what I have just witnessed. As far as I can tell, there are only two answers, either I and my other family members who also witnessed the full moon last night, are hallucinating or something is going on with how the moon appears from Earth.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by -mytym-
As far as I can tell, there are only two answers, either I and my other family members who also witnessed the full moon last night, are hallucinating or something is going on with how the moon appears from Earth.

There is a third possibility; that there is enough similarity, to the naked eye. between the shape of a full moon and the shape of a three-quarter moon to cause people to jump to hasty conclusions.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
You may be right with the whole profile thing, but I don't really care what ATS thinks. If they want to ban me they can ban me. I won't be losing too much sleep over it.

Originally I was " mytym" without the hyphons years ago, but ATS changed their server or something and I was unable to log in after that, nor was I able to generate a new password. This was the instigating event that lead to the creation of multiple accounts.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by -mytym-

How do you get two full moons a week apart?

You don't.

I've seen the Moon last week when it was full, and yesterday as a waning gibbous. I doubt it was full in between those days... unless it reversed course for a bit, and then decided to return back onto its original orbibal path to where it is today.... which of course is as likely as moon creatures existing.

Whoever thinks they saw it full twice in one week is probably mistaking a waxing gibbous moon whilst it's lower down towards the horizon that appears a little bit bigger due to our perception, and hence looks more like a full moon.

Or they're outright lying, hallucinating, or just don't understand the difference between a 2/3 visible waning gibbous and full moon.

[edit on 3-6-2010 by john124]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Well tonight is supposed to be a half moon, not 3 quarters or 2 thirds or a waning gibbous. Still a big leap in one night don't you think? Hallucinations are a far more likley option than mistaking a 2 thirds moon for a full moon.

The most logical cause of action would be to continue monitoring the appearance of the moon each night for the next week or so as an earlier poster suggested, looking for more inconsistencies. That's exactly what I intend to do.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by -mytym-

Well tonight is supposed to be a half moon,

Actually that's on the 4th - tomorrow for western hemisphere.

stardate.org...

not 3 quarters or 2 thirds or a waning gibbous.

en.wikipedia.org...

Waning gibbous moon, Left 51-99% visible

It's 62% full today, so yes it's waning gibbous, and prior to this approx. 2/3 full.

Still a big leap in one night don't you think?

The phases have been gradual & normal as far as I've seen.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I am also one missing the moon lately. We had a week of storminess, and now I can't stay awake long enough to find it in the sky! I know it is there, but they taught us so badly in school, I have to re educate myself on its rotation. Last nite was clear finally, I was out at 11:30 pm, no moon yet. This happens throughout the year, it just doesn't show for a month or so. Maybe because I am so far north?
, I think I better go google this

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by speaker

Well i've got no idea what you were looking at last night but the Moon was NOT full when I saw it.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by DISRAELI

Originally posted by letthereaderunderstand
If you were a child and knew nothing of "science" what would your explanation of the tides be?

I would not want to be a child knowing nothing of science, and I sincerely hope that the world does not revert to that state.

I can appreciate that and I'm not stating that the tides aren't controlled by the moon, I was just curious as to what your answer was.

Perhaps the obvious answers are often overlooked. I don't see the moon go around the earth twice in one day, yet the tides come and go twice a day.

Or why don't the water tables rise and fall by 10 or 12 feet a day making the ground swell then shrink.

Is there any evidence that lakes rise or fall, I mean, wouldn't water behave in uniform. I know there is a big difference between salt and fresh, but shouldn't H2O behave the same no matter what. If it is gravity, that is attracting the water via the moon, then all water should behave the same from a bowl of water to an ocean, yet this isn't the case.

It isn't called the "Theory of Tides" for no reason. It is a theory, one that leaves many questions unanswered.

Anyway, thanks for your reply.

Peace

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I was working 12-6 am shift that night and go out for a cig every hr or so and the moon was far from full ,,,I would say 60% but no where near full...

Can I have some of what you are on ...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join