It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guns or No Guns?? Your views.

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by RedmoonMWC

But the examples you have given in the USA are in states where it was common place to carry arms and then enforcing increased gun control.
It is part of the USA's psyche.

Completely different scenario in the UK so the comparison is negated.

As for Australia, I am sure there are far more qualified members than me however, I think a lot of them will say that the increase is moredue to social changes within Australian society, but I could well be wrong.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by harryhaller

RIGHT on the MARK!!! Absolutely correct!! It is NOT "guns"- PEOPLE are what is dangerous. A firearm, allows someone, to DIRECT their rage, at specific targets. I have advanced degrees in Bio-chemistry. I own over 100 firearms. Telling me, I need a gun, to be a "public threat", is an insult to my intelligence. For $100, and a week in my lab, I could cook-up some NASTY stuff! I could poison/infect, a CITY.
"The war on Terror"- what a joke!! It is a war on personal freedom!
BTW- I could make safe, inexpensive single-shot "pen-guns", for $10/ea, in my shop, using short barrel scraps.
Get this straight- BAD paeple, WILL ALWAYS HAVE GUNS. That is a fact. Do YOU want to be a helpless victim? I sure as hell don't.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX
I'm for guns.

I used to own a handgun until the Dunblane tragedy, and enjoyed many years of shooting before that both in the forces and civvy street.

None of the thousands of fellow gun owners i knew ever did anything like this.

Whether it's guns, knives or whatever else anyone goes on a killing spree with next, it just ends up that in 99.99999999% of the time, the bad guys end up with the guns and the law abiding enthusiasts like myself get shafted.

I'm not saying i'd agree with laws as relaxed as some parts of other countries, then again i hear other areas have very tight gun controls.

All i know is that most of the gun owners i know and have ever met are the most responsible people in the world.

CX.

The logic of that situation would dictate that the higher the gun ownership there would be no change in the level of gun crime. we all know fine well that the 6 highest gun owning countries are also the 6 highest gun crime countries.

DUH......DUH.......DUH

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
It is absolutely nobody's responsibility but your own to take care of yourself. When the SHTF there's not going to be 911 to call and have police show up in record time, it is going to be up to you and nobody else.

Cheers!

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
The political situation in the US is such that a law banning private ownership of guns has no chance of succeeding--at least in the foreseeable future.

However, in the event of a national emergency, where people are rioting in the streets and engaging in wholescale lawlessness, you can bet your bottom dollar that they will do a street by street, house by house, gun confiscation...and they dont need a law to do so, it is already on the books under the many Executive Orders pertaining to Martial Law.

In fact, they have already done this. They did it in the aftermath of Katrina. (I live in Louisiana near New Orleans). The national guard and police did a street by street, house by house, gun confiscation. If you resisted, and refused to allow them to search your house, you were arrested on the spot, including little old ladies.

In my view this was a test run to determine how both sides, the military/police and the civilians would respond in a more dire Martial Law situation. The fact is that it went rather smoothly. The officers did not rebell against the idea. They simply followed orders as they were trained to do, and the civilians cooperated with the authorities, with only a few isolated cases of resistance.

This, my friends, is how it will go down. And even if you say: "over my dead body", I would like to see how you actually respond when a group of heavily armed officers, dressed in riot gear, show up at your front door and demand to search your house for guns. In all likelihood, you will cave just like the citizens of New Orleans--or face dire consequences.

Gun registration merely lets the government know who and where to search when the time comes. There will be no confiscation or ban of guns until Martial Law is imposed, and then you can be certain of it.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
My take is this.
Law makers create laws that restrict gun ownership. This effects law abiding citizens. It doesn't effect criminals. They are breaking the law anyways, what's one more broken law? Besides, a weapon-less society is easy pickings.

I hear the solution is more cops, more cops. Ladies and Gentlemen, the police are reactionary at best and at best they are 5 minutes from when you need them. So in the 5 minutes that you are waiting on them, a criminal can kill everyone in your house. Time it, go ahead, 5 minutes is an eternity if you're in danger.

Even if you don't believe in taking someones life, the sound of a 12 gauge racking a round into the chamber will make anyone in the dark fill up their shorts.

Yes, guns are used in countless crimes world wide, but so are cars, knives, axes, antifreeze, aspirin, coc aine, heroine, meth, screwdrivers, sex toys and gentiles (rape) Man (Human) is sadistic and will use anything at his disposal to kill. Take a look at gun un-friendly countries. I'll point you to China where gun ownership is forbidden... they still have massacres.

I was raised around guns, I hunted at an early age, I was made to respect firearms and I have an undying faith in our Constitution and I feel that like it or not our founders wanted to provide us with a means to protect ourselves that wasn't the army.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I lived for most of my life in Sunny South Africa...

Johannesburg became the most violent city in the world that was not at war...

Gun culture is rife.....

I left, choosing to leave than carry a gun which, often was the case, would be used on the owner .

i live in Australia....love it...we are safe, and free.
I dont need attack- trained Shepards, or an enormous wall around my property...half my street in SA had electric fencing around....all because of guns...

I respect other views here.....but , not reading thru the pages yet, was wondering if anyone had used that old cliche about prising someone's gun from their cold, dead hands...??

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 04:05 AM
link   
I just don't understand the pro gun arguaments sometimes....

They say that making guns illegal means that only criminals and police have them.
Well this is true, but we live on an island (as so many of you posters are keen to point out), and since they are illegal the flow of guns to said criminals is severely curbed.
Surely if guns were legal, it would be eaasier for them to geet them?
This is the main one that I just cannot get my head around, how do the pro gun lobby make the afore mentioned arguament and not concede this point.
You get searched pretty much every time you enter the UK, Customs and Excise is a huge concern here, because the government makes such a huge amount off us they are reluctant t let any penny slip through they're hands.
Not saying it desn't prevent any form of smuggling (Because it blatantly doesn't), but it is ALOT harder here than it is in a country connnected to the rest of the continent.

Also, because the laws are so severe over here, criminals KNOW that any crimes involving a gun will carry a harsher sentance if they do use them.
You're never going t be able to stop guns coming into the country, but you can make it a less tempting prospect (Also the fact that police over here will shoot first if there is a gun involved and ask questions latter, they are actually immune to any kind of disciplinary actions due to the fact that if one armed officer is prosecuted for missuse of a fire arm in an operation, all armed police in the country will strike. In the town I live in an unarmed naked man was shot to death in his bed by police a few years ago, and no one was given so much as a stern word).

As far as Im aware the shooter this month had a gun license as well?

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj
reply to post by Freeborn

We did land on Okinawa to my knowledge. I don't know if you consider that a main island, but I do.. and I'd guess the japanese would too.

Actually this is a very interesting point, Okinawa is not actually a native part of Japan.
If you look on the map its miles away they were a completly different culture (And to this day have a very distinct regional accent), and used to serve as a client state for the chinese empire in earlier times, being a convienient stopping point on long trading voyages.

When the Americans appeared to break the Japanese trade embargo only one person on the isle of Okinawa spoke English, and the Japanese were able to effectivly claim that it had always been part of Japan, and take control. (the one a couple of hundred years ago)

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by MaxSteiner

There's another island, much smaller, with a gun ban: Jamaica.

Isnt doing them very much good. A war is being fought in the streets with banned guns.

If some lunatic wants to flood your island with rocket launchers and machine guns he will. Nothing is going to stop him. Just be glad your island has nothing anybody wants.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
All I have to say is this:
1. God given right to live.
2. Right to protect my life by any means necesary.
3. History repeats its self, Pol Pot, Hitler, etc. An unarmed country of people is a country of sheeple.
4. As long as criminals can posses guns, illegally or not, I will do the same.
5. It is better to have a gun and never need it than to need one and not have one.
6. It is better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.
7. My right to bare arms.
8. You'll find that utopian society listed under fairy tales.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrispyB
All I have to say is this:
1. God given right to live.
2. Right to protect my life by any means necesary.
3. History repeats its self, Pol Pot, Hitler, etc. An unarmed country of people is a country of sheeple.
4. As long as criminals can posses guns, illegally or not, I will do the same.
5. It is better to have a gun and never need it than to need one and not have one.
6. It is better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.
7. My right to bare arms.
8. You'll find that utopian society listed under fairy tales.

Don't forget: "When seconds count, the police are just minutes away."

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
In the United States the subject of guns is not even an issue it's an inherited right from the second amendment. This right was given to us to keep the government in line, and to protect our country in whole. To say" if we just mad guns illegal violence would decline in the U.S." is a ridiculous notion. If bad people want to hurt people they are going to do it any way possible whether it be with a gun, knife, baseball bat, axe, sword whatever they can get their hands on to intimidate you ,that's what they're going to use.

In my opinion humans don't and really haven't evolved mentally when it comes to anger and violence. We are a selfish and cruel creature that wants what we want. The utopian Idea of destroying all the weapons on earth, and all of us banning together will never happen. We are never going to get there I'm sorry if that sounds cynical but it's true. Because there's always going to be another crazy guy out there that can rally people into thinking he's god or something and making his own evil little army.

Besides let's look at what the UK has turned into over the last 10 years. They are one of the most "secure" countries in the world with surveillance around every corner. I mean really would you like it if the government was watching you every second of the day, next they will be putting cameras in their Homes " if you're not doing anything wrong why worry" I'm worried because who's to say what I'm doing is right or wrong.
This is not what I want for me or my family 911 can only go so far. This whole stupid ideal of the government can/ should take care of you in every way (socialized health care, security, unemployment, our educate) only goes so far, if a man breaks into your house and tries to hurt your family are you going to call the police and rely on them to make it there fast enough or are you going to realize that your family is your responsibility and it's time to man up and take care of them.

You peace loving individuals need to realize that the only reason why there's peace is that there was once a guy who stood in your spot and took that place you're standing in with force. Then defended it against anyone who tried to take it. This time of peace Americans have had is unnatural and has never before been seen in history, societies have always had civil wars, wars brought upon them and so on. So don't get used to it cause every day it seems like the pot is getting hotter and hotter soon it's going to boil over, and you better be ready for it cause you have one of two options run and hide then be killed or stay and fight and have a chance. I myself would like to be ready for a situation like this to and that is why I own a gun.

Wow that was a long rant. lol

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Ditto!

[edit on 10-6-2010 by KrispyB]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
well, i don't think it would have stopped it from happening if brits could own handguns, but i think maybe if they did it would have ended sooner or possibly not happened at all, well if it was a sane man he may think that if other people have guns, then he probably won't be successful, but this man obviously is not of sound mind. i come from oklahoma and have handled guns my entire life. i do think allowing the general public to own guns works as a detterent to an extent, not unlike having nuclear weapons, as in you don't intend to use them, but having them makes others think twice about using theirs. the same could go with public excecutions, i'm not saying we should have them, but something like that may actually lower crime, oh well, i've said my piece.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Hello,

Here are my views on guns:

What is your objective for having a gun? Are you afraid of losing material possessions?

We try to defend ourselves, but what are we defending? It just seems as we stock ourselves up more and more with material items, losing sense in what matters most (the self, beyond the physical realm).

Sure anyone can have a gun I suppose, but not me. I am certain that I would do far more damage to myself and potentially(there are so many recorded accidents that have happened as results of firearms being in homes) the ones around me.

But that is my perspective, and I can fully understand why people decide to own guns. Though I am apprehensive of people who tout gun possession for worries about an apocalyptic scenario. Do you really think a gun will protect you from the inevitable for very long? I can't imagine so, unless you're living in the most fortified (costing hundreds of thousands), means of sustainable living(acres and acres of agriculture), and enough supplies to exist.

Sorry.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
So we've all concluded and to sum it up...

Guns!

Foreigners can keep their oppression.

To the spineless here at home, you are welcome. And I sure hope your neighbor will bail your sorry ass out.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by SULRETAL

Pathetic.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Paschar0

Ditto & applause! Nicely said. Now I just want to say when a person goes on trial in the U.S. for murder with a weapon, any weapon.... It's the person on trial... not the inanimate object. Does that still hold true in the UK and other countries or do they put the weapon in prison or in the gas chamber?

[edit on 16-6-2010 by KrispyB]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by jeh2324
So we've all concluded and to sum it up...

Guns!

Foreigners can keep their oppression.

To the spineless here at home, you are welcome. And I sure hope your neighbor will bail your sorry ass out.

No.... we summed it up by concluding that guns do not solve or stop violent gun crime.

It is not oppression.... we just don't want guns here.

We decided that it was good that you guys had guns and you can keep them over there.... but we here in the UK neither want nor need guns and If you'd read the thread you'd have probably seen that.

Cheers.

[edit on 21/6/10 by blupblup]

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19 >>

join