It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guns or No Guns?? Your views.

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

Originally posted by mamabeth
reply to post by blupblup

Our nations are clearly fundamentally different.

You think carrying guns solves problems, we think carrying guns creates them...

[edit on 3/6/10 by blupblup]

I think that explains it better than anything,well done!

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

I agree man... opinions may differ drastically and people may think the others are crazy and "sheep" and everything else, but we're all adults on this thread... no petty name calling and no warnings or anything.

Way to go peeps.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by noangels

I know.... It really is that simple and that's what it ultimately boils down to.

Guns are either the issue or the solution.

Thanks

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

Never see riots in the USA, of any kind.

Think I recall a couple over the Rodney King affair and some looting during Hurricane Katrina.
But no real riots like the Poll Tax or the G8 riots.
Even we Brits seem to riot more than you.

Don't know if that is because they simply don't occur or because they don't get reported.

If guns had been readily available then they would definately been used during The Poll Tax riot, that really was on top and I think passions were so high that they also would have been used during the 1981 riots in Toxteth, Brixton, Handsworth etc.

And please, it's not meant as acriticism of the US, just an observation.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
The reason it is so bad here in the US is a lack of education on guns. Even further are the people who think Gun+Me=I AM A MAN logic. I am for guns but when a bunch of uneducated pricks get their hands on them, legally or illegally, all hell breaks loose.

I think what the US needs to do is educate people so those law abiding citizens who have them will, well, shoot those criminals. Look at Texas. Large gun-owning population, little gun crime, but they are generally more gun wise (of corse we all know, if you are American, the stereotypes we have of Texas).

Hilarious example of having guns for defence
www.msnbc.msn.com...

you gun lovers are going to love this kid...
www.youtube.com...

this is my rebuttal to any ban all guns advocates, as seen on this video

Do you understand that banning guns will not work? It will be like prohibition. The guns will not just disappear. Crack is illegal and did it disappear?

guns have never saved anyones life? So every single person who ever fired a gun at someone else did it out of intentional murder and NOT ONCE self defense!!! Do you know how many guns will be out there? They cannot get rid of them all. Law abiding citizens will not be able to defend themselves! Police on every street corner?...
fonkymaster

Do you know that police behave amazingly inefficiently? sure you can dial 911, but the CSI teams aren't going to like cleaning up your splattered brains. And even then police commit crimes too. When they commit crimes, what do we do then? Have you ever heard of Bernard Goetz? Oh that's right, no one has ever defended themselves with weapons.

I mean seriously, the US Government sent SPECIAL FORCES during the height of the War on Drugs, SPEC OPS and THEY COULD NOT STOP THE DRUGS!!!!

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
It's very easy- criminals, will ALWAYS have guns. You have a CHANCE at FREEDOM, when the average person, ALSO has one. I am an NRA trained instructor. In ONE afternoon, I can teach any NORMAL person, the basic safety lessons, PLUS how to accurately shoot and safely handle a handgun, rifle, or shotgun. Sam Colt, called his invention, "The Equalizer", for a reason.
I have legally carried a handgun, most of my adult life. On TWO seperate occassions, having a gun, prevented me (and once, my partner also), from being raped, and probably murdered. One of those (serial) rapists, will NEVER rape another woman, thanks to me. After our "encounter", I was told by THREE other women in the neighborhood, that THAT punk, had raped, and threatened them. THEY were afraid to go to the police- their family had been threatened, if the woman made a complaint. MY refusal to be a compliant victim, ended his reign of terror. I pray he burns in hell, forever.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
guns, we all have the right to defend ourselves. guns dont kill people, people do...

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I agree with many of what you said about defending...but I don't want to walk around in McDonalds with someone threatening me to give them my stuff, with a gun at my face.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

This is one of the more enjoyable threads I've had the pleasure to partake in... Even the "Crazies" and the "Sheep" can get along

Thanks for starting it blupblup , Kudos to you too Freeborn ... I'm starting to finally "Get" your viewpoints.

As for me , I'm off to clean my Mossberg 500 , ... There were a few paper targets down by the range that have been taunting me & It's time to get even.

Here's a few of my Tools ... If either of you gents happen to cross the pond and be in my area , I'd Gladly host a range day where you could put a few rounds downrange.

Cheers

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/52a02183bb66c534.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by EyesWideShut
Here's a few of my Tools ... If either of you gents happen to cross the pond and be in my area , I'd Gladly host a range day where you could put a few rounds downrange.

Cheers

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/52a02183bb66c534.jpg[/atsimg]

Well as soon as the world is out of financial ruin, I may well have a holiday... I damn well deserve one.

You never know... I may just take you up on that offer

Nearly joined the rifle range in my town when I was 16, have a good eye and would be keen to have a go for sure.

Thanks for your contributions too my friend.

[edit on 3/6/10 by blupblup]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by EyesWideShut

If I am ever in the vicinity I will hold you to that.

I have enjoyed you and thisguyrighthere's contributions, thank you.

And if you ever venture over here I'm sure between me and blup we'll be able to show you a night out or two in good ol' blighty.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I think it is important to realise, and this is somewhat misunderstood on BOTH sides of the deep blue sea, is that despite speaking the same language, looking similar and having similar names, the two cultures of GB and the US had a rather radical split about 300 years ago, and despite both coming from the same root have since splintered drastically from each other.

We are often lulled into a false comfort with the other culture. We share a modern popular culture, and have done since the 60s (you gave us Elvis, we gave you the Beatles) but the traditions, ethos and national psyche are mainly different.

It is for this reason that an American is baffled by the British reluctance to be armed, and the British are perplexed by the American cult of the gun.

Despite a minority on either side sympathising with the other, the two view points will never be swapped. American will never disarm, and i wouldn't want you to for a single second, but likewise we will never see mass ownership of guns in the UK.

On a personal note, i actually believe that the shotgun certificate in this country should be relaxed. Not done away with all together, but relaxed so that if you want a shotgun, and think it would make you more secure, then you are within your rights to obtain that. If this were the case, i genuinely believe that the numbers of shotgun owners would only rise slightly on what they are now. Our people do not fetishise the gun.

However i see no scope for handguns in our society, nor concealed carry permits either. A shotgun in the home is fine, a handgun in the pub is not something i would wish to see.

A quote from the author A.A Gill on the English disposition (sorry Scotland, Wales and NI!)

The reason the English disband their forces with reckless haste after wars, why they won’t allow their soldiers to walk around in uniform, why there is so little state-sponsored glorification of battle, is because they know where it leads. Far better to do the business as brutally and efficiently as possible and then get back to whatever you were doing before, as fast as is decent."

Therefore America, i emplore you to keep your guns, but forgive us if we don't share your enthusiasm. We wont call you gun totin' hicks, if you don't call us subjects of tyranny. Because you're not, and neither are we.

We will never agree on this, just like we will never agree on football, so let's just have a cup of tea and laugh at Monty Python movies

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by CRB86
Therefore America, i emplore you to keep your guns, but forgive us if we don't share your enthusiasm. We wont call you gun totin' hicks, if you don't call us subjects of tyranny. Because you're not, and neither are we.

We will never agree on this, just like we will never agree on football, so let's just have a cup of tea and laugh at Monty Python movies

Excellent post mate, very well said.
We'll all just agree to disagree but respect each other's position.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by CRB86

Your entire post was great, but I especially liked this part......

We should all respect each other's personal choices on this matter.

To the Monty Python movies, but can we drink something other than tea

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Simple solution to this problem:

Arm EVERYONE!!!!

My reasoning behind this madness goes as follows:
Every criminal will be lest apt to commit crimes (at least against other people) due to the fact that they KNOW everyone is armed. Secondly, all the idiots whom aren't stopped by this fact will probably end up shooting each other, leaving behind the peaceful people who didn't use theirs.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
My only purpose for a firearm is home security, I'm not taking any chances with a crackhead looking to kill or harm my family. Not that it's only crackheads that break into houses but you know what I mean. I also agree with many posters here that disarming the populace empowers the thieves, murderers etc. who will just find what they need on the black market.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I live in a rural county in NC. We literally have more guns than people here. In fact, most homes have more guns than people. Based on the gun banners argument, we should be facing wholesale slaughter here...

but, we are not. Every once in a while, someone is killed in a drug deal gone bad.... but that's it. No mayhem, no carnage in the streets. Heck, we don't even lock our doors except when we leave to go to work.

Around here, it is understood, that after dark...you better let someone know you are coming to see them and visit...otherwise, you might get shot.

Like a tool box, we have different guns for different purposes. I have a shot gun on the truck incase I run across a snake while working on the farm... or see a coyote around my livestock. We have guns for hunting and sporting. And then we have guns for killing and defending our families and home.

5 minutes is not a long time, but when someone is tearing down your door, and you've dialed 911...5 minutes is about the time before a sheriff can get there...maybe 10 minutes.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Easy. NO guns! should be fists and swords only, that would sort the men out.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
reply to post by Miraj

Never see riots in the USA, of any kind.

Think I recall a couple over the Rodney King affair and some looting during Hurricane Katrina.
But no real riots like the Poll Tax or the G8 riots.
Even we Brits seem to riot more than you.

Don't know if that is because they simply don't occur or because they don't get reported.

If guns had been readily available then they would definately been used during The Poll Tax riot, that really was on top and I think passions were so high that they also would have been used during the 1981 riots in Toxteth, Brixton, Handsworth etc.

And please, it's not meant as acriticism of the US, just an observation.

I always had this thought that if we went to war with let’s say Russia and 10,000 paratroopers dropped into many cities they would be screwed long before the Army got there.

Today the police have about a 10 min response time, and I have about 20 seconds response so that to me makes them worth it for the once in a lifetime event that would ruin my life.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Just my 2 cents worth and I apologise if i missed a post that raised this already.
But if the villages and towns that the Taxi driver killed people in had contained guns perhaps he would have been shot before he slaughtered the unarmed?
To rely on the Authorities to save you is a bit naive?
I think some people who say guns should be banned for law abiding folk have never thought about a scenario where their kin are threatened?

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join