It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michio Kaku : oil could gush from the leaking BP deepwater well for years

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by 535cataclysm

actually hemp products are already legal.

its the producing it here(in the us) part people cant seem to figure out.

the price difference is what makes or breaks the 2, importing hemp for bio-deisel isn't economically practical, therefor everybody is forced to use petrol.

performance-wise petrol doesnt even compare to bio. bypassing the carbon tax's on production alone would make it worth it. if it were allowed to be grown here (we're the only industrialized nation that cant..) there would be no use for petrol.

not to mention when your growing something there is an unlimited supply....whereas pumping it from the ground...you tend to run out.

so no matter what, eventually the world will be forced to go to hemp if they want to keep burning oil. either that or go to alternatives like solar (which you already stated "sucks")

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickyrrr

I second that. While this is a horrible tragedy, I think it is terribly hypocritical of people to blame the oil producers, as if they were holding a gun to your head to force you to drive and consume products that are dependent on oil. You CAN in fact give it up, go live in the woods and eat berries, or you can own your part of the blame as we all should.

-rrr

Or we can be angry at oil companies, who have been PROVEN to be withholding technology that would make more efficient cars, plastics, etc.

They know that oil regenerates (albeit slowly) and they can milk us out for a LOOOONG time. There is more than enough oil for all of us to live like kings, with modern inventions and technology EVERYWHERE on Earth, for a fraction of what we have been charged. Our money and wealth, our birthright of resources, our very Earth has been stolen from all of us and put in the hands of a few.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
What the OP says reminds me of the "exodus" linguistics the Webbots were talking about last year.

Second line.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Whats wrong with you people, Michio Kaku really!!!what expertise does he have in the gulf oil leak. Let alone a huricane senario.

Just like his speculations on the universe which are unfonded and only given on his academic standing. James Careron is another one.

Maybe we should consult Al Gore, Dick Chenney, Nancy Pelosi. This oil leak goes beyond all the experts. As BP goes thru the motion to let you believe that it wants to stop the leak, there only goal is to keep the oil flowing eventually to recover this well.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Reply to Knuckles:

Doesn't stop him from being an establishment shill and a TWAT just because you don't appreciate my use of that particular word. And NO in my chosen field he could not run cicles around me, nor I suspect any field to which neither of us are experts. Don't project your intellectual inferiority complex onto me, it doesn't fit.

There was a time when Kaku could be trusted and relied upon, but alas just as Sagan before him, Kaku became a celebrity. I would only trust his opinion in regards to the drilling of oil as much as I would my neighbour, my pub landlord or my local clergyman.

The leak could go on for years but not because Kaku said so. His opinion adds nothing to the debate, and nor should it. It is no more valid than that of any other reasonably intelligent human being. People commenting outside their field should be shown no more deference than you or I. By ignoring this fact you are behaving exactly as TPTB want you to. Accept no ones opinion as fact whether celebrity, scientist, politician or beauty queen.

And finally twat twat twat twat twat I just love that word. Sorry if that irks you. On second thoughts...no I'm not.

Oops edit to add who I was replying to. Big fingers and iPods do not marry well for net use.

[edit on 3-6-2010 by spookfish]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
reply to post by saabacura

Hmmm no. If Obama was honest, he could have said day one, we legalize hemp and we use the stimulus money to build an entire industry out of it. Force all news cars starting in 2010 to have diesel engines.

With hemp, you can produce biodiesel, which replaces oil, you can produce plastic, clothes, everything oil does, BUT IT'S NOT TOXIC and you don't have to drill it off the coast.

The transition would have taken years, but in the end, America would be self-sufficient energy wise and there would be way less pollution. Oil corporations would get out of America... people would have jobs, US oil money wouldn't go to the middle-east to fund dictatorships.

Obama said he was a man with vision and with ambitions for America and for change. Give me a break, he's a big fat stinking liar like Bush was.

It would be WIN WIN WIN... but guess what, Obama is a sell out to BP, he received twenty times the money any president ever did from them.

[edit on 3-6-2010 by Vitchilo]

Don't get me wrong, I agree with your statement, but why is it that we are not using it already, if it is so great? And why is no other developed nation? Or is there a world class or any class nation, using hemp productively with good results?

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   

reply to post by saabacura

Obama is a sell out to BP, he received twenty times the money any president ever did from them.

That's a bold statement. Can you back that up? Do you mean campaign contributions? And if so, how do they compare to Bush's?

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by sierrawatch
Whats wrong with you people, Michio Kaku really!!!what expertise does he have in the gulf oil leak. Let alone a huricane senario.

Just like his speculations on the universe which are unfonded and only given on his academic standing. James Careron is another one.

Maybe we should consult Al Gore, Dick Chenney, Nancy Pelosi. This oil leak goes beyond all the experts. As BP goes thru the motion to let you believe that it wants to stop the leak, there only goal is to keep the oil flowing eventually to recover this well.

Hmmm, I think you miss read the article there hero.

He's not an oil expert all that he's saying is that they tried 6 times to fix the problem and if the 7th time it fails then they gonna drill. Hurricane season is UP and It's going to be until August to complete drilling(it dont happen magically). HE ALSO POINTED OUT that you have a higher chance of wining a lottery than drilling PERFECT the 1st time(But it could Happen).

Bottom line I believe the man definitely has a higher I.Q than you and has more expertise in Oil theory.

[edit on 3-6-2010 by magestyk7]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Sounds like you folks don't live ont he gulf coast, so you have not a clue what its like to go through a hurricane or tropical storm. Ive been through 15 hurricanes, and countless tropical storms. Lots of wind, rain, big waves, the power goes out. You have to boil your water cause the sewage treatment plant always gets flooded out. But were hearty folks down here on the gulf coast. Only newbs and tourists pack up there things and run for the hills. Bunch of whimps. I'm the guy out there surfing the waves, its always awesome. The thing is if you've thought ahead and prepared, theres no reason for a mass exodus. In the past hundreds of thosands if not millions of folk have been caught on interstate hwy and have to ride out the storms out in the open. I'll pass on that idea. Folks around here know that when the winds get over 60 MPH the power uplink stations will begin to shut down. Thats when you throw a lever and you switch from normal electricity to backup gas \whole house generator system. Course you have to BUY this ahead of time. So the power doesn't go out. Its always good to have an old fashion land line, so when the cell towers go offline, you still have the ability to make calls. Ive got 2 years of MRE's and other things put away for hurricane season. I also have full set of body armor, gas mask, combat shotgun, steel storm shutters. And solar cells to be put up after a storm cause it usualy takes the power company 2 to 3 weeks to get power flowing again. As for finding gas statgions open with gas, or the ability to pump it. Not a problem if you think ahead. Four years ago I took my car engine out and replaced it with a generator. I don't use gas or oil anymore. I run lithium batteries, I can plug it in at night, or use the solar cells on the hood, roof and trunk.

As for the red goo washing up on my white sandy beaches.....will get through this also. One just has to be of hardy stock, and plan ahead for difficulties...

Course Id still like to kick BP's CEO int he ball sack repeatedly..
but thats just me.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   

I think this just add to the speculations that the Southern US will be evacuated. We're just one gulf hurricane away from that.

14 million people live directly on those shores... and if big hurricanes transport that oil more inland, we could talk about even more displaced...

That would be the biggest displacement of population IN HISTORY.

How convenient that just last year there was an NLE titled "mass migration". More and more this is sounding like a contrived Hollywood script. I don't think this is any accident.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by sierrawatch

I fear we are in a minority, even here on ATS supposedly the least ignorant place on the net. I think it's time we called on Mike Tyson, Prince Charles, or Rocketman for their expert opinions.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Nice. I posted this here yesterday and got almost no response. You post it 24 hours after I do and it makes the front page.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by LurkerMan

All i am saying is that if you look...and REALLY LOOK into alternative energy you will see it doesnt help our mother earth, or anything else for that matter. Like the windmills for power...well lets see you want to spend a day at the beach but you cant enjoy it because there are huge windmills there and in the ocean they are also littering the open planes, etc etc...where do they get the steel and other materials to make the windmills? Fossil fuels....Solar energy...i will try to find the source for you but i read that you would need to have a place about the size of Utah (or something) to have enough space for all the panels it would take to provide energy for a fraction of the country. I am not all about fossil fuels and oil but as of right now its the best we have. Hemp may be a good alternative but when you say something like that to the masses of people they turn away because of the bad name its gotten due to stupid gang bangers and hippies. I know hemp itself isnt anything bad....but its gotta come from a certain plant and that plant would cause a lot of problems. Instead of environmental disaster and oil spills you would have gangs trying to kill and rob everyone at the Cannibus farm or things of that nature.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by spookfish

Hey Spookfish, I am with you. First thing I did was google this guys and go, WTF? He's a physicist? What does he know about this?

Sure, I highly doubt they will get either of those relief holes drilled successfully by August. Heck I doubt they get to the point where either even fails by September or October.

Storm season, and the fact that the last time this happened in the Gulf it took like 9 months to fix something at a couple hundred feet speak to that.

Could it go on for years? Sure. Does this guy have any more insight than the rest of us. Doubtful at best.

Cheers

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
In the end, I do hope something good comes out of this. For instance, maybe we could see that our greediness will destroy us, and everything around us if we dont change.
I just wish that the nature can survive our stupidity.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

... they should have closed this thread, problem is that no one saw it who knows

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by saabacura
reply to post by rajaten

yo dude,

don't blame this accident on this anonymoly. You need oil.
The oil mobilezes your car.
It runs your electricity.
Plastics, everyday use, made from oil....

We are not addicted to oil, we are dependent on it.

"Oil" can be found from many different types of plants, with far less harm to the environment, not to mention it is very renewable. Two types to start your research off with are Rapeseed (also known as rape, oilseed rape, rapa, rappi) and Hemp. So no, we are not dependent on "black oil", we have just been led to believe we are.

Think outside the box.

Deny Ignorance

Harm None
Peace

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by rajaten

Obama could disclose 200,000 free energy sources tomorrow and it still wouldn't change the fact that until they develop to the point where they can be produced as easily and efficiently (current nightmarish scenario not withstanding) as oil, they would not be a feasible energy alternative. Remember the biofuel experiment a couple of years ago? Where half the U.S. corn crop was diverted to the production of biodiesel?

It was an unmitigated disaster. It was cost-prohibitive to refine, too expensive to retrofit cars for and raised the price of corn by 50% - at the beginning of a recession.

I would love nothing more than to relinquish all need for oil. However, until such a time comes when alternative fuels can be made practical and don't require more of an investment to use than to create, we're stuck with it sadly.

Besides, it's not the need for oil that created this disaster. It was the circumvention of industry regulations in the Gulf of Mexico. Take a good hard look at the highly regulated rigs off of Norway and Denmark, then tell me this wasn't preventable without blaming those that need oil to get to work in the morning.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Um I understand that Michio is very accredited and famous in the field of physics. But can someone please tell me why we've become reliant on his word as a sure thing??? I mean being smart doesn't make you right, infact it doesn't even do the subject justice because something like this hasn't happened before at the scale there talking. So in fact Michio is working off theory, thats it, theory. He also said he thinks theres something to whats going to happen in 2012, although he explained it "scientifically" he lost alot of credibility then; at least in my eyes. Take everything with a grain of salt and if all else fails nuke the god damn well.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eye of Horus
Sounds like you folks don't live ont he gulf coast, so you have not a clue what its like to go through a hurricane or tropical storm. Ive been through 15 hurricanes, and countless tropical storms. Lots of wind, rain, big waves, the power goes out. You have to boil your water cause the sewage treatment plant always gets flooded out. But were hearty folks down here on the gulf coast. Only newbs and tourists pack up there things and run for the hills. Bunch of whimps. I'm the guy out there surfing the waves, its always awesome. The thing is if you've thought ahead and prepared, theres no reason for a mass exodus. In the past hundreds of thosands if not millions of folk have been caught on interstate hwy and have to ride out the storms out in the open. I'll pass on that idea. Folks around here know that when the winds get over 60 MPH the power uplink stations will begin to shut down. Thats when you throw a lever and you switch from normal electricity to backup gas \whole house generator system. Course you have to BUY this ahead of time. So the power doesn't go out. Its always good to have an old fashion land line, so when the cell towers go offline, you still have the ability to make calls. Ive got 2 years of MRE's and other things put away for hurricane season. I also have full set of body armor, gas mask, combat shotgun, steel storm shutters. And solar cells to be put up after a storm cause it usualy takes the power company 2 to 3 weeks to get power flowing again. As for finding gas statgions open with gas, or the ability to pump it. Not a problem if you think ahead. Four years ago I took my car engine out and replaced it with a generator. I don't use gas or oil anymore. I run lithium batteries, I can plug it in at night, or use the solar cells on the hood, roof and trunk.

As for the red goo washing up on my white sandy beaches.....will get through this also. One just has to be of hardy stock, and plan ahead for difficulties...

Course Id still like to kick BP's CEO int he ball sack repeatedly..
but thats just me.

Could you please post a picture of the outside and inside of this car of yours, as well as your body armor and weapons? Not only am I curious, but this sounds more like fantasy to me than reality since most people on here are all talk and no action. If you are telling the truth and can prove it, I will certainly commend you for it.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join