It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gallup Poll shows largest Republican lead in history

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:54 AM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

With five months to go before the general election, a new poll finds that Republicans have opened their widest lead yet when it comes to which party voters prefer this fall. Gallup's generic congressional ballot finds that the number of voters who say they will vote GOP has jumped to 49 percent, compared with 43 percent for Democrats. That's not only the biggest lead Gallup has recorded for the GOP this election cycle, it's the largest lead Republicans have ever had in the poll, which Gallup has run since 1950.

Why are Republicans surging?

According to Gallup, the GOP gained 3 percentage points in the poll over the last week, while Dems fell 4 points. All of this happened as President Obama's approval rating took a hit, especially with his handling of the Gulf of Mexico oil spill. Gallup puts Obama's approval rating at 46 percent — not exactly in George W. Bush territory, but low for this White House.

No doubt critics will question how much a generic poll really reveals about what might happen in November. After all, it's often better to break down races locally for a more comprehensive picture of how the midterm elections might go. But generic ballots are very good at telling us where voter sentiment is nationally and how enthusiastic people are — or aren't — about the political parties.

One number that Democrats are surely not pleased about is what poll experts call the "enthusiasm" gap. According to Gallup, 39 percent of Republicans are excited about the 2010 elections, compared with just 24 percent of Democrats. That's one of the leading measures of how likely it is that voters will turn out to vote, and if Democrats can't find a way to close that 15-point gap, November could be a painful month for President Obama and other party leaders.

IMO I definitly prefer the lesser of the two evil, i.e. Democrats, to control the Congress. But if the people speak and they want the Republicans back then so be it. Nothing will change, but I truly believe they are now commited to small government economics, but have turned hard-right on the social issues. They still want to take away our privacy and they now want to give our Social Security and Medicare/Medicaid over to Wall Street.

I wonder how much people will like that?

[edit on 6/3/10 by Misoir]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Personal political leanings aside, I think it would be a very healthy thing at this point to have a strongly Republican Congress acting as a counter-weight to the White House.

The negative side to this, as always, will be attack politics that will follow to try to undermine all things that Obama tries to do. If recent history is any giude, it will likely degenerate into a laundry list of reasons why Obama should be impeached...and a never-ending media bore-fest like we had with similar efforts against Bill Clinton and George Bush.

Based on what I hear and read, I do not think there is much doubt that the Democrats are going to get hammered this year by a very angry electorate.

Somewhere along the line, there needs to be a strong third choice for people to break this cycle...and to get Politicians to focus more on real issues and solutions.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   
I hope they only like Republican because of Ron Paul, otherwise it's just sad to see how easy it is to manipulate folks, maybe they should start looking at the trend American politics has been following for decades before letting their gullibility and low critical thinking skills do the voting for them.

[edit on 3-6-2010 by Solomons]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Oh boy lets give it back to the republocrats that will fix things... Sigh! Just flip the coin over, either way we get screwed. Aint democracy great...

There aren't enough Ron Paul's to make a difference, lots of folks are claiming to be Ron Paul clones but "if" they get in office you can bet a good percentage of them will take the slush money....

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 04:17 AM
link   
I'am sorry for the American public !!!!!!!

I can't believe how simple and short sighted most are !!!!!!

Bush out Bush out we want change blah blah blah .. then next minute, Obama out Obama out we're not happy.... !!!!

It's like in the UK..... the Labour Government has, over the past 13 years put the UK in serious problems -- bottom line is the UK cannot afford itself and it's current lifestyle...... within weeks of the new Coalition Government being in power the Opposition had the cheek of blaming the New Government of the countries woes ..??? Oh please..... they caused it and so did the Republican party in the USA have caused alot of the issues now plaguing America......

BP in the Gulf has happened because of BUsh / Republican greed for relaxing regulations and laws and LOOK at what has happened !!!!!
Another thread I started about water supplies....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

illustrates the previous Republican presidency relaxed regulations and laws around OUR water supplies !!!???

THINGS take time, CHange takes time............ for gods sake America DO NOT slip back to a republican 'DRILL BABY DRILL' mentality....... you will lose and the few will gain again !!!!!

It's YOUR duty to challenge the lazy nature of people and really make a difference, not fall back into th Republican GREED mentality !!!!

RANT OVER

PurpleDog UK

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 04:19 AM
link   
yup there had to be an oil spill to make everyone go mindless again.

Then mindlessly vote for anyone with a d or and r beside there name.

Can we get out of the sheep mentality and get back to liberty?

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

Apparently you haven't figured out that there aint a dimes worth of difference between pubs and dems. They are both responsible for the demise of America They are just one big party. The whole divide is a dog and pony show to make people think they have a choice. The surprising thing is it is still working according to the thread OP. Must be the fluoride in the water... or something

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by hawkiye
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

Apparently you haven't figured out that there aint a dimes worth of difference between pubs and dems. They are both responsible for the demise of America They are just one big party. The whole divide is a dog and pony show to make people think they have a choice. The surprising thing is it is still working according to the thread OP. Must be the fluoride in the water... or something
One of the most sensible posts here. Blows my mind how people aren't able to comprehend this. You have everyone on the right whining about those on the left, and vice versa, yet they're unable to understand that they are both on the same team and their "leaders" bought and paid for by the same groups.

All the partisan bickering is just a side show.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Republicans say that THEY'RE the lesser of two evils....

Democrats say that THEY'RE the lesser of two evils.

I say, they all should choke on a ham sandwich and die with their eyeballs popping out of their skulls.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 06:06 AM
link   
There should not be any political parties. I think that is the crux of the problem in our Republic. Instead of having a representative democracy like we should, we have a House and Senate that is made up primarily with two major factions only looking to forward the policies and legislation of their own political ideology.

What this leaves behind is the people these members are to be representing.

Few in this country besides the very rich and powerful are truly represented in Washington today.

If the Republican party sweeps into a majority, we will still be in the same boat only paddling from the other side. Nothing will get done, and the American people will still be unrepresented.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 06:09 AM
link   
The less government does, the better.

So if there's a gridlock, GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD.

Please no house majority for republicans...

Put patriots in, doesn't matter which party they are from.

[edit on 3-6-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   
And this is due to the democrats heavy handed disregard for the people's wishes, they have tried to get as much of their runious policies passed in too little time, so the have woken the American people to what they really are, the enemy.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   
As I was saying.......

Shame folks arent paying attention and learning

and

If you subscribe to the "lesser of two evils" school of thought you are doing yourself and those around you a disservice.

new topics

top topics

join