It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lawyers Say Emanuel Subpoenaed in Blagojevich Case

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:39 AM
link   

BY Mike Robinson(AP)

CHICAGO — Lawyers for former Gov. Rod Blagojevich have subpoenaed White House chief of staff Rahm Emanuel as a witness at his corruption trial, attorneys close to the case and a White House official say.

White House adviser Valerie Jarrett also was subpoenaed, another White House official said. Blagojevich's racketeering and fraud trial is due to get under way Thursday with jury selection, following 18 months of skirmishing in the courts and the news media. The former governor, who is accused of trying to sell President Barack Obama's former Senate seat, has pleaded not guilty.

The attorneys close to the case spoke on condition of anonymity, saying Emanuel's subpoena was not public. Both White House officials also spoke on condition of anonymity because of the ongoing investigation.

If Emanuel did take the witness stand, he might be asked about what effort if any the White House had made to get Blagojevich to appoint Jarrett to the Senate seat.

Neither Emanuel nor Jarrett, who was mentioned as a possible candidate for the seat but withdrew her name to become a White House adviser, has been accused of any wrongdoing.

www.google.com...

When this scandal first broke, I distinctly remember seeing a video with Rahm denying any such allegations of a scandal even being existing. I will look for this and post if I find it.

Forgive me if I am wrong, but wouldn't obstruction of justice be a bit of a "wrongdoing"?

Will be interesting to see how this plays out and what role Obama played in Ole Chi Town politics. I cannot get over the level of corruption associated with this President.

What do you think ATS?

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 03:06 AM
link   
being subpoenaed and showing up
are 2 different things.

i don't think he'll show
and I don't think Obama
will let him.

Obama and Emanuel are
above the law, just like Bush
and Cheney were.

Blago is on his own

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Such a good point boondock! i did find this article from 2008 of Obama stating with such surety that none of his staff is involved. Here is an excerpt:

Obama said Thursday he had never spoken to Blagojevich about the Senate vacancy and was "confident that no representatives" of his had engaged in any dealmaking over the seat with the governor or his team.

He also pledged Thursday that in the "next few days" he would explain what contacts his staff may have had with the governor's office about the Senate vacancy.

Emanuel, who has long been close to both Blagojevich and Obama, has refused to respond to questions about any involvement he may have had with the Blagojevich camp over the Senate pick. A spokeswoman for Emanuel also declined to comment Friday.

www.swamppolitics.com...

Wouldn't this be obstruction of justice on Emanuel's part? I think he better start thinking about the penalty for perjury.

Thank you for your comments, we shall see I guess.

Pax

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
being subpoenaed and showing up
are 2 different things.

i don't think he'll show
and I don't think Obama
will let him.

Obama and Emanuel are
above the law, just like Bush
and Cheney were.

Blago is on his own

But Nixon's Erlichman and Haldeman (also Nixon's White House chief of staff) were not above the law.

This is all taking a strange turn, because many assumed obama would end up being like carter, but now it appears he's more like Nixon.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Two Words: Executive Privilege

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Yes, Executive Privilege does come into play but even without that, Blago is hosed anyway.

From the tape, Blago could have been selling the seat on Ebay and he wouldn't have been less guilty.

I don't have doubts that Emanuel is involved somehow, but there is no way in hell that they will get him to incriminate himself on the stand.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Hello centurion, your post really made me think twice. Well we know they have hours and hours of tapes, and tapes as we have seen in the past, happen to be some of the most damning evidence one can have.

Also think about this, it is reported that Rahm the Obama's and Blago were and probably still are very close. You know they talked about this deal for the Senate seat over cocktails or dinner or sometime. How can Obama claim he knew nothing about his senate seat being up for bid?
I call BS! He is a class act is he not? Geezzzz!

Can someone please make a list of all the shady characters our great Pres. has surrounded himself with.

My hope is Obama is subponeaed? What will his excuse be for not showing?

"I'm sorry that is the day I have set aside to find my Cajones,!!!! Hey wait a minute....I forgot ..... I DON'T HAVE ANY!!!!

What a Cesspool he is making of America!!!

new topics

top topics

join