It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So...where is Korea in the media now?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   
It seems when news hit of the US accepting the ship was torpedo'd by NK, coverage was strong for two days, sporadic then after, and nearly non existent the past week on most major media sources.

You have to wonder, why the sudden end of the subject...the oil spill seems to be top priority, with Israel right after, NK is nowhere to be mentioned aside from the soccer matches. The torpedo attack on the ship, with rising tensions, and really even during the previous coverage, not alot of insight and perspective was given.

Considering a good portion of us think the media is highly influenced and controlled by high ups, what would be the benefits of controlling a story such as, to me, seemingly large and newsworthy, being very careful about what to report. Considering that crazy Kim is probably flipping through cnn and fox to hear something and coming up short in comparison, might he try another rev up?

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Good question . I asked myself that very question a short while ago and found this ...

The U.S. aircraft carrier USS George Washington will participate in a joint naval exercise with South Korea next week in the Yellow Sea, the same waters west of the Korean peninsula where North Korea is accused of sinking a South Korean warship last March, ABC News has learned.Secretary of State Hillary Clinton warns N. Korea to "halt provocative actions." A U.S. official said the carrier, which operates from its home port in Japan, "will be sent to the waters off South Korea within coming days to participate in joint exercises" with the South Korean navy.

Slated to begin June 8, the official said this exercise will be "separate and distinct" from an upcoming anti-submarine warfare exercise that Pentagon officials had said recently would be occurring "in the near future."

Edit to add the link

[edit on 3-6-2010 by Max_TO]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by FrostForests
You have to wonder, why the sudden end of the subject...

oh it's not the end
the US and SK are currently involved with
joint military exercises.
Just the rhetoric has decreased.

And for the record, not everybody in the US
believe NK was responsible for the sinking
of the SK Corvette.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by FrostForests

There's going to be joint U.S./S. Korean naval war games there soon. We'll see the story at 11.

Expect more crap to come from this eventually.

This stuff never goes away. It just simmers for awhile until it's time to raise the temperature for whatever other reason.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:39 AM
link   
I believe the oil spill hits more at home for general population in the U.S, so the dissipation of the Korean peninsula tensions isn't a surprise. Same is happening here. Same thing has happened in N.Z, no acknowledgement of the Korean situation, may pop up, but people just don't want to hear it..

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Someone posted a thought in a North Korea thread that the hoopla would die out for about 2 weeks and something else would take the spotlight in the media (this was before Israel's mistake) and then the world would wake up to an "unprecedented" Korean War.

I'll look for it, but I doubt I'll find it.

Edit: Found it,
www.abovetopsecret.com...

...Apparently North Korea has said in the past if the South sets up more propaganda megaphones they will fire on them. The megaphones take 2 weeks to set up, and they started 1 week ago.

[edit on 3-6-2010 by TeddiRevolution]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 03:14 AM
link   
You see, with today's media, it's about keeping the flow. Keep the ball rolling. Don't stop to watch the scenery. Bombardment. Duck and cover. Fear! Fear! Fear!

Over there! Over here! Back over there! You'll never know where the end will come from...

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 03:16 AM
link   
It could be a false flag cus the US Gov may have wanted N.Korea to stop its silly posturing.

Notice at first Obama said we would not get involved.. now here we are.. getting involved.. So if N.K didn't do it.. and we spank their butts anyway.. it's just business as usual for the good ole U S of A.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Someone mentioned in another thread that the USA needed a reason to maintain their presence and bases in Japan. This incident gave them a good reason to stay.

I also think that it was getting more obvious for too much people that this was a false flag operation because it was a German made torpedo which was probably fired by an Israelii Submarine.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Regenstorm

would totally agree with that... sus bastards!

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Now about this German torpedo...I don't know much about torpedos, I don't know if a torpedo is fairly universal into what it can be loaded into, but I think it's fair to assume that NK could, for whatever reason, get a hold of a German torpedo to throw some folks off the track. This could be completely stricken out if there was no way to load it into a NK sub, but as valid as saying it was an Israeli sub, which would lead us to a completely other matter...

But I, of the order of the extremely paranoid, might indeed be inclined to think that it was thought out, planned and executed or influenced by the US. Yet another "what if".

Hell, those ships and or subs heading over there for training and practice might just be a great excuse to have a force close enough to have immediate impact.

Or how about the possibility that "they" will source to mass media in about a week that it was a rouge Israeli sub that stuck, linking to the two escalations of saber rattling, and adding fuel to the fire.

I guess my main point about the thread is that we need to take into account when major events are reported on by generally govt/upper 5% owned media, we should be aware what the strategic elements they use are, including why "major events" either get heavy press for a continuous time or sporadic coverage and then fade quickly. "Independent press" (barely such a thing now) will continue as well as can be expected into most major stories in comparison. There is a method to the madness and I doubt it's simply ratings and expected response, especially on something of this magnitude.

I would think it's safe to assume that mass media in general, especially TV, is geared completely to those we'd generally consider to be normal, everyday people, people who live in the now and only have a fairly short term memory, who with all of the new stories on the oil and Israel(which is seeming to get alot more coverage than Korea did) and confusion could easy forget about Korea all together to create a shockwave at a planned, opportune time.

Of course there is a good possibility i'm way off, but there are patterns to be seen in the media not just in these recent events, but every day news.

new topics

top topics

join