It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The size of BP spill compared to where you live.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   

The size of BP spill compared to where you live.

www.ifitwasmyhome.com

FINDING it hard to picture just how massive the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico is? Try placing it on top of your house.

Web developer Andy Lintner has created an online tool that shows you what the spill would look like in your backyard.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.news.com.au

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I couldn't see this anywhere else on ATS, so apologies if it has been posted already.

The link is a webpage that overlays the oil spill over your location using Google Maps.

I was staggered!!!!

From the limited media coverage we get here in OZ, I did not know it was this big.

Condolences to everybody affected and I hope it gets resolved quickly.

Krusty

www.ifitwasmyhome.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Well from the map it showed me I'd estimate Northern Ireland would fit into it twice that does seem pretty crazy especially when the depth isn't taken into consideration if there is as much underwater as I'd suspect the spill could probably cover the whole UK easily.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Thats a good point Teknikal.

I was only thinking ocean surface area, not depth.

Does anybody know how deep the spill goes?

That point just makes the whole spill orders of magnitude worse than what I saw on that map.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Krusty the Klown

Interesting website.

While this spill would certainly devaste me and others far and wide where I live, it's not as big as I thought is was. Just saying.

I'll check back with this site in, say, August......and surely see it overcomes my imagination, perhaps.

It is huge, by the way. But I thought is was much larger.

Nothing good will come of this, at least not for many, many years.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Teknikal

Yes, I guess we are just seeing surface images. the depths, though, I imagine this crap is humongous.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by kyred
reply to post by Krusty the Klown

While this spill would certainly devaste me and others far and wide where I live, it's not as big as I thought is was. Just saying.

Nothing good will come of this, at least not for many, many years.

I guess you've had much more media exposure to it than than we get here in Oz, so maybe you are used to it.

I reckon the only good that will come of it might be that it motivates people a little more to find an alternative to oil as an energy source.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Great post! I hope they do this with more things, it does really help put it in perspective. It ate all of Brisbane!
Great way of getting us elsewhere to understand the scope a bit better, it's been days and days since i've heard anything about it on the news here at all.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by bkaust

Yes, it would be interesting to see something like this website with the amount of the Amazon rainforest that gets logged each day.

Total deforestation on the planet in one day, total land clearing, open pit mines etc... it would be hard to do I imagine.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Despite the lack of presence in the media this situation is still not resolved.

This is the latest size of this spill as of October 2010.

www.ifitweremyhome.com...

top topics

join