It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What you may have missed...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Did you know that during the month of May, over 200 civilians lost their lives in the Middle East? Here's the twist: none of them involved the Israeli-Palestinian conflict! I don't blame you if you were unaware. When Israeli commandos kill 19 civilians there are a plethora of threads on ATS condemning the behaviour. When bombs and blasts go off in other areas of that region, we barely hear a mention about these events.

So, what key events have taken place in the ME and surrounding areas?

- Bomb blasts in Somalia kill at least 30

- Taleban launches attack on Afghan city; several dead

- Attacks in Iraq kill over 100

- Bomb blast at Iraqi football match kills 25, many wounded

- Twelve people dead after blast in north-west Pakistan

- Car bomb in Iraq leaves at least 30 dead

All of these figures are quoted from Wikinews, which is considered by many to be relatively neutral and accurate. Keep in mind that these numbers are a conservative estimate and not all attacks were mentioned due to possible confusion over the definition of "civilian."

Why don't the killings of civilians in any other country receive as much attention on ATS as those incidents involving Israel? When it comes to exposing the negative behaviour of people from certain countries, I guess some people really are more worthy than others here on ATS.

[edit on 3/6/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

Hi Dark Ghost,

You make a very valid point.

My answer would be the scale of the international media coverage of the event in question.

That and the wide spread belief that Israel must be using weapons that specifically target schools, hospitals, women, children and the elderly.

If I recall, the US had a batch of those defective weapons in Iraq 2003 aswell.

It would have to be down to the weapons wouldn't it?

I mean we surely couldn't insinuate that the opponents of Israel and the US know how to exploit the consequences of any military action they provoke and turn it into an international humanitarian outrage, could we?

It is far more logical to assume that Israel cannot utter a true word, its forces are all blood thirsty murderers with a taste for women and children and wants nothing more than world domination, correct?

You be the judge.

[edit on 3-6-2010 by Skellon]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   
The thing is that even those that are truly unbiased on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict can see that when it comes to Israel, criticism and cynicism about its actions are multiplied probably greater than any other country (except maybe the USA of course.)

It is true that the Israeli-Palestinian conflict is a very important one and there are obvious issues that need to be addressed as soon as possible. Instead of using stories that incite distrust and hatred for one side, why can't there be more threads focussed on finding a solution to the problems in that region?

One gets the feeling that a worrying number of ATS members have the opinion that if Israel were to get obliterated, there would be World Peace. All nations would hold hands and celebrate the liberation of Palestine. All the problems in the world would be solved. No more fighting and conflicts. Isn't this "solution" on par with the suggestion that the same goals could be achieved by wiping out Palestine and its citizens?

[edit on 3/6/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   

I don't think that most people on ATS want Isreal to be destroyed, most want peace in the area, and to achieve peace Isreal needs to cooperate. It is their government policies that are being adressed, not the citizens themselves. Supporting the destruction of Isreal would be highly hypocritcal.

I think that the media has reported so many times about the bombs in Iraq, Pakistan, Afghanistan, etc., that many who follow the news lose track of the numbers, and times bombings accord. That along with the media always showing what would keep the sheep entertained. These are only reported incidents, I'm sure deaths happen daily in the Middle East especially at the hands of the U.S.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Hey there,

I have deliberately stayed out of the Israel/Palestine debate and also the flotilla incident, as the ME in general is one VERY heated issue here on ATS as I am sure you are aware.

It is, however, sad to see yet more lives lost due to conflict.
I would like to think humans will one day get over the need to kill each other over anything (including capital punishment), but realistically, I doubt that it will happen in my lifetime, nor my childrens.

I don't really see how anyone can have a solid opinion on the flotilla matter without having been there, but that is beside the point I want to make.

It is apparent to me that the flotilla debacle is being used by the mainstream news outlets to take focus off of the Gulf oil spill and BP.

And it's working.

Cheers,
VA

new topics

top topics

join