It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Row over 'black only' council job ad

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Row over 'black only' council job ad

www.independent.co.uk

A council today defended a decision to exclude white people from applying to join a management training scheme.

Bristol City Council is facing criticism after the two-year graduate placement, worth £18,000, was offered only to ethnic minorities.

The council - the city's largest employer - said the process was legal and is addressing an imbalance in the ethnic mix of its workforce.

One potential applicant, who
(visit the link for the full news article)

+33 more 
posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
When one sets up a job opening for a white person, its racist and illegal. If one sets up a job for minorities only, its to create racial diversity in the workplace.

This double standard is really making me cringe, the fact that I, as a white person, am being marginalized the same way that the minorities were years ago, and the same thing my parents fought against.

This is racist, and its on the rise.

www.independent.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2-6-2010 by Happyfeet]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   
talking about it makes them smile. no one's gonna care until we grab our guns.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Treating somebody differently because of their skin color IS the definition of racism...it doesn't matter if it's treating them better or worse.
I wish we were more of a racially blind society, just seeing everyone as equal and base jobs off of education and experience.
By saying black only job announcement, they are basically saying 'look blacks are different and inferior and need our help' People like Reverend Jesse Jackson do more to keep minorities down than lift them up in my opinion...

[edit on 6/2/2010 by AnonymousMoose]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   

"The normal recruitment process was not rectifying this unacceptably low trend, so there was a strong case for this small positive recruitment traineeship for two BME graduates a year, as set out by section 37 of the Race Relations Act 1976. We have a total workforce of over 9,000 employees (excluding school staff) so this is a very small training programme.

If the normal recruitment process wasn't rectifying the problem that would suggest that the "BME" people are either not interested, or not willing to do what is necessary to obtain the positions. If they aren't interested, or willing to get the education necessary to obtain the job, why should those that are be penalized because of the color of their skin ?

"Graduates from any ethnic background are, of course, open to apply for the national graduate local government programme which we recruit from every year - we have just recruited two graduates in this way.

Nothing to worry about here though, the white people can still get a job. They just have to work for it, it won't be handed to them for free like it is the "BME" people who have to be coddled because they apparantly aren't capable of doing it on their own.

"It is also worth remembering that this is a training position - at the end of the two years there is no guarantee of work and the successful candidates would have to apply for a job with the council in the usual way on the open market."

Who do they think they're kidding ? They're not going to invest that amount of money and two years time into a person and then not give them the job

If this were being done for white people they'd be getting hit with massive discrimination lawsuits.

www.independent.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   
White people have been getting the unfair advantage for years and years. There is a huge legacy to make up for. So what a couple of positions are being offered to reverse the trend.

Get over it. I know it doesn't feel good, but that is what blacks have had to put with forever. They still do in many places; only less in your face than before.

Its going to take more than a couple of special opportunities to make up for past wrongs and eventually level the playing field.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by wayno

Read the article, this program is not only for black people.

No one can make up for past wrongs, the past is the past it's already gone, the furture is the furture it hasn't arrived yet, we only have the present to work with.

I'll never understand why anyone would want to take advantage of a program that basically says it's there because the people it was intended for are inferior, and incapable of competing for a job on equal terms.

+6 more 
posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by wayno
White people have been getting the unfair advantage for years and years. There is a huge legacy to make up for. So what a couple of positions are being offered to reverse the trend.

Get over it. I know it doesn't feel good, but that is what blacks have had to put with forever. They still do in many places; only less in your face than before.

Its going to take more than a couple of special opportunities to make up for past wrongs and eventually level the playing field.

Nice racist post. You don't stop racism by being racist.

There is NOTHING to make up for. I didn't own any slaves, I didn't keep the black man down. Forcing my race to make up for the sins of others in the past is just like making the blacks of today make up for sins of their forefathers.

It is exactly the attitude of your post that will keep racism alive an well for the coming generations. By this same logic, each German descendant, each Russian descendant, each American descendant pretty much each nationality needs to make up for the sins of their forefathers as well. Bette start making exceptions for everybody..

..Ex

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by v3_exceed

This is the messed up thing that most non-White people are completely oblivious to. Discriminating against White people is fine because people with White skin have mistreated non-White people in the past. People should have a deep, long think about that statement.

Racism will continue to exist as long as people try to blame their current circumstances on past injustices perpetrated by those with pale skin!

[edit on 3/6/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Happyfeet

It is illegal, or should be.

What if it had said whites only - that would be condemned as racist.

Anything that specifies race is racist.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   
If a US city posted that it would be very illegal i think.. all city and government programs are supposed to be unbiased.. don't they have equal opportunity laws in the UK?

[edit on 3-6-2010 by JohnPhoenix]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:40 AM
link   
this happens all the time here in n.ireland.... they try to balance the prodestants and catholics in the work force so they place ads in the job centres\local papers asking for catholics only to apply to balance the difference....its a bloody disgracw....

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by fatdad

Well, it is time for Ireland to get real.

They ask for catholics only in their ad? WHAT?

I thought Ireland was a go ahead country.

No, they are back in the bog.

And their leaders need to get real if they are trying to be in the world.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Just another, to me, disgusting example of reverse discrimination.

So their "BME" ratio is 7% versus the general population's at 12%. If we are going to create a BME distinction for redress action...why stop there?

What is their ratio of women employed versus the population at large?
How about Christians, versus Muslims, versus Atheists, versus Scientologists?
And have they considered the imbalances that may exist amongst peoples of varying IQ's...or people confined to wheelchairs, or needing walkers, or requiring weekly dialysis?

Any and all actions of this sort are "-ist" of the negative kind. Racist, sexist, you name it.

It wasn't long ago that a College in Canada decided that it needed to correct an imbalance between male and female professors. The short version is that for three full years, only female instructors were considered and hired.

Soon, if this thinking persists - or is taken to its most "progressive" extreme, we are going to see "legal" ads looking only for aboriginal, blind, high school drop out, cross-dressing gays with perfume and/or peanut allergies...

In other words to try to model workplaces such that they perfectly mirror the general population in all respects is both impossible and ridiculous. To only give this special hiring advantage to some arbitrary narrow slice of the population (like BME's) is outright favourtism, and worse.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Sorry guys you have only really done like 42 years of this. We call it even at somewhere between 150-250 years from now. Dont worry it isnt that big in the geological time scale.

The world is against those of you who go violent, so good luck. Maybe you just figured out that WE surround and outnumber you? Your only one part of the whole, and the punishment will last longer for you to help remember it.

LOL
ROFLcopter

Too bad the whole Israel situation is nearing the brink of global conflict, I kind of want to see even silier actions than these contineu to pass

[manical laughter]

[edit on 6/3/2010 by DYepes]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Racism is racism no matter what form it takes and should be opposed at all times.

Personally, I would hate to think that I got preferential treatment due to my race, creed or sexual orientation etc.
What about one's own self pride and dignity?

Of course non-whites suffered from racism in the past.
But surely the point is that we learn from that and move forward, and that is impossible if we replicate the same mistakes.

What we should be doing is demanding an education system that provides the best possible learning, in accordance with individual requirements, that ensures we produce educated and learned individuals able to meet a vibrant and egalitarian societies needs and reqiuirements.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   

I almost got sick when I read this. Seriously, this is either the most racist thing I have read on ATS or an obvious baited troll post.

So if someone in your family raped and killed a member of mine I could come and rape and kill ever female member of your family? That is the same logic being used in this post. Two wrongs do not make a right. I have never had slaves, in fact I can think of no one in my direct lineage that has owned a slave. I do not do anything to keep another person from succeeding they are doing that themselves.

I busted my butt to get the little I have. I had to pay every penny for my education because I could get no minority help with that. I do not get special privileges just because of my skin color; in fact, I just get by. My family has worked very hard right beside many slaves in the past, yet no one has ever offered my family squat for being in the same situations.

All these ultra liberal politically correct yahoos have caused more harm in the world than any of the “evil white people” ever did. There is a fine line between being a good person and helping people get treated equally to changing things around and saying all white people are evil pricks that should be forced into being poor slaves while the rest of us step on their backs.

Seriously it is thinking like in this post that are causing much of the worlds woes we have today. The past is over. The key is not to forget the past while still moving forward. You cannot move forward until you stop looking in the rearview mirror 24/7. Learn to get off your duff and take responsibility for yourself if you want to get some place. I am tired of people thinking others owe them something when neither party was ever involved in the past to begin with. I owe no body anything, and guess what no one owes me anything either. I believe in working for what I have, if you think you should not have to work to get what you want you can jump off a cliff.

Raist

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by chise61

No one can make up for past wrongs, the past is the past it's already gone,

Um, well, the present is a product of the past is it not? The present is screwed up for non-whites because of what whites did in the past.

Being the ones primarily at fault, and yet still with the most power and advantage, it behooves white people to do what they can to ensure the future is a little more equal for everyone.

Not so hard to swallow I should think. I say quit moaning and lets all get on with it.

[edit on 6/3/2010 by wayno]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by v3_exceed

By this same logic, each German descendant, each Russian descendant, each American descendant pretty much each nationality needs to make up for the sins of their forefathers as well...

We cannot undo what our forefathers may have done wrong, but we can do something about the current conditions that resulted from those past wrongs. If that means we have to voluntarily go through some pain or reverse discrimination, in the process; temporarily until things equal out; then so be it.

What is wrong about taking the higher road and giving someone else a hand up? It sounds like some of you would rather freeze the status quo of unequal status because the current situation is not your particular fault.

The solution could be something you proactively take part in tho.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   

What is wrong about taking the higher road and giving someone else a hand up? It sounds like some of you would rather freeze the status quo of unequal status because the current situation is not your particular fault.

The solution could be something you proactively take part in tho.

Because it is at someone else's expense and is causing supression.

Every black person I know only wants a level playing field, nothing more and nothing less!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join