It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Willing Would You Be To Take A Human Life In Order To Save A Species From Extinction?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
sometimes i catch part of the whale wars program or see the commercial for the show and witness their willingness to put themselves in harms way for another mammal that doesn't even live on land with them and it got me to thinking ..

On a scale from 1 to 10 (one being closer to NO, you would not, and 10 being closer to yes you would):

1) How willing are you to take a human life in order to save a species from extinction?

2) How willing are you to take two human lives in order to save a species from extinction?

3) How willing are you to take the lives of all humans to save three other species of life?

Not unless you want to say with absolution either yes or no to those questions am i expecting yes or no answers.

perhaps these questions are better left in the gray area instead of black or white, yes or no answers.

as for my answers, i'll have to give it some thought.
not sure if i'm ready to supply a response myself, yet.

thanks in advance for your time and sharing your opinion,
john paul som peter (aka: E.T.)

[edit on 2-6-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher
1) How willing are you to take a human life in order to save a species from extinction?

2) How willing are you to take two human lives in order to save a species from extinction?

3) How willing are you to take the lives of all humans to save three other species of life?

Lame. You have an opinion, now share it.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   
It depends greatly on the human and the species. Probably a 0 in most cases.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Answer would be absolutely not in either hypothetical.

Put me down for all 0's.

This is like asking if you had two of your kids hanging off a cliff witch one would you save. Well wait a sec.

This is like asking if your kid was hanging off a cliff and the last pregnant white tail deer having twins of opposite sex to sustain the species was as well and you had to save one.

See above answer for that one.

Conservation, conservation, conservation. Lets all repeat this so no one has to die.

Now if you want to jump off a cliff and sacrifice yourself for the animals. By all means help yourself. I know of a couple that would give you beautiful scenery the last few seconds you have left.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
As much as there are some animals I like even more than people sometimes, I can't see myself killing another human being. Unless my life or a family member or friend were threatened, I couldn't do it. I would however gather as many people together as I could in order to fight for the animal's right to life.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

Zero to all.

Anyone answering anything over zero to question 3 should be committed post haste.

These people don't do this to save anything. They do this for attention. If they cared they would fight through legislation and education where they might make a real difference.

They do make for comic fodder on the news I suppose. People making fools of themselves on camera is always good for something.

The sad part is that I think the leaders of all such radical movements do not themselves believe in their causes. They are expert in the confidence game.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   

10.... that really goes for all question, humans are the only thing on this planet that is killing everything else off, we are the virus on this planet... we cause pollution and wipe species out so we can wear a nice furry hat... people in general dont care about anything besides themselves and greed... ( this is generalized as people as a whole as we know not everyone are like that) but still... there is so much wrong in the planet and with the human species, so much hate in the world and deceit, the world and all the animals that live here, would be a better place without humans.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I would kill any Child Molester to save any species, after that we will see. I don't think I could Kill just anybody to save a species. Species die off everyday, It doesn't seem like something I would want on my soul. I can't stand watching any animal Die, even in the Movies. I would rather see a human die. I still fast forward the part in the Beastmaster when Dar's Dog gets shot with a Arrow. I'm a conservative, but I wont shoot a animal...It is not for me.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Please forgive me , but I am pretty sure that various " species " have been going extinct long before humans ever got on the scene ?

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
If the human was my Ex Wife and the species was the Amoeba.. I'd seriously give it some thought !!

No Really.. a ZERO on all counts.. there are No spicies worth the life of a human..

Unless perhaps if it were a highly advanced alien race this human was trying to wipe out.. then yeah.. I'd kill Him to save their race.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   

-infinity

Seriously...I don't understand this type of thinking at all.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I would be willing to wipe out entire animal species to sustain the human race. We come first. That is my personal opinion.

SO 0 to all the above questions.

[edit on 3-6-2010 by Foxe]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by keepureye2thesky

Lame. You have an opinion, now share it.

if in your infinite wisdom you think it is lame for a someone to concede they would rather know all the variables before choosing which species lives or dies, then yes, i am lame.

however, from certain perspectives some people may believe it lame to bother to quote and answer the questions straight down the middle with all 5's like they have some inward insight that is balanced.

i don't know everything, but i do believe that their are mechanisms within us at the subconscious levels that efforts to at least consider the yin and yang of it, the opposing views .... so your 5's also could be interpretted as you don't care who is killing for species and you don't care which species are dying, if there is an opposing view within that balanced equal thought processes of yours.

further more if we are in fact really individuals, isn't each individual their own unique species? if true, then any passive participation in government, voting, jury duty, etc .. (state executions, war) is supportive evidence that you have already participated in/taken actions that are consistant with already deciding the answers to the questions asked in the op?

it seems to me people are prone to getting stuck on thinking ahead concerning only worst case and best case scenarios.

perhaps, just maybe, ....

the worst best case scenario and the best worst case scenario are closer together and closer to the truth than any "gray" down the middle mindset.

just some thoughts. you asked for my opinion, and that is part of it.

thanks for sharing,
john

[edit on 3-6-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
No chance, none what so ever!

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Zero to all, anyone who would seriously consider such actions needs to get themselves a mental health checkup asap imo.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

1) Depends on the person really. If its someone like a death row inmate or serial rapist that sure I'd be willing to kill them to save a species.

2) Same answer as number 1. I could possibly add to the list corporate leaders who have made a career out of raping the planet but it would have to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt that they've done horrible things to the planet.

3) I wouldn't ever be willing to kill all humans. Some of us actually contribute and try to limit our impact on the Earth and the extinction event we are in the midst of. So under no circumstances should we go extinct to save anything else, all species are evolutionarily equal in my opinion.

Edit to Add: I know I cheated and didn't use the scale system, I don't think that 1 - 10 thing works for an issue as hairy as this.

[edit on 3-6-2010 by Titen-Sxull]

[edit on 3-6-2010 by Titen-Sxull]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
The only one I'd kill without reservation would be the evil criminal mastermind who somehow concocted and executed the infinitely improbable plan which forced me into the moral dilemma where I alone decide the fate of an entire species or murder someone.

I am not much for hypotheticals..

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   

sometimes i catch part of the whale wars program or see the commercial for the show and witness their willingness to put themselves in harms way for another mammal that doesn't even live on land with them and it got me to thinking ..

On a scale from 1 to 10 (one being closer to NO, you would not, and 10 being closer to yes you would):

I DISLIKE THESE QUESTIONS KIND OF REACHING IN TOO DEEP I MUST SAY ;GEORGIA GUISTONES YES??

Not unless you want to say with absolution either yes or no to those questions am i expecting yes or no answers.

perhaps these questions are better left in the gray area instead of black or white, yes or no answers.

thanks in advance for your time and sharing your opinion,
john paul som peter (aka: E.T.)

[edit on 2-6-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by lost_on_earth

So I take it that you are for the Death Penalty?

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I wouldn't kill any other human being to save any species. Anybody who would is a dangerous individual who needs to take a good look at themselves. Extinction is the order of the day. Over 99% of everything that's ever lived on the earth is now extinct. If you'll kill someone to save the equivalent of a grain of salt in a large bag of chips, you need mental assistance.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join