It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

German Doctor Offers Body Parts For Sale.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   
"

"Doctor Gunther von Hagens, the man behind the controversial exhibition of dead bodies, is now selling body parts. A new mail order store in Germany is selling all manner of items, from part of a smoker's lung, to a slice of human head. Also for sale is a cross section of a human body - with prices ranging from £100 to £14,000. Dr von Hagens - known as Dr Death in his homeland - is the inventor of plastination. It is a process which preserves the bodies of people and animals by replacing fluids with hardened silicon. His works have gone on display all over the world, drawing curiosity, admiration and revulsion in equal measures.

Now, the anatomist is offering a mail-order service from the German town of Guben, near the Polish border, where his factory or 'plastinarium' is located. The plastinarium has just opened, after a two-year delay when the project was heavily criticised by religious groups. Dr von Hagens, 64, argues that his work is educational and in fact promotes better health.

But religious leaders describe it as voyeuristic, with one priest describing it as a "sublime form of cannibalism",which violates human dignity. VonHagens argues that what he is doing is not wrong because "corpses have no souls".

The artist gets his bodies from donors who agree that he can plastinate their bodies after their deaths. "

news.sky.com...

Now I find this a tad weird, I know his exhibitions around the world are viewed as educational and fascinating and I cant really argue with that, why I find it weird is that he apparently has a large amount of young adult's bodies, I dont know many young adults who think about death enough to agree for their bodies to be given up for scientific research after death, so where has he acquired all these bodies? He says from donors.

The news article states that there was rumors at one stage that he was getting the bodies from China and that Dr Von Hagens denied this saying that the confusion arose in an interview conducted in English - his 'favoured but not first language'

So what do you guys think, is this guy legit? or is he some evil weirdo with a penchant for dead bodies? Maybe buying them to order from the black market? or maybe i just have an over active imagination. I think it is strange that he is now selling body parts, who would want one? a foot for over the mantle anyone?

Sorry mods if this is in the wrong forum, feel free to relocate it.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   
As for the guy in the illustration, we know what religion he is not.
As for the women, she received a brain from another woman in Munich. Her name was Abie Normal, a local barmaid.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Got to admit i watched the live autopsy stuff he did on Channel 4 a few years back and he did come across then as very knowledgable, if a little bit creepy (get rid of the hat man!)

But now he's selling the stuff he's pumping silicone into?..Weird...is he trying to justify it as art or something?

The question is not only is this guy a freak...what about the people who will buy from him?

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by uptheirons!

A friend of mine wants to buy a thumb

Im starting to worry about him lol its weird, cant see a huge market for it myself.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 03:27 AM
link   
This stuff is pretty weird I couldn't watch his program on TV, something very real and deliberate about surgery that I can't watch it. I oddly have no problem watching zombies eating people, folks getting blown up in movies though.
This kind of stuff reminds me of renaissance artists who used to secretly go to autopsies to watch the dissection of humans. This was to improve their craft as supposed to a morbid fascination as it gave them insight into the structure of bones and muscle. Which in turn led them to create pieces of art less stylised and more realistic. This of course was all to the distaste of the Catholic church. I guess some things never change

To add few pics
www.hss.state.ak.us...

www.umanitoba.ca...

[edit on 11-6-2010 by Big Raging Loner]

top topics

join