It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Binge drinking rots teen brains

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Binge drinking rots teen brains

www.newscientist.com

The bingeing monkeys had 50 to 90 per cent fewer stem cells in their hippocampus compared with the controls. "We saw a profound decrease in vital cells," Mandyam says.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.webmd.com
www.cbsnews.com

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   

A new policy to combat under-age drinking was launched earlier this month by the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP). It is based on results from earlier studies which showed that 41 per cent of children who start drinking regularly at 12 years of age develop lifelong dependency, compared to 11 per cent of people who start drinking at 18.

Wow, really who would have thought it.

Seeing an excess of binge drinking in youths today it is no wonder some of them are so messed up. I knew a few in school who delved into the world of binge drinking early on and later they seemed to be pretty mentally deficient to me.

I have no problem with drinking; I am not trying to start prohibition. I consumed quite a bit of alcohol in my early twenties so I know what it is like. However, according to the article the binge drinking early on really affects the brain.

Is it any wonder some of the youth are acting the way they are?

www.newscientist.com...

Raist

www.newscientist.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Binge drinking is just plain dangerous IMO. It's too easy especially with Liquor to reach toxic levels and die from alcohol poisoning. Like a local case here last year where the day after a massive teen party the next morning while they were cleaning up they found a 15 year old who passed out behind a couch Dead from Overdosing on Jack Daniels and Vodka

Sad really the parents knew he was spending the night at a friends but did not have a clue he would be dead the next day

Be careful!

Moderation

Young Bloods it's just not worth it

PEACE

Slay

[edit on 2-6-2010 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I agree completely. Though I have to say in my early twenties I indulged in the binge drinking myself. I though one day decided that that lifestyle was just not right for me and left it behind, never looking back.

I guess I just burned out on it. I found it really boring and thought it to be immature to be plastered out of my skull. Like I said this happened over night out of the blue. I never did understand why it just did.

I think teens today are more at risk though than teens of the past. Now instead of sitting at the dinner table together families are spread apart and the teens are left to their own devices.

Raist

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

Oh I've done my fair share in high school and later while taking classes.

It's not just the danger of Over dosing or killing and or retarding brain cells or their development there is also teen sex [Alcohol related pregnancy] Not to mention automobile accidents after the party I lost 3 good friends while in the 11th grade they were in the back of a pickup truck while the driver who was also drunk missed a turn at 60 miles per hour and rolled his truck with them in the back. I heard later it was not a pretty site.

These types of accidents happen all the time and usually there are drugs and or alcohol at play.

[edit on 2-6-2010 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Cue the Superbowl, the "largest television event" in america.

Even people that don't give two shirts about football watch it, and almost all of them will tell you they watch for the commercials.

Almost every single minute of the programming that isn't actual gameplay is dedicated to alcohol/beer companies.

I thought it was extremely hypocritical two years ago when the day after the Superbowl, the entire western world made a big stink about a picture of america's world record-earning gold medal Olympic swimmer, micheal phelps, hitting a bong.

Sure alcohol ingestion alone kills hundreds of thousands of americans every year, and cannabis hasn't directly killed a single soul in history, but IT'S THE SUPERBOWL!!! Drink beer, eat chips, and yell at your TV!!!

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by alaskan

Funny thing is I cannot stand sports. I also do not watch the Super Bowl. I could not tell you when it is or who has ever been in one. I have never watched a Super Bowl in my nearly 35 years of life.

I agree though that it was hypocritical what they did to the Olympic swimmer, but at the same time I do not think one whose brain is still growing should be using pot either. I am not going to start getting into that though because I do not wish to have my thread turn into that and either be moved or deleted because of it. I will say that some studies have shown it affects the growth of the brain as well.

Raist

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
People need to be much more aware of how horrible binge drinking can be. It bugs me that i still have friends close to 30 that still go out with the sole purpose of 'getting smashed' I stopped drinking at about 21, i overdid it in my teens, and i really regret it, it took me drinking tequila straight from the bottle and throwing up blood to realise that this would be the behaviour that would kill me early, and it's really not worth it. If only more people saw the downsides to it, but unfortunately most just see that the hangover is the worst part of it, not the social, emotional and mental problems that can go hand in hand with it.

It seems like kids today (not that i'm old
) are even more irresponsible then they were even 10 years ago, the amount of kids drinking and driving when they aren't even licenced, the drugs kids seem to take now, the fights they get into, it's not a normal weekend here if you haven't heard of someone under the age of 20 dying, being arrested or in hospital due to drinking. I don't know what difference it makes developmentally, but i have a few friends that blame their bad memory on their past drinking, my partner who was a heavy drinker from 15-19 (also did some drugs) cannot remember full spaces of months or things we did as teenagers because he just has no recollection of it. He's a bright guy, but its so upsetting to go 'remember when...' and he just can't. Have several friends who suffer from that too. I feel like i've lost some of my adolescence when the people i spent it with can't even recall any part of it!

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I always thought it was funny how people teach their kids not to drink the poisons under the sink or out in the garage then go off and drink their own poisons.

If you're gonna drink alcohol either brew your own or distill your own. Maybe by learning and appreciating the time the work and the craft they would be less likely to waste gallons and gallons of vagrant piss as they are want to do.

Mass produced swill is a terrible thing.

Making things candy sweet or "less filling" indicates a people who are more interested in simply killing themselves than actually having a drink for the sake and worth of the drink.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Binge drinking is bad? Who'da thunkit?

Seriously though, I doubt studies like these do anything to sway young people who are determined to 'have a good time.' Sad but true. The studies are much more effective at making older people like myself lament over the possibility of loss brain cells!

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by bkaust

I have portions of time that I cannot recall myself. I was not drinking as heavily at those times but I was drinking too much and other things as well. I am asked by my wife if I remember such and such time when she got mad at me (when we were dating) I tell her I have no idea what she is talking about. Either the stuff I had done in the past, or just getting older, or maybe she caused me a head wound (lol), but something caused me to lose bits of my memory as if they never were. Of course I did receive a pretty hard blow to the head in my early twenties as well.

I understand what you mean though. It sucks.

Raist

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Threadfall

That is just it though. When you are young and stupid it is safe. If it were not safe it would not be legal. At least that is how much of the thinking goes.

Even the safety concerns that have been discussed I doubt this one has been discussed enough. If this is the case now, what is the overall long term affects due to this? Also are there more if not worse long term affects? From my understanding once there is brain injury it is always there. But what might be present to be found to be a later injury caused by early developments?

Raist

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 03:17 AM
link   
I could believe that, because teenagers brains are still developing, and when you use certain drugs, they tend to disrupt the neurological development, that may cause odd behaviour and strange personalities in life, however there is no such thing as normal personalities and normal behaviour, we are conditioned to society, Society decides what's mentally ill and what's normal behaviour.

So inreality you either go up against society, or you run with it.
The problem is there is many rules based on society and religion.
So it's up to you as a person to objey societies religious rules.
If you object the law there is reprecussions for that.

They take your freedom of choice away, so you cannot choose your food.
You cannot choose where to sleep, your basically in a place filled with other disturbed and condition people, being manipulated by hearchy of gangs in prison. After all these people are brainwashed because there listening to a man behind bars that gets a few hours a day out on the yard.

So yes the dark side of life is really are you a puppet, and if so who is pulling your strings? But to be your own hand you make many enemies.

But you stand up for yourself, but in the process you may get eliminated.

So that's why life isn't as it seems, alot of "dark sided" things do go on, but who are we to truly judge and justify, we are conditioned by current society and culture, our families sets of beliefs have an effect on our decision making.

We may go up against our current conditioning taught to us by our parents and teachers. But in the end it's really our choice how the outcome of life effects us. We can precieve things with negativity or postiveness.

Does it make you feel good your able to get clean water (filtered tap), but at the same time knowing it has trace amounts of fluoride within the water.

See no matter what there will always be a postive and negative to everything.

Even the Good stuff that we enjoy, organic foods aswell.

Sadly this world we live in alot of things can kill us, and alot of things can cause health problems. The combonation of things can create a different outcome.

So in the end it's the majority of people that are in power and consumers to make the decision what is healthy and safe for us, but people are always on the go and creating tasks within there own life. We won't ever have the perfect life, however if you do educate yourself enough you may discover the way to longitvity, but the problem is others may or may not follow you.

So in the end you can make it, they may not, it's a solo journey my friends. All we can do is share research and knowledge amongst each other.

But I must say I'm very alarmed on the high rate of alcoholism amongst my peers (young adults). Already there having health problems, liver and kidney related. So sad but true, luckily if they stop drinking those problems can clear up, liver can regenrate, and the other organs within time can be healed.

But we don't last forever, but we can because other humans have proven we live longer then 80 years old. and to me that says alot.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by cyb0rne

I wonder if the majority of the teens with “rot brain” are not the type that get sucked into the social “norms” of caring about games, movies, who is doing what, and all the other pointless garbage that is put out to take our eyes off the real things going on in the world. So many are into that life style now that those of us that come to ATS are a rarity. Even those who come here and are not a CTer have come here for the same reason those who are CTers did. All of us thought outside the box for the most part.

I believe that this is nothing more than a tool to help dumb down the future generations. This is a tool that will help create the better slave. Not to mention they will not live long due to health issues so it also will help with the depopulation (if there is a conspiracy to do that).

Sadly though when explaining this to teens most will ignore it. I think though that this sort of information will grab the attention of more than a few teens and shake them out of the world they have decided to create.

Raist

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Even when I was at my worst, I never drank more than a shot or two of hard liquor in a night. I recall dozens of nights (well, sort of
) where I was drinking off the keg non-stop. I think this personally was a good treatment for my braininess and lack of social skills. I'm no longer so intelligent that the average person can't comprehend me. Now I'm just another above-average guy.

Thank you, almighty bronco pump! You were the key to my success.

Okay, I find the need to add that I'm not condoning binge drinking, and in fact think that I rarely got to that point. For whatever reason, I could drink like a fish all night and still keep my cognitive skills. I'm just wired that way. I can't stand, and am quite against, actually getting to the point that you're slurring, irrational, and basically just a waste. At whatever point that is for you individually, please stay below that.

[edit on 9-6-2010 by unityemissions]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

I agree for the most part I was always aware of my surroundings and kept my wit about me. Aside from a few nights, I was always still myself. I do wonder if I might have been affected in some way by such drinking (I also drank like a fish for a few years). I am for the most part disgusted by those who get “sloppy drunk”.

Oddly enough, I only seemed to have been affected socially a few times and did not wake up with hangovers until the last bit of my stretch of drinking. I hope that this bit of information though will reach a few.

Raist

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Just want to add this to the thread to show that parenting can influence whether or not teens binge drink or not. Granted it will not influence whether the kids drink; but the likelihood of how much they will drink.

Authoritative parents better at preventing kids’ binge drinking, study finds

The four styles – authoritarian, authoritative, indulgent and neglectful (also called indifferent) – are based on combined measures of parental support and control of children. They are usually measured using research questionnaires.

www.theglobeandmail.com...

Likewise, authoritarian parents can realize that by themselves, control and discipline don’t work unless accompanied by warmth and support. “You can’t just have one without the other,” he said.

Good news for parents.

Raist

new topics

top topics

join