It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NSW Government recording features for facial recognition

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I have all the respect for Dave Hughes, but.. c'mon should I really be getting my daily news fix from him? It's a wonder the show has lasted this long.

Anyway let's not get too far off-topic.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   
haha its so rare to see an ATS thread so MANY Australiaisms - i love it!

7pm Project - mind programming of the highest order... Dont get me started!!!!

Its so true tho - Aussies are becoming WWWAAAYYYY too gullible and easily placated. Quite annoying if you chose to focus on it too much. I try not to.

For the record, I understand how it feels to feel completely alien in your own so-called culture. I'm sure you guys must get this too - but i'm vegatarian so I cop that as well, but it becomes impossible to have a normal convo with anyone these days if you dont watch Masterchief, Biggest Loser, 7pm Project and eat-up everything Today Tonight and A Current freaking Affair spew out.

Anyway, one EASY FIX to all this - turn of the TV!

As for the licenses, I completely MISSED the part bout having entirely new technology, chipped no less, to replace our licenses... Hmmm how can someone get around that??

I wonder if we could 'request' an 'old school/normal' drivers license WITHOUT the chips and stuff??

If i wasn't already procrastinating my way out of studying for upcoming Uni exams I would make some inquiries at the RTA n see....

[edit on 3-6-2010 by srsen]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Check this out too - maybe old news, but news to me!

Related story

WHen i go to get my license I am going to show my pearly whites like never before. When asked to take a second photo i will quite simply refuse. They already have a picture of me. I do not give permission for my face to be part of a facial recognition database. So until i feel the handcuffs coming on (which it would never come to), they can kiss my you-know-what....

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by srsen

Hmmmm I wonder how they are going to ENFORCE that?

I don't have to renew my driver's license until 2011 so no doubt by then other states will be doing this too.

Wow. Your link is from January, so it's been 'known' for almost 6 months! Why is it that I know about Lara Bingle, Gary Coleman and Fergie, yet this has bypassed me and other ATSers for so long?

Oh and yeah srsen, I have taken to switching of the TV of late. Nothing but rubbish on that box......

Thanks very much for the informative link!
Cheers

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I returned from Europe and two weeks ago and whilst coming through Customs at Mascot (Sydney airport) was told to place my new passport in a special scanner.

I then had to stand still and have my facial features scanned - then I was given the go ahead to proceed and have my carry on and luggage x-rayed.

I am in two minds about this. Firstly, I am not a crim with a shady past and do not intend to break the law in Australia or anywhere else. So why should I be treated like this ? Like I am a potential threat ?

Secondly, I was really peed off in Egypt when the concierge guy took my passport into another room and made a photocopy of it "so I can do my job", if I had of refused I would not have been able to check in to ANY hotel in the country. I feel that facial recognition may, in fact, assist in prevention of the fraudulent use of Australian passports by secret service operatives in other countries....like ISRAEL.

res

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   
What happens if you have plastic surgery and emerge with an entirely different face?

Do the authorities then force the plastic surgeon to disclose your details?

They would be kept quite busy, by all accounts.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknows

Hmmm...that is an interesting scenario, especially as asking the surgeon for the

pictures of the person's face prior to surgery would be a breach of Doctor

Patient Confidentiality.

Governments being the way they are would most likely change the law so that the info would be accessible to them.

res

[edit on 3-6-2010 by resistancia]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Verum Astrum

Enforcement?? I think those who chose o act in ways i described above will quite simply not get given a driver's license at all.....

Well i for one am kinda stoked, my license needs renewing in 3 months, so i'll grab a 5 year license and hopefully delay the process as long as possible.

Its true tho and its strange. They must have REALLY tred to make sure this all gets minimal exposure. Here's a bunch of us, all ATSers who seem to stay on top of things, and this all passed us by. The propaganda machine is becoming so efficient isn't it!

Very glad i stumbled across this thread!

Besides, now that Lost has finished forever there's nothing to watch on TV anyway

[edit on 3-6-2010 by srsen]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by srsen

Indeed..........the Ministry of Truth seems to be doing a fine job

WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Did I just say that?

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by resistancia

Yes, no doubt they would change the law.

Forget privacy.

Next there will be cameras in your house (if they aren't already).

Bring back the innocent times of 1984, George Orwell!

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknows

Bring back the innocent times of 1984, George Orwell!

hahah yes!! ATS Quote of 2010!

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknows

Wow, yes that is a good question........
Even Botox changes the facial features and that's now quite a popular method of 'facelift'. Even though, it seems, that Botox tends to make one look like a stunned mullet.

These Gov's love to beat their chests over how much power they've got, but this issue may be harder to enforce than others.

How ridiculous is it for a photographer to say "now, don't smile"!

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by srsen

The quote of 2010?

Thanks for your support, but most people have probably never heard of George Orwell and probably were toddlers in 1984 or not even born, lol.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 06:25 AM
link   

I doubt the botox will work. The new facial recognition technology can distinguish between identical twins. It doesn't matter if you lose or gain weight, get a suntan, remove your glasses, or grow a beard or change your hairline, the technology will still pick you up. At the moment, in Qld, you are supposed to get a new photo taken if you gain weight etc, but the new licences being introduced later this year, will negate all of those changes.

At least the "smart chips" in the card are going to be used for nothing more sinister than recording your next of kin, and your PIN for changing your address details etc. But in five years time, who knows what will be recorded?

The only good news is, that right now in Qld, unless you are driving a truck or on a provisional licence, you don't HAVE to carry your licence, but will be given up to 48 hours to produce it at a police station. But I'm sure that will change as soon as the wallopers get licence card readers in their vehicles. With ALL your information readily available. As sure as Palestinians throw rocks.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Nventual

Nventual.....

The NSW Labour Government is so spectacularly incompetent, they will will probably stuff this up!

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Holy crap...

I just got my license renewed a few weeks ago. I smiled at the camera and the woman asked me not to. I asked her why and she said, in a rather dismissive way, "It's to better identify you with." I thought I was being lied to at the time but this just confirms it. This is a Sydney RTA by the way, it's happening already.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by tangotemper

Oh right.......
I really don't know much about Botox, other than it makes people look silly. Was just a guess really

Here in SA it is also a requirement to carry your license, although I have not been stopped by the boys in blue and not had it on me, so not sure if we get the same few days grace.

And yeah, I have to agree with you, who knows where we'll be in another 5 years. Technology certainly is becoming rather rapid.

Thanks for the correction about the Botox. Looks like I need to research facial recognition a bit more.

Cheers,
VA

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Hey there Kryties,

So the big question is...................Did ya smile???

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   

I still tried to, even after she asked me not to but she looked like she was going to refuse to take the picture unless I co-operated and I was at the point of just wanting to get outa there......

I did manage to raise the corners of my lips slightly though, I felt rather rebellious doing that hehe.....

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Good Job! LOL

Gotta love the Aussie spirit

I'm thinking a wink right at the moment of the photo being taken may also be a bit of fun........

Sorry, can't help it. Gotta rebel against ridiculous rules.

Cheers
VA

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join