It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NSW Government recording features for facial recognition

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   

NSW Government recording features for facial recognition

www.news.com.au

THE New South Wales Government is quietly compiling a mathematical map of almost every adult's face, sharing information that allows law enforcement to track people by CCTV.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 6/2/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
that is the headline from the main page of news.com.au and I felt it was more attention grabbing then the headline that you see when you click the link. I hope no one minds.

anyway, what do you all make of this?
it seems pretty straight-forward, you don't even need to come up with a conspiracy theory as it's all there in the article.

"Police hope that at some point an individual can be tracked," Dr Semmler said yesterday.

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 6/2/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I live in Iowa and my daughter just renewed her drivers license....the guy at the DL station told her not smile in the picture because of the facial recognition in the picture. HHmmm...

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Once a Penal colony always a prison colony. I just can't believe that the Australian people are allowing this at all. I thought my brothers down under would have put an end to the Britain like police state, but alas the march to despotism continues. Such a waste it was a beautiful country.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Once a Penal colony always a prison colony. I just can't believe that the Australian people are allowing this at all

Oh; so you must be from that country where people rioted, overthrow NWO, and all excessive state CCTV survallence? Which country is that?

To be honest the crime fighting argument, is a winning argument in most democratic systems. Those who oppose CCTV clearly need a better argument, because its not as popular as many of its proponents think (it should be!).

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by NecromancerYHVH
Once a Penal colony always a prison colony.

G'day Mate,

Them's fighten word's buddy, I do hope you say that in jest.

As for the post I am yet to look into this more.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Of course I say it jest, your brothers, rebels throwing off the crown of Britain. Yet, we still are following its lead into the despotism and repression. I didn't think you would have allowed disarmament, I didn't think censorship was going anywhere either and yet it did. The sad thing is that frontier spirit that most of the world admired from the Aussies I fear is as lost as the individualism is in America.

In a fox hole I would feel more comfortable with a Aussie than a person from most other countries.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I believe the government is about to seriously change the "war on drugs".

Not so long ago, you could pass through the centre of London without being filmed even once. Today too many paths are blocked for it to be physically possible (above ground level, anyway's!). The only time (I imagine) it would be possible, is if there was an extensive power cut, and even then many cameras, have their own battery back-up.
In another 20 years I expect we will have two systems working simultaneously: Licence Plate Recognition, coupled with Face Recognition on all public transport, all major roads, and streets. And whatever happens, it'll only take 1-2 decades (after that) for the (new) infrastructure to possess truly penetrating abilities.
Because since we can store more and more information on computer chips, its not going to be expensive-hard archiving billions of hours of CCTV footage, all at very little cost.

Once information is stored digitally it can be watched by computer software, because they have the advantage of being obedient, 247, watchmen, who'll work only for the cost of the electricity that feeds them.
For all we know, it could still take a few decades (more) for a computers intelligence to truly bypass a persons. But (given where we are already now) its hardly going to be long for software that can (help) a few human staff, operate a massive CCTV system. It could spot, then zoom in on e.g.: An assault taking place at a crowded pub, a handbag grab, a shopper showing sighs of stealing, and (one day) (perhaps) even detect a typical, ATS user, "thinking about something too deeply-inappropriately"!!!

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
What the heck is this??

I live in Sydney, had heard nothing bout it till now and am quite honestly P!SSED!

Ugh, this really annoys me. How are we given any freedom or rights when our stupid government first wants to filter our internet use and now wants to use our drivers license picture to develop facial recognition tracking programs!!

Wrong Wrong Wrong.....

Though i suppose it will be easy to get around - if i'm ever being tracked i'll just make sure i'm pulling a funny face the whole time...

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Fantastic. I have to renew my licence next month, not looking forward to getting my new card - it says late 2010, so heres hoping if i pick a 5 year licence and miss the rollout on the new one i wont be getting the card until 2015

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Nventual

hmmm... not okay at all, but when will it end?
And why do we on ATS often (not always) act so surprised when this stuff happens?
It's not like we couldn't see it coming!

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
George Orwell would be rolling in his grave.

There's been nothing on the news about any of this either mind you. Only this one article, on one website. At least it's on the front page, but still..

The general public wouldn't care about it anyway. Australia's citizens like to have the wool drawn over their eyes so that they can watch the footy and get drunk without having to worry about what's going on.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   

well there was a small sound bite on Triple M this morning - The Grill Team actually...
that's when my ears pricked up.
All of 30 secs in a news segment, I wonder what Spoon-man will say!

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
There will probably be something about it on The 7PM Project too, but of course it will be approached with jokes etc so no one takes it seriously.

Then they'll have some "expert" who sidesteps the whole issue and then they'll move on to the next story.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Yeh, the 7pm Project IS a joke.
Personally I think it's just another form of programming.
Our kids are going to grow up thinking that's actually how "news" is supposed to be presented...

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
You have a good point. I never thought about it but it does seem plausible for 7PM Project to become more popular than normal news formulas and will eventually be the norm.

God I hope that won't be the case.

Maybe you should create a thread on it.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   

hehe...
I'd hate to draw attention to something that barely deserves any time of day at all lol.
Basically it's been done before, really, ATS is all about how much the Mainstream Media just sucks overall anyways...
You're right though, it'll be covered and discarded and the public will be reassured and placated... while we eat our meat pies and sink a few cleansing stubbies.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I stopped eating meat pies the day I found out there's not really meat at all.

I don't drink either.

It's hard being a 19 year old Australian male when you do neither of those and can't stand the footy.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I've thought about moving to Australia or NZ to escape what is likely to happen in the US but something keeps me from going that route. I feel I choose the area I was born in for a very particular reason. The USA may not be safer than many other countries but the alternative does not appeal. What have been some of the predictions for Australia or NZ? NZ seems likely for upheaval geologically despite it's milder climates and access to both inland and fishing food sources. As for Aus, I don't know enough about it. Awfully close to China and it's also suffering from immigration issues.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   

This is a very timely revelation for me as I am currently in the middle of re-re-re reading 1984..............

I'm in SA and have not heard of this either. So it's not just NSW being kept in the dark. And I'm sure if NSW is bringing in this technology then VIC and SA will no doubt follow suit.

For the record, I wholeheartedly agree with the posters here who dislike the 7pm project. What a terrrible 'newstainment' show ugh!

Also yes, most people I know are happy as long as they have their pies, beer and footy (sigh). I'd like to throw Masterchef and Idol into the mix as well. Sad really. Thankfully Big Brother has been given the boot.

My kids have no choice but to hear about actual news as opposed to newstainment - I am constantly babbling about daily news items i've read on ATS. Am afraid the commercial stations 7 minutes of news followed by 15 minutes of sport, then weather just doesn't cut it for me!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join