It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Habayusa Space Probe Image Shadow Anomaly

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Japan's Hayabusa probe took this photo of the Earth, its moon and a starry background on May 12, 2010 as it limped home toward a planned June landing after visiting the asteroid Itokawa

The photograph taken on 5/12/2010 is of the Earth and the moon, from a distance of nearly 8.4 million miles (13.5 million km)
The Earth and the moon are shown hovered between the constellations Sagittarius and Capricornus.
The moon is seen as a separate bright object to the left of Earth, which is so bright it overwhelmed Hayabusa's sensor. Other stars Hayabusa's tracker also picked up, are visible and can be identified in the image

What is the giant gray shadow in the top middle of this picture? I mean, they said this thing was "limping" home, but everything in the picture is referenced except for this gigantor, hulking, gray, er, whatever it is, in the top middle of the pic.

No doubt it can easily be explained by one of ATS's resident pontificators.... (and I mean that affectionately, of course ;o)
www.space.com...

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
What a good find.

I've been meaning to get the maid to make a special effort... this space dust really is getting everywhere.

On a serious note though, if you're looking at what I am, then it could well be something that's on a similar course to the probe.

Whatever it is, it seems to be reflecting a little sunlight. Not a lot, but just enough to be detected by the probe's cameras. This suggests something with a dark surface. Perhaps an asteroid, or simliar.

It might also be a blemish on the lense of the camera. Which is always possible.

I suppose we won't really know until it returns to Earth with more data.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
It looks for all the world like a smudge on the window from a dog's nose.

Seriously, given the overall fairly crappy resolution, it's must just be a glitch in information transfer.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by stars15k
It looks for all the world like a smudge on the window from a dog's nose.

Seriously, given the overall fairly crappy resolution, it's must just be a glitch in information transfer.

lmao....maybe it's a "dog nose" star.....heh heh heh

top topics

join