It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Drunk' parrots falling out of trees, sky in Australia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   

'Drunk' parrots falling out of trees, sky in Australia

www.theprovince.com

SYDNEY - Hundreds of seemingly drunk parrots are falling out of trees and the sky in a northern Australian town, mystifying veterinary surgeons who are struggling to care for them.

The brightly coloured lorikeets are showing classic signs of drunkenness by losing all co-ordination and passing out, and then cowering in cages as they recover from their "hangovers".

Read more: www.theprovince.com...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I knew the Aussies enjoyed the nearest watering hole as much as anyone else, but I didn't know their birds joined them.

Why do they never question what's in the atmosphere? The article goes on to explain,

Hansen said nobody was sure what was causing the symptoms, although it may be a plant they are eating. Other theories include an outbreak of a mystery virus

Hansen said "drunk" lorikeets have been seen in Palmerston previously but never in such numbers, adding that the birds can die without proper care.

Hmm, maybe they should test the AIR?.

www.theprovince.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2-6-2010 by OurskiesRpoisoned]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Birds and many mammals will imbibe themselves by eating too much over ripe fruit literally making them drunk.
It is also a possibility that they have contracted a virus or something of that nature. I would check out the most common probabilities first before I worried about anything of a conspiratorial nature.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by OurskiesRpoisoned

Cool story.

They should look for some Sclerocarrya birrea growing around there somewhere. It only grows in Africa but who knows....

Peace

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
Birds and many mammals will imbibe themselves by eating too much over ripe fruit literally making them drunk.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Thats funny of they are getting drunk, but i do feel sorry for them....

Any one read the story about the Wallablies getting high??

The increasing trend, revealed in a state government Budget Estimates hearing, can explain the emergence of mysterious crop circles in many of Tasmania’s poppy fields, The Advertiser reports.

The wallabies break into the paddocks, eat the poppies and start running around in circles, said Attorney-General Lara Giddings.

“We have a problem with wallabies entering poppy fields, getting as high as a kite and going around in circles,” she said.

Source

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
sounds like that scene from "the day after tomorrow" where all the birds got drunk because the earths core stopped spinning. this is scary, what if those birds are sensitive to the earths magnetic field and it really is happening and we're all going to die. OH NOESSS!!!!

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Oh wow I didn't know that happened to animals! Poor things. They must be wondering what the heck is going on? LOL

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Why are they assuming they're drunk? Oh wait, I can answer that. Because that's more believable than my first thought of.....HAARP.

I think when they fire those babies up many animals loose their honing/navigational abilities. Could help to explain why sea animals beach themselves too. Austraila does have an HAARP too, right?

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I heard that squirrels will eat berries and then they ferment in the stomach and get them drunk. The accompanied was given for the reason squirrels fall off power lines. Probably urban lore, but I have seen some squirrels fall a lot!

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Lol...well I cant believe the vets arent looking towards over ripe fruits and berries of which there are quite a few in Oz.

Case and point: When I lived in New Hampshire I had a 45 foot ancient apple tree that had never been properly cared for so the fruit wasnt the greatest for the human palet, however I soon discovered that my Black Lab and Golden Retriever, found them MORE then palletable after they had laid on the ground for a couple weeks.

Alas one warmish fall evening as I called the dogs in for the night (having watched them having their way with countless bruised and rotting apples)The two of them starting running into cabinets, chairs and literally falling over. Soon all the stumbling around was met by the most sinister releases of hard cider off gassing this poor man's ollifactory senses ever did sniff. I spent the rest of the week cleaning every last apple out of the yard.

As a result I decided to do some research, apparently one of the top causes of death in the animal world next to position in the food chain is cirrhosis of the liver! From the consumption of fermented fruits and berries!...go figure

top topics

join