It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

INTERPOL Hails Iran War On Drugs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   

INTERPOL Hails Iran War On Drugs

www.presstv.ir

The president of the International Criminal Police Organization (INTERPOL) acknowledges the comprehensive efforts made by Iran to combat drug trafficking.

"World countries should learn from Iran's counter-narcotics experience," said Khoo Boon Hui in a Wednesday meeting with Iranian Police Chief Esmail Ahmadi-Moghaddam in Tehran.

"We should show world nations that INTERPOL member states are in fact part of a large family and are obliged to help each other out with their problems," he was quoted by IRNA as saying.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   

To counter drug trafficking, the Iranian government has deployed thousands of security personnel along its eastern borders and has erected over 1,000 km (620 miles) of embankments, canals, trenches, and cement walls.

United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime Executive Director Antonio Maria Costa has praised Iran for its efforts to stem the flow of drugs from Afghanistan to the West.

“The anti-narcotics police in Iran are among the best in the world,” he said in May 2009.

Yup, so Iran is a big bad place isn't it? Filled with unruly citizens and dictatorship government..

Seems they are quite good at keeping their drugs out of their borders. Funny how the US can't do the same with Mexico.

Thoughts?

~Keeper

www.presstv.ir
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Tooth
well my first thought is that if Iran was doing the exporting that wall, embankment and police would not be there.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
This might have something to do with their effectiveness too...

Trend News: Iran hangs five drug traffickers: report
Iran hangs five drug traffickers: report
10.04.2010 23:30
en.trend.az...

Iran has hanged five people convicted of drug trafficking, AFP reported on Saturday according to Mehr news agency.
None of the people sent to the gallows on Saturday at a prison in the northeastern city of Mashhad were identified in the report.
The latest hangings bring to at least 35 the number of people executed in Iran so far this year, according to an AFP count based on news reports. Last year, at least 270 people were hanged.
Tehran says the death penalty is essential to maintain public security and applied only after exhaustive judicial proceedings. Murder, rape, armed robbery, drug trafficking and adultery are all punishable by death in Iran.

www.handsoffcain.info...
IRAN: MAN EXECUTED IN AHWAZ FOR DRUG TRAFFICKING
May 23, 2010: a man was hanged in the Iranian province of Khuzestan for drug trafficking. 
According to a report for the official web site of Khuzestan judiciary, one man identified as "S. R." was hanged in the Karoun prison of Ahwaz. The man was convicted of carrying 675 grams of heroin according to the report. (Sources: Iran Human R

[edit on 2-6-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

That's certainly a tactic to deter drug trafficking if I ever saw one.

I have issues with their judicial system, but execution in the Middle East is quite popular so I guess they are just keeping with the times.

I wonder how many people were executed in the US last year?

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Wait huh.... Maybe I am misinterpreting this. Iran has the HIGHEST narcotic abuse rate in the world. Something like 2 percent of Iran is addicted to heroin. Something around that.

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 2-6-2010 by Maddogkull]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   

I wonder how many people were executed in the US last year?

Looks like 53, and 22 of them were in Texas.
www.deathpenaltyinfo.org...

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maddogkull
Wait huh.... Maybe I am misinterpreting this. Iran has the HIGHEST narcotic abuse rate in the world. Something like 2 percent of Iran is addicted to heroin. Something around that.

en.wikipedia.org...

That stat is 11 years old though...it was taken in "99...

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   

There are news articles i think from 2004, 2006 saying the same thing. It might be on bbc news

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

It could perhaps explain they have been trying so hard to keep the drug out of the country?

You see 2% of your population addicted to opiates, the government has a responsiblity to respond. I guess this is their way of doing so.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
The FACT REMAINS that iran has a massive heroin issue, largely because of the extreme poverty and high access. Killing a few users and dealers to make a show for the UNor interpol dog and pony show propping up the failed war on some drugs, does NOTHINg to address abuse. Nothing.

Heroin addicts CANNOT reform themselves because they see another addict killed, either in the street or in a prison. Until ALL drugs are REGULATED and not left to the black market to deal with, these horrors will continue.

A soul is a soul, after all.WWJD?

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

Iran Grapples With Drug Problem Jan 2010

Mahmoud Ahmedinejad, the Iranian president, has proposed a budget estimated at $368bn for 2011, with a promise that spending will focus on agriculture, education and research. It is unclear how much of this budget will go on tackling the nation’s rising drug problem, though opium continues to pour into the country from neighbouring Afghanistan. In the last 10 months, Al Jazeera correspondent Alireza Ronaghi reports that police have seized over 400 tonnes of drugs and have lost dozens of police officers in the attempt to eradicate drug abuse in the Iranian capital, Tehran. Now some public security officials are saying the effort to chase and arrest drug dealers and users is almost pointless in the face of the sheer quantity of narcotics brought into the capital city every day. At a conference on drug control in Tehran this week, Brigadier-General Hamidreza Hosseinabadi, head of Iran’s anti-drug task force, criticised international organisations and Western powers for their lack of co-operation. “Those who chase terrorists in Afghanistan, they have left drug traffickers free. “I think they even guide traffickers. They allow a fifty percent increase of drug production in Afghanistan’s Helmand province, where the head quarters of British forces is located. What does that mean?” Hosseinabadi asked. Antonino De Leo, the representative of UN office on Drugs and Crime in Iran, says he is eager to help but his hands are tied. “Our technical assistance programme … is funded by …

It seems a deterrent for trafficking doesn't have the same effect on use. I think a measure of success has to include use, right?

[edit on 2-6-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
The "War on Drugs" in the USA is often synonymous with the government pushing the limits of the people's civil liberties. Authorities have used drugs as an excuse to throw large numbers of people in prison, search people's homes, and arrest people. It does not surprise me that a totalitarian regime would be really good at snuffing out drug crime.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by richierich

Agreed. Just because the cops are cracking down, will not stop the ongoing abuse in iran. Do you think just because a dealer goes behind bars or gets killed, would stop an addict from just finding smack somewhere else? Nope. Drugs should be legalized. There is to many problems with them being illegal.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Before you can attack a nation you must first dehumanize them so that the citizens will feel no remorse for the actions of their government. Iranians are very much human.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   

I feel you though, as far as demonizing the Iranian people goes. I don't think a country's citizens should not be judged by it's leader's stance/remarks, it is inaccurate and unfair.
Peace

new topics

top topics

join