It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Hispaniolan Solenodon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
The only known mammal in the world that can inject venom through it's teeth is the Hispaniolan Solenodon. This is a very odd little creature so i thought ATS might be interested. Mammals that can deliver a venomous bite are rare enough but the ones we know of already tend to have saliva full of toxin which enters their prey when the skin is broken. However the Hispaniolan has a groove running along one of it's incisors which the saliva travels down.

Close Encounter with A Bizarre Venemous Beast

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/52d9a893dc0b.jpg[/atsimg]

They're starting a proper research project, running over the next three years to discover more about this little mammal as very little is known.

EDIT to add photo

[edit on 2-6-2010 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Don't worry, I'm sure some idiot in a Florida apartment will try to have one of these things as a pet.

It is a little odd bugger though isn't it?

King

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
interesting story

I always thought some snakes like the cobra and a few others did this also, but it has been a long while since I have read up on it...
I have heard there are big shortages on many different types of anti-poison remedies also, maybe now isn't a good time to get bit by venomous creatures

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by alienreality
interesting story

I always thought some snakes like the cobra and a few others did this also, but it has been a long while since I have read up on it...

I must admit that my knowledge of snakes is limited but yes i think you are right that some cobras use a similar mechanism. This makes it even more interesting as this mammal is thought to be a pretty old species.

Originally posted by alienreality
I have heard there are big shortages on many different types of anti-poison remedies also, maybe now isn't a good time to get bit by venomous creatures

I have to ask, is there ever a good time to get bitten by something venemous?

new topics

top topics

join