It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Council job being offered only to ethnic minorities

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
www.independent.co.uk...

A council today defended a decision to exclude white people from applying to join a management training scheme.

Bristol City Council is facing criticism after the two-year graduate placement, worth £18,000, was offered only to ethnic minorities.

This is another example of disgusting racism.

As far as i am concerned the councils excuse of...

the process was legal and is addressing an imbalance in the ethnic mix of its workforce.

Is shallow and pathetic... If the Council has an imbalance in the ethnic mix of its workforce, due to racist management only picking white people for jobs, then they should address that and take the appropriate action where needed.

However, if the Council has an imbalance in the ethnic mix of its workforce due the fact that more white people have simply been more suitable for the roles offered, then I’m sorry, but so be it!!!

People should be employed purely on their merits and ability to do a job. And if that means you end up with a workforce that is predominately white/black or whatever... then so what!? As long as the interview process has been fair and everyone is given an equal chance!!

It is exactly this sort of behaviour that is giving fuel to the far right groups like the BNP.

My wife, who is black, said that if she ever discovered that she had been employed, in order for her employer to meet some ethnic quota, she would walk out... This is just as insulting to black people as it is to white people.

It’s almost as if the council is saying "ahh poor black people, can’t get a job on your own? have this one on us"

How patronising can you get?

By trying to be politically correct, this council has in my opinion, demonstrated racism towards black and white people...

I sometime wonder if things like this are part of a conspiracy to keep us divided!

Disgusting...

[edit on 2-6-2010 by Muckster]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
When a business starts hiring people because of their skin color and not the best person for the job, that is when they usually go belly up. This is rediculous. All of this racism that bashes me in the face everyday makes me ill to the point where i just want to fling a burning bag of poo on someones door.

MessOnTheFED!

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
the company have got to be seen to hire minorities in their business.. this is due to equality and diversity...

wer is the equality in interviewing white people?.. that sounds pretty racist to me..

hmmm..

think about it people how long are we gonna let this continue?.. its our countries futures here

i believe WWIII will be a religious war..

[edit on 2-6-2010 by emayarsh]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
The UK fire service has being doing this for years with the full support of the Fire Brigades Union and the Labour givernment. Open days were held solely for ethnic minorities and women. At these open days minority groups were shown how to fill in application forms and given help and info on how to get through what was a very rigorous interview process. In fact the majority of people who applied for the job often fell at the first post, which was the application form, and minority groups were steered through that process. When serving firefighters complained to the union or to management they were told that minority groups were under represented in the fire service and that our attitude could be seen as racist by certain people in the brigade. We risked being suspended from duty whilst investigations were carried out into our so called racist behaviour, with the union fully endorsing that action. We were also warned that anyone who heard a comment about positive discrimination could be disciplined for not reporting that comment. This is still common practice and also happens in the police force. Recently South Yorks Fire Service sacked a 15 year service fire fighter for allegedly not reporting a racist comment he had suppsedly heard someone make. I have never been comfortable with it and never will.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by bwcorky
The UK fire service has being doing this for years with the full support of the Fire Brigades Union and the Labour givernment. Open days were held solely for ethnic minorities and women. At these open days minority groups were shown how to fill in application forms and given help and info on how to get through what was a very rigorous interview process. In fact the majority of people who applied for the job often fell at the first post, which was the application form, and minority groups were steered through that process. When serving firefighters complained to the union or to management they were told that minority groups were under represented in the fire service and that our attitude could be seen as racist by certain people in the brigade. We risked being suspended from duty whilst investigations were carried out into our so called racist behaviour, with the union fully endorsing that action. We were also warned that anyone who heard a comment about positive discrimination could be disciplined for not reporting that comment. This is still common practice and also happens in the police force. Recently South Yorks Fire Service sacked a 15 year service fire fighter for allegedly not reporting a racist comment he had suppsedly heard someone make. I have never been comfortable with it and never will.

so as i understand it..

they would rather hire a in-competant black person rather than a competant white person just for the sake of diversity??

thats too far.. that could actually put lives at risk

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Above the safety and competency issues, this is plain racism. Racism just like affirmative action here in the states. As I told my black friends if you voted for Obama BECAUSE he is black then you are a racist, a true in your face, no parsing words Racist. Just because your racism seems to help you "people" not only does damage to they human soul but sets you up for further repression.

The Latinos here in America are doing the same thing trying to get special permission to break US law and immigrate to this country through illegal means. Looks like all those civil rights activists were constipated, want they really wanted was the power to repress others, not equal treatment.

"not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their heart........" Just another lie!

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Yes i knew this would be about the UK when i read the title.

Maybe they know the immigrants will one day be ran out of town so they wont need to find the pensions when the time comes.

The PC department is taking this action to ensure we realy do end up with blood on the streets because people will only be push so far.

[edit on 2-6-2010 by LieBuster]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
its right.. not only now are imigrants coming into the country to help with jobs we dont want.. i.e. taxi/fast food services they are now having childeren that are going to college to get a degree in business and such.

I think its safe to say the English are fairly tolerant but you can only push us so far until we snap.

And we do snap..... woooohhhhhh get readyyy

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Precisely why our state and national governments here in the US have become dysfunctional. They hire based on quotas but of course saving the best jobs for the "old boys network".
I hope this blows up in their faces. I agree, this is an affront to both blacks and whites.
Thanks muckster for bringing light on yet more government idiocy.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Just another example of the hierocracy we are living under.
"We are all equal. racism is evil and really we should be kicking it out of the door. To prove our point, we are specifically going to give job to ethnics (I refuse to use the word minority anymore.)
How about those council members get sacked for stupidity and we, the people, decide to employ those that aren’t PC orientated so that we never have to hear about this kind of crap again?
As for the post about the fire service, only those who are capable should be giving the job.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by LieBuster

If you think this is going on only in the UK then you are sadly mistaken.

apnews.myway.com...

By BEN EVANS

WASHINGTON (AP) - Stung by a series of inquiries, nearly half the members of the Congressional Black Caucus want to scale back the aggressive ethics procedures that Democrats trumpeted after gaining control of Congress. Rep. Marcia Fudge, D-Ohio, and 19 fellow black lawmakers in the all-Democratic caucus quietly introduced a resolution last week that would restrict the powers of the new independent Office of Congressional Ethics. The office, formed by Congress in 2008, is run by a panel of private citizens. Black caucus Chairwoman Barbara Lee, D-Calif., is among the sponsors, but the full 42-member caucus did not endorse the measure. Lee declined comment through a spokesman. The absence of support from top Democratic leaders for Fudge's proposal - including from House Whip Jim Clyburn, a black caucus member from South Carolina - suggests that it isn't going anywhere. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi offered no immediate comment. Since its inception, the ethics office has investigated at least eight black caucus members, including veteran Rep. Charlie Rangel, D-N.Y., and five others in that group over privately funded trips to the Caribbean. Some lawmakers have complained that the increased transparency of the new office is unfair to lawmakers who are ultimately cleared of wrongdoing. Fudge's spokeswoman did not immediately respond Wednesday to requests for comment on the proposal. The office, which doesn't have the power to sanction lawmakers, essentially serves as an advisory board to the House Committee on Standards of Official Conduct, a congressional committee run by lawmakers who are charged with policing their colleagues. The citizen-run ethics panel is far more open than the notoriously secretive standards committee, publicizing its referrals even when the standards committee finds no violations. Fudge's proposal would remove that power, and allow lawmakers on the standards committee to seal from public view the ethics office's findings on matters deemed meritless. The resolution also would make it harder for the ethics office to initiate investigations, requiring a sworn complaint from a citizen claiming personal knowledge of an alleged violation. That could prevent complaints from watchdog groups, for example. It would prevent the standards committee from taking a referral from the ethics office within 60 days before an election in which the subject of the case is a candidate.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
This is the kind of thing that appalls me. Why is it called equality if only a certain section of society is allowed to apply? That is the definition of INequality. Unfortunately I have seen adverts for job vacancies in the care sector locally that have said something along the lines of the same thinking. "Minority applicants preferred." As someone who is white and actively looking for work, it is extremely disheartening and frustrating, as job ability is plainly not down to skin colour, yet this issue is pushed time and time again.

If this is about meeting "quotas" then the system has a slight case of gut rot. Good luck on not hiring the best person for the job, because they would only have dragged the company down by being efficient and qualified.
I am interested to know if there is a minimum legal percentage of white people that have to be employed in this country? Or is it impossible for racism to be levelled AT us?

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I can't say I'm surprised by this. I lived in Bristol and you should see how they treated a guy who worked in the council back in the 90s who became a woman through post-operative gender reassignment - she was ostracised, isolated, excluded from meetings, etc. Disgusting! It was covered on a local news program.

All organisations, big or small, public or private sector, must be tightly regulated by punishing employment laws set down by the state whereby they are held financially liable for such things as discrimination (sexual and racial), hatred and bullying. Granted more is done now than ever before, but not nearly enough.

[edit on 2-6-2010 by the.lights]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
One thing i would like to add to this...

Story’s like this one are often used as an excuse to vent racist opinions and rhetoric...
This is, apart from being ignorant, acting just as badly as the people who would only employ a Black person to balance the books...

Story’s like this should make us angry (after all it is an injustice) But the moment that anger is aimed at an entire race of people, rather than the individual perpetrators of the injustice, is the moment we become part of the problem!

Never forget the divide and concur mentality of TPTB.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

I quite agree. I'm all for diversity as long as no one is singled out, but this whole thing boils my brain.

I do feel that most people are downright scared to voice their true opinions about this due to the PC nature of our society and the repercussions of being labelled a racist, so it is allowed to happen.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   

But there is something that I must say to my people who stand on the warm threshold which leads into the palace of justice. In the process of gaining our rightful place we must not be guilty of wrongful deeds. Let us not seek to satisfy our thirst for freedom by drinking from the cup of bitterness and hatred.

I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

When we let freedom ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual, "Free at last! free at last! thank God Almighty, we are free at last!"

When the balance tips in the "other" direction:
... someone is drinking from the cup of bitterness.
... someone is being judged by the color of their skin.
... no one can join hands.
... no one can sing "... free at last...".

[edit on 6/2/2010 by abecedarian]

new topics

top topics

join