It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. is world's top user of targeted killings, U.N. says

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   

U.S. is world's top user of
targeted killings, U.N. says

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fa2efd066b5a.jpg[/atsimg]
Global Hawk Drone

Washington (CNN)
The United States was identified Wednesday as the world's No. 1 user of
targeted killings -- largely as a result of its dependence on unmanned drone
attacks in Pakistan and Afghanistan.

A report released by the United Nations called the drone attacks part of a
"strongly asserted but ill-defined license to kill without accountability"
and warned that they are contributing to an erosion of longstanding
international rules governing warfare. It urged states to identify publicly
the rules of international law believed to provide a basis for any attempted
targeted killings as well as the rationale for deciding to kill instead of capture
individuals.

www.cnn.com...

[edit on 2-6-2010 by boondock-saint]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I certainly agree with this
I think accountability on the battlefield
sets the standard for future encounters.
If the US attacks stealthy, then why not
terrorists.

[edit on 2-6-2010 by boondock-saint]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

excellent point good sir. that is an excellent point, there is a double-standard here. when one has a massive propaganda machine backing it, of course its gonna make the other side look evil and your side the good guys. drones are no different than a guy with bombs strapped to his chest under his coat. none...

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheCoffinman
reply to post by boondock-saint

excellent point good sir. that is an excellent point, there is a double-standard here. when one has a massive propaganda machine backing it, of course its gonna make the other side look evil and your side the good guys. drones are no different than a guy with bombs strapped to his chest under his coat. none...

from the way I see it
there is no good side anymore
it's all become bad
on BOTH sides.

and yes the double standard
can sink ships faster than a torpedo.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Of course it is.

The most technologically advanced tools are in the hands of those who have "Kill all terrorists" tattooed on their souls. Sadly, I would wager that MOST of the so-called "targeted killings" were NOT carried out by military operations, but by private contractors and the CIA... it is their last venue of competence.

In what way does the UN saying so make this any more outrageous? Were there any 'second-place' runner ups that really could compete with unrestricted UAV air assaults anywhere they claim to detect "terrorists"?

"Targeted Killings" is a lame euphemism for assassination. I'm surprised that even the UN would be so childishly manipulative as to create a "newspeak" term for it. Like the CIA's "waterboarding" instead of torture, like the insurance company's "negative outcome" instead of death.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
i know this is a little off topic but those drones are much bigger than i had imagined. I thought they were supposed to be small unmaned planes? That thing looks as big as a Fighter jet. Whats the point of spending all that money to make a huge plane that can fly itsself when you could just get a pilot?

MessOnTheFED!

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by MessOnTheFED!

Yes the global hawk drone is probably the largest of the UAV's in service right now. As the name implies it is capable of circling the globe. The body is mainly on giant fuel tank. The predator and reaper drones are quite a bit smaller. As to why they developed them and removed the pilots. If u spend years training a pilot and lose him in combat or training accidents then you have lost quite a large investment, whereas if u take that same pilot and put him at the controls of a drone and it is lost, u still have the experience and knowledge of the pilot. Then its simply a matter of connecting to another drone in the area and continuing your mission, much like a video game with several "lives"

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by azrael36

Ahhh I see your point there my good man (or woman). I wonder if these drones can fly missions by themselves, without a pilot on the other end?

MessOnTheFED!

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by MessOnTheFED!

Not yet... but I suspect its a safe bet they are working on it.

top topics

join